News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Out And About.

Started by mongers, November 07, 2012, 08:35:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed Anger

I have ancestors who bugged out because of their loyalty to Chuck the First.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Caliga

Yeah, a ton of Quakers from that same general area came over to Pennsylvania at roughly the same time.  For example, the town I grew up is named Warminster, named for Warminster in Wiltshire which is only like 10 miles from Cheverell.  There are also nearby towns named Bristol, Southampton, Abington, Buckingham, and Chalfont, which supplied lots of Quaker immigrants to the colony at that time. :cool:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Caliga

Quote from: Ed Anger on April 04, 2014, 08:21:44 PM
Ha, that's funny.  One of my 12th great grandfathers was Francis Windebank, who was his Secretary of State. :)

Ed Anger

Quote from: Caliga on April 04, 2014, 08:31:34 PM
Quote from: Ed Anger on April 04, 2014, 08:21:44 PM
Ha, that's funny.  One of my 12th great grandfathers was Francis Windebank, who was his Secretary of State. :)

Francis: I liketh big boobs
Cromwell: GTFO

Caliga

Shouldn't it be "Thou needeth implantes"? :hmm:

Ed Anger

Quote from: Caliga on April 04, 2014, 08:42:12 PM

Don't tell an artist how to construct his vision. :mad:

Caliga

Ed Anger

Eddie Teach

Not when addressing Oliver Cromwell. :x
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

The Brain

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on April 04, 2014, 11:08:11 PM

Not when addressing Oliver Cromwell. :x

He was famously busty?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

mongers

This evening picked a spot on the map I've not been to before, cycled there, did some exploring and then came home the long way, just got in before last light.

This mound on the horizon, map marked as a tumulus is in fact a large WW2 air-raid shelter, given it's in the middle of the forest, I don't think it was actively used, but rather used as a test bed for various designs and how well they withstood explosives/bombs, it being in the middle of a special bombing range. When the war ended, rather than dismantle it, they just buried in soil.

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

mongers

When you get a lot closure, 30-50 yards short of the 'tumulus' you come across this large 60-100 ft wide pond and whilst it supports lots of wildlife it isn't one, but rather a large bomb crater.

I believe it's the result of the last Grand Slam 'earthquake bomb' test, before it was used in action against strategic targets in Germany. In fact it might have been the only live test of one of the 10ton devices, the others being inert and aerodynamic tests.

My understanding is as a Lancaster of 617 squadron flew over the local town, they released the bomb at 15,000 feet and it carried onto the target some 2-3 miles further east before landing close to the 'target' and moving the whole concrete structure. This would have been early spring 1945. The next night they went into action with the device over germany.

mongers

Photo of the fresh crater and target:

garbon

Well that was a little terrifying. When I left work, police cars with flashing lights were blocking all of the side streets to 6th ave. A few seconds later a massive motorcade flew by. Who was it? Friggin' Obama. <_<
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Maladict

Quote from: mongers on April 11, 2014, 05:33:55 PM
When you get a lot closure, 30-50 yards short of the 'tumulus' you come across this large 60-100 ft wide pond and whilst it supports lots of wildlife it isn't one, but rather a large bomb crater.

I believe it's the result of the last Grand Slam 'earthquake bomb' test, before it was used in action against strategic targets in Germany. In fact it might have been the only live test of one of the 10ton devices, the others being inert and aerodynamic tests.

My understanding is as a Lancaster of 617 squadron flew over the local town, they released the bomb at 15,000 feet and it carried onto the target some 2-3 miles further east before landing close to the 'target' and moving the whole concrete structure. This would have been early spring 1945. The next night they went into action with the device over germany.

Cool  :cool: :bowler: