And we're back!

Main Menu

Out And About.

Started by mongers, November 07, 2012, 08:35:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mongers

Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 21, 2014, 08:20:54 PM
Quote from: mongers on April 21, 2014, 07:37:47 PM
You guys need to get out into your local countryside more.  :)

Why, we'll just come across a motorcade on the side of the road, with Joe Biden pissing in the bushes.

You're in the Ukraine!

edit:

Odd, because I saw you one the news today at the White House.  :)

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

CountDeMoney

I bunny-fucked Kathleen Sebelius.  Pimps Up Watership Down, bitch.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: mongers on April 21, 2014, 07:37:47 PM
You guys need to get out into your local countryside more.  :)

There is actually a huge empty field within walking distance of my house. I don't know if it's because it's considered a park and they were just too cheap to put any amenities, if it's too swampy to build on or just nobody's gotten around to utilizing it.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Maladict

Quote from: mongers on April 21, 2014, 03:29:16 PM

Did a bit of exploring, ended up on the downs and had one of those nice moments when you round a corner and end up someone where you've been before, but now you know where that turning you pass goes.  :bowler:

Those are nice, small discoveries and everything slots into place.

mongers

Quote from: Maladict on April 22, 2014, 03:08:04 AM
Quote from: mongers on April 21, 2014, 03:29:16 PM

Did a bit of exploring, ended up on the downs and had one of those nice moments when you round a corner and end up someone where you've been before, but now you know where that turning you pass goes.  :bowler:

Those are nice, small discoveries and everything slots into place.

Yeah, but there really isn't an excuse not to know all of the roads and byways within a 20-30 radius of here given how long I've lived here. 

mongers

Poped out this evening to attend a lecture on Shale Gas/Fracking by a Southampton university researcher, very interesting. 

Nice little trip up the valley and back through the edge of the forest at night; beautiful night skyscape on way home, no one about save me and the occasional moggy out for a nite prowl.

Going very little at the moment, save for pottling about doing mundane domestic stuff; almost the highlight of the week so far was cycling 19-20 miles on my little folding bike to return a can of paint a couple of evenings ago!  :blush:

The Brain

You ran an international pedophile ring to attend a lecture? :huh:
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Eddie Teach

The lecture was just his excuse.

mongers

Ended up doing more on my new bike than I'd intended yesterday.

Got over taken by a bunch of roadies, after a while, but then they slowed and ended up slowing me down, as I couldn't realistically overtake a dozen riders strung out on winding roads with horses and cattle in the way.   :hmm:

Maximus

Quote from: Valmy on April 02, 2014, 02:31:51 PM
My Patrilineal 8th Great Grandfather was 'John, Citizen of Wilts' according to my 6th Great Grandfather's brother.  I found it strange he called him a citizen as that seems like a modern term.  When did they come over?  17th Century?
I thought citizen was used in medieval Britain to refer to the inhabitant of a city.

mongers

Quote from: Maximus on May 11, 2014, 04:57:04 PM
Quote from: Valmy on April 02, 2014, 02:31:51 PM
My Patrilineal 8th Great Grandfather was 'John, Citizen of Wilts' according to my 6th Great Grandfather's brother.  I found it strange he called him a citizen as that seems like a modern term.  When did they come over?  17th Century?
I thought citizen was used in medieval Britain to refer to the inhabitant of a city.

What I've never understood about genealogy is how do you choose with paths/branches to follow?

Because it doesn't take going back too many generations to have a theoretically massive number of ancestors to choose from.
At what point does it become an exercise in betraying your own tastes rather than an inquiry into the past?

Eddie Teach

Quote from: mongers on May 11, 2014, 05:45:51 PM
What I've never understood about genealogy is how do you choose with paths/branches to follow?

Because it doesn't take going back too many generations to have a theoretically massive number of ancestors to choose from.
At what point does it become an exercise in betraying your own tastes rather than an inquiry into the past?

I think most of those branches disappear into the fog due to lack of records.

mongers

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on May 11, 2014, 06:06:21 PM

I think most of those branches disappear into the fog due to lack of records.

Well I saw on 'Who Do You Think You Are' that Cindy Crawford could trace her heritage all the way back to Charlemagne.  :cool: :hmm:

Sheilbh

My dad tried a few. Generations of tenant farmers, smallholders and milkmaids enlivened by the odd reputed gangster or All-Ireland boxing champion (who I think still holds the record of the quickest loss in a world championship fight - stopped in 88 seconds).
Let's bomb Russia!

Eddie Teach

Quote from: mongers on May 11, 2014, 07:12:54 PM
Well I saw on 'Who Do You Think You Are' that Cindy Crawford could trace her heritage all the way back to Charlemagne.  :cool: :hmm:

From Charlemagne sure. But can anyone trace their lineage to his number four stableboy from 792-796?