News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Out And About.

Started by mongers, November 07, 2012, 08:35:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KRonn

Quote from: mongers on November 15, 2013, 04:57:55 PM
Coming home last night through the edge of the forest, not a soul about or for that matter any cattle, horses, deer or donkeys, I guess they move uphill to kip overnight in the ferns/bracken. 

Could have done most of the journey moonlit, save for the occasional tunnel of trees requiring lights. 

I can sort of see how others, down the years, have accused me of 'hobbit tendencies'.   :bowler:

You do seem to live in a Shire type landscape!   [smile]

mongers

Quote from: KRonn on November 19, 2013, 08:19:01 AM
Quote from: mongers on November 15, 2013, 04:57:55 PM
Coming home last night through the edge of the forest, not a soul about or for that matter any cattle, horses, deer or donkeys, I guess they move uphill to kip overnight in the ferns/bracken. 

Could have done most of the journey moonlit, save for the occasional tunnel of trees requiring lights. 

I can sort of see how others, down the years, have accused me of 'hobbit tendencies'.   :bowler:

You do seem to live in a Shire type landscape!   [smile]

:D

Though blinged-out Range Rovers/SUVs in front of the plush houses in the forest, rather spoil that.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

KRonn

But I expect those Range Rovers and SUVs are compact versions, to reflect the Hobbit size of their owners.   ;)

mongers

Early this evening popped out to view the sea, just got there before dark, nice dusk lit seascape as the colour slowly drained away.

Home in the dark and high 30f 'heat', some of my extremities got somewhat cold.

Nice little 22-23 mile trip on the bike.

Probably my last weekday trip out of any note till the spring.  :(

mongers

Rather unimaginatively visited the sea this afternoon, not too bad out, the northerlies have slowed and temperatures holding in the mid to high 40s.  :)

mongers

Had an afternoon off, so did some local noodling all within 2-3 miles of home exploring little roads and tracks I never go do. This in an effort to make a map of the area and find some old route-ways.

Nice sunny afternoon:

There are a lot of these small stream falling off the forest hills before entering the main river, generally pretty clear and a good source of water for the wildlife:

Deer tracks? :

I seemed to have missed most of the forest's colour change:

I'm in a reflective mood ? :

CountDeMoney

It's information like that that makes me wish I had access to TLAM route planning and guidance systems.

mongers

Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 26, 2013, 01:51:44 PM
It's information like that that makes me wish I had access to TLAM route planning and guidance systems.

What's that ?

derspiess

Quote from: mongers on November 26, 2013, 02:05:11 PM

What's that ?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tomahawk_(missile)

But don't worry, he'd target me before he'd target you.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

CountDeMoney

mongers

Quote from: derspiess on November 26, 2013, 02:14:55 PM
Quote from: mongers on November 26, 2013, 02:05:11 PM

What's that ?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tomahawk_(missile)

But don't worry, he'd target me before he'd target you.

Yeah, plus he'd have to leave the continental USA to get tomahawks close enough to me to launch them.  :D

mongers

Managed to get out and do some shopping this evening, did 13-14 miles, mainly cross country on gravel forest tracks or old railway-lines.

Bike handled ok, considering I only had some armoured 28mm tyres on and loaded it up with 19-20 lbs of groceries.   :)

Maybe be doing more off-road with this bike now, even though it's more of a road hybrid than anything else, just need to take things a bit easier, at least this way I'm be encountering less 'challenged' motorists.

mongers

I'm just popping out, I may be some time.  :bowler:

mongers

Finally managing to get out and about more, now the weather is springlike; popped out across the New Forest, to my old college and back on the new bike.

Somewhere along this ornamental drive are some of England tallest trees, hard to photo:

mongers

Nice early evening out and about, nearly everything bar the trees seems to be in bloom.  :bowler: