News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Out And About.

Started by mongers, November 07, 2012, 08:35:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malthus

My brother lives in Winchester. It's a beautiful place all right. The countryside around there is just what I think of when I think of England being a "green and pleasant land".  :)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

mongers

Quote from: Malthus on April 02, 2014, 02:04:19 PM
My brother lives in Winchester. It's a beautiful place all right. The countryside around there is just what I think of when I think of England being a "green and pleasant land".  :)

Given the amount of rain we've had this winter, our region was the wettest in the UK, It'll definitely been Green this year. Soon I'll be needing to take cutting tools with me, when I use the by-ways.  :hmm:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Valmy

Quote from: Caliga on April 01, 2014, 07:47:11 PM
Anyway my mom's family came over mostly from Wiltshire (also some from Kent, Essex, and West Riding of Yorkshire). :bowler:

My Patrilineal 8th Great Grandfather was 'John, Citizen of Wilts' according to my 6th Great Grandfather's brother.  I found it strange he called him a citizen as that seems like a modern term.  When did they come over?  17th Century?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote from: mongers on April 02, 2014, 02:13:35 PM
Given the amount of rain we've had this winter, our region was the wettest in the UK, It'll definitely been Green this year. Soon I'll be needing to take cutting tools with me, when I use the by-ways.  :hmm:

Having to hack your way through the growth doesn't sound very pleasant though.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

mongers

Quote from: Valmy on April 02, 2014, 02:31:51 PM
Quote from: Caliga on April 01, 2014, 07:47:11 PM
Anyway my mom's family came over mostly from Wiltshire (also some from Kent, Essex, and West Riding of Yorkshire). :bowler:

My Patrilineal 8th Great Grandfather was 'John, Citizen of Wilts' according to my 6th Great Grandfather's brother.  I found it strange he called him a citizen as that seems like a modern term.  When did they come over?  17th Century?

No idea, I'm not a genealogist, maybe it's just a term generated by the software/websites??

I agree it does sound modern, unless it's some obscure honorary term. Also Wilts to me is a modern abbreviation, I've not even heard any of my Wiltshire relatives refer to the county as that, always the full name.

Then again maybe it's some archiac use or form of words that hasn't made it down into modern or common use ?

Besides we're Subjects of the Queen here, not citizens, unless it's referring to the time of the Commonwealth?

Valmy

Quote from: mongers on April 02, 2014, 03:29:30 PM
No idea, I'm not a genealogist, maybe it's just a term generated by the software/websites??

I agree it does sound modern, unless it's some obscure honorary term. Also Wilts to me is a modern abbreviation, I've not even heard any of my Wiltshire relatives refer to the county as that, always the full name.

Then again maybe it's some archiac use or form of words that hasn't made it down into modern or common use ?

Besides we're Subjects of the Queen here, not citizens, unless it's referring to the time of the Commonwealth?

It is from his writings.  He was a fairly prolific author (in London of course there were no authors selling anything in Marlyand back then), though he often wrote under a pseudonym as he wrote a lot of anti-slavery tracts (or maybe not for that reason at all, 18th century people loved to write using pseudonyms for some reason).  Yeah I do not get that use of the term but I bet you are right it was probably just being used in an archaic sense.

I am fairly sure the Civil War and the Restoration were a big reason for them ending up in Maryland in the first place but how and why I have no idea.  Some cousins were in the MPs in the Long Parliament but were purged by that Pryde guy but were confusingly included in both Protectorate Parliaments and then the Cavalier parliament.  Politicians eh?  So who knows it could have been some sort of anti-monarchist statement or a reference to that era, but he wrote this in the 1740s so I doubt it.

mongers

First trees out here are weeping willows. 

Most of the wildlife hereabouts look to have weathered winter well; horses, donkeys, cattle and deer seen in the forest today looked fine.
One of which might have been a white hart/albino?  :bowler:

mongers

Did a little exploring in the forest this evening, ended up here, location of King William Rufus's death/murder:

Malthus

Was an accident. Says so right on the stone.

:ph34r:
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Valmy

Never trust the Tyrells.  Not the last King they have taken out.

Anyway it is pretty badass just to run into stuff like that walking around.

garbon

When I walk around, I can run into bums peeing on themselves. Is that badass? :unsure:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Valmy

Quote from: garbon on April 04, 2014, 03:58:29 PM
When I walk around, I can run into bums peeing on themselves. Is that badass? :unsure:

I guess if you consider stumbling on a place where a historic figure was killed equivalent in interest to bums peeing, then sure. :P

garbon

I don't. I just wanted to know if my not so interesting options were neat too. :(
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Caliga

Quote from: Valmy on April 02, 2014, 02:31:51 PM
Yes, mostly before 1700.  I had an ancestor who lived in Cheverell in Wiltshire and came over in 1682.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Valmy

Quote from: Caliga on April 04, 2014, 07:39:12 PM
Yes, mostly before 1700.  I had an ancestor who lived in Cheverell in Wiltshire and came over in 1682.

Awesome.  It is pretty common and an interesting way to see how the religious unrest, the Civil War, and all that impacted regular people.  Even Cromwell was really close to leaving for America at one point.