News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Out And About.

Started by mongers, November 07, 2012, 08:35:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caliga

Where exactly in England do you live again Mongers? :)
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

mongers

Quote from: Caliga on March 31, 2014, 04:20:45 PM
Where exactly in England do you live again Mongers? :)

Central Southern England (Wessex).
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

KRonn

Yeah, it's that time of year in northern climates to start getting back outside a lot more.  :) 

mongers

Quote from: KRonn on April 01, 2014, 06:58:12 AM
Yeah, it's that time of year in northern climates to start getting back outside a lot more.  :)

Yes, today was a nice afternoon just to be staying outdoors, even in the evening. 

Late afternoon I popped out to the site of Tarrant Rushton Airfield, from where many of the D-day and Arnhem transport/gliders took off from. Including the Ox and Bucks light infantry who captured Pegasus bridge at just after midnight, 6th June.

There's a memorial to the airborne forces/glider forces who served there, it stand next to one of the remaining re-purposed hangers.

Caliga

Quote from: mongers on March 31, 2014, 07:50:08 PM
:hmm: I don't really understand how England works re: states/provinces.  Do you mind explaining?  For example I thought Wessex was one of the old petty kingdoms but not a modern province or county or whatever like Kent.

edit: This is actually relevant to my work for reasons I cannot get into atm. :)

mongers

Quote from: Caliga on April 01, 2014, 03:06:02 PM
Quote from: mongers on March 31, 2014, 07:50:08 PM
:hmm: I don't really understand how England works re: states/provinces.  Do you mind explaining?  For example I thought Wessex was one of the old petty kingdoms but not a modern province or county or whatever like Kent.

edit: This is actually relevant to my work for reasons I cannot get into atm. :)

Wessex is just an affectation, re-invented in the 19th century, you might as well say I traveled across Hardy country today.  It has no basis in national or local government.   

England's organised into counties, unitary boroughs/cities and metropolitan areas like London and Manchester.  But there's more than one model, so in my home county Hampshire, it has both single tier unitary city borough which provide all services and others like my own district council that shares responsibility with the county council.

Above this there are loose geographical areas composed of several counties, but that tends to be mostly for statistical purposes and a few odds and sods. So English regions don't carry much importance.

I live right on a county boundary, one is grouped into South-East England the other in South-West England. That's probably why the notion of Wessex is popular around here as it links counties with similar landscape and often shared history.

Hampshire (with the ancient capital of Winchester), Wiltshire, Dorset, West Sussex, Berkshire and parts of both Somerset and Oxfordshire are generally considered as Wessex. 

Caliga

Valmy

If you go a bit north will people say you have entered Mercia?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

mongers

Quote from: Valmy on April 01, 2014, 03:45:07 PM

There are a few government organizations and private utilities that are organized on a regional basis, so yes sometimes, you could for instance be arrested by West Mercia police:

http://www.westmercia.police.uk/about-us/

Eddie Teach

Quote from: mongers on April 01, 2014, 03:53:22 PM
Quote from: Valmy on April 01, 2014, 03:45:07 PM

There are a few government organizations and private utilities that are organized on a regional basis, so yes sometimes, you could for instance be arrested by West Mercia police:

http://www.westmercia.police.uk/about-us/

Doesn't Schengen allow people from Wessex to legally enter Mercia?  :hmm:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Valmy

If I am arrested by the Mercians can I appeal to King Offa?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Capetan Mihali

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on April 01, 2014, 04:48:12 PM
Doesn't Schengen allow people from Wessex to legally enter Mercia?  :hmm:

No Schengen in the UK. :(
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

mongers

Quote from: Valmy on April 01, 2014, 04:50:27 PM
If I am arrested by the Mercians can I appeal to King Offa?

Depends if you're in league with his estranged wife.

Caliga

Anyway my mom's family came over mostly from Wiltshire (also some from Kent, Essex, and West Riding of Yorkshire). :bowler: