News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Out And About.

Started by mongers, November 07, 2012, 08:35:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alfred russel

Quote from: mongers on May 11, 2014, 07:12:54 PM

Well I saw on 'Who Do You Think You Are' that Cindy Crawford could trace her heritage all the way back to Charlemagne.  :cool: :hmm:

From what I understand, it isn't so special. Basically all people of western european origin are descended from him in some way, it is just a matter of finding the connection.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

The Brain

Quote from: mongers on May 11, 2014, 05:45:51 PM
Quote from: Maximus on May 11, 2014, 04:57:04 PM
Quote from: Valmy on April 02, 2014, 02:31:51 PM
My Patrilineal 8th Great Grandfather was 'John, Citizen of Wilts' according to my 6th Great Grandfather's brother.  I found it strange he called him a citizen as that seems like a modern term.  When did they come over?  17th Century?
I thought citizen was used in medieval Britain to refer to the inhabitant of a city.

What I've never understood about genealogy is how do you choose with paths/branches to follow?

Because it doesn't take going back too many generations to have a theoretically massive number of ancestors to choose from.
At what point does it become an exercise in betraying your own tastes rather than an inquiry into the past?

However you want. It's your family.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

mongers

Rather nice evening here, picked up a load of shopping on the way home and came back off-road.

Lots of solitary young deer about. Lovely evening light after the rain, but I forgot to take a camera with me.  <_<
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

mongers

Did about 30-35 miles in the Dorset countryside this evening, half of that distance off-road.

Set off at 5ish, got home before sunset, not too many people about, countryside greening up nicely.

mongers

Not seen this before, but along the route of the roman road, some sort of surface has perhaps been exposed by the winter rains:

And further along it, my path was 'blocked' by crows, surely that must be an omen?  :hmm:

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

mongers

Zanza

Did a nice two day hike through the Black Forest. About 35k and 1800 meter up, 1700 down. Awesome weather and a slight sunburn too. :)

garbon

Lovely beach day. Got a fair bit of tan even with my sunblock. Saw a lot of very red people - I hope their sunburns don't hurt too much tomorrow.  Always nice to get a chance to escape the city for a bit.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

mongers

Unlike you two lucky guys, it was a grey day here and the drizzle persisted for most of it .

However if I had gone out in the wet, I'd not have had the chance to stand on a old disused railway bridge over the river here and have swallows diving up and down alone the river's surface.

At one point some were flying below where I was standing whilst other were wheeling 5-6ft around my head as they turned to go back down the river.   :cool:

mongers

Long summer evenings are here, need to make better use of them.

Because we have barely 5 hours of darkness at the moment, I was out at near 10pm and could still see where I was going and it felt odd, light lingering and lingering, not wanting to go, knowing it would have to get active again at around 3.45am tomorrow.

edit:
Think I'll stay up till dawn 'this evening', since I got up so early today, see if I can do 24 hours without a kip, then maybe a bit more if I've got a lot on tomorrow.

KRonn

Quote from: mongers on May 14, 2014, 07:30:41 PM
Not seen this before, but along the route of the roman road, some sort of surface has perhaps been exposed by the winter rains:

And further along it, my path was 'blocked' by crows, surely that must be an omen?  :hmm:

Does the an old Roman road show any stones or whatever the Romans used to pave their roads? Or was it a dirt road and the new road is mostly built along the same route?

As for the crows, interesting...

mongers

Quote from: KRonn on May 28, 2014, 06:51:12 AM
Quote from: mongers on May 14, 2014, 07:30:41 PM

Does the an old Roman road show any stones or whatever the Romans used to pave their roads? Or was it a dirt road and the new road is mostly built along the same route?

As for the crows, interesting...

The bit I photographed was in park/sheep pasture, so rarely touched since those times, though it might have been ploughed during the war?

Generally it's on well drained land, so along it's route it might vary from just bare chalk to a substantial construction, indeed further on it turns into a well preserved 30ft wide and 6ft high feature in the landscape.

Caliga

There's some ancient Roman town near Basingstoke that is mostly buried but I think the ampitheater has been unearthed.  You should check it out, Mongers.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

mongers

Quote from: Caliga on May 28, 2014, 06:52:13 PM
There's some ancient Roman town near Basingstoke that is mostly buried but I think the ampitheater has been unearthed.  You should check it out, Mongers.

Silchester, I'll be going there again later in the year, but small beer compared to the Med.

Thought there is amphitheater around here that the Romans converted a henge monument to make one.