Main Menu

Out And About.

Started by mongers, November 07, 2012, 08:35:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malthus

Quote from: mongers on October 15, 2013, 07:55:20 AM
Quote from: Sheilbh on October 14, 2013, 10:10:55 PM
Quote from: Tamas on October 09, 2013, 07:29:47 AM
I would be a bit wary of the wildlife (including dogs, maybe humans) during the night on some godforsaken country road.  :hmm:
The most threatening experience I've had of British wildlife was a narrow path filled with angry looking cows.

Yeah, it's an sorry comparison compared to what our American or Australian posters have.   :D

I came close to running into a jaywalking bear on the way back from my parent's cottage this weekend. That's the second time in more or less the same place.

Fucker should look before he crosses, or I'll have a free bearskin rug.  :P 

Also, on the same trip, someone ahead of me ran over a skunk, and the stink cloud it made was just incredible.  :yuk:
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

mongers

Quote from: Malthus on October 15, 2013, 03:32:44 PM
Quote from: mongers on October 15, 2013, 07:55:20 AM
Quote from: Sheilbh on October 14, 2013, 10:10:55 PM
Quote from: Tamas on October 09, 2013, 07:29:47 AM
I would be a bit wary of the wildlife (including dogs, maybe humans) during the night on some godforsaken country road.  :hmm:
The most threatening experience I've had of British wildlife was a narrow path filled with angry looking cows.

Yeah, it's an sorry comparison compared to what our American or Australian posters have.   :D

I came close to running into a jaywalking bear on the way back from my parent's cottage this weekend. That's the second time in more or less the same place.

Fucker should look before he crosses, or I'll have a free bearskin rug.  :P 

Also, on the same trip, someone ahead of me ran over a skunk, and the stink cloud it made was just incredible.  :yuk:

Only a lawyer would hold wildlife to have infringed a road traffic law.   :P
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

mongers

Homeward bound down the valley, face buried into a strong southwesterly, vees of gulls tacking above me on their evening commute.  Half way back we bump into wings of geese flying on the wind. Wondered if the two species might 'dogfight' around me. 

merithyn

:)

I really do love your posts.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

mongers

mongers

Just been out to check my 'manor' plenty of small debris in the roads , the occasional power line or small tree down, otherwise not a lot of damage, other than this one large oak irreparably weakened in an exposed spot 5 miles up the road.

Because it was getting dark, couldn't tell if it was a fast or slow growth oak, might have been barely 100 years old or could have been 18th century or earlier.  :(

mongers

The short winter days have just about arrived.  :(

The Brain

Having visited England in wintertime I am intrigued by the winter that's just a bit cool and rainy and not the deep freeze BS we get here.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

mongers

Quote from: The Brain on November 07, 2013, 05:15:23 PM
Having visited England in wintertime I am intrigued by the winter that's just a bit cool and rainy and not the deep freeze BS we get here.

Yeah, that would get me and most English people really down; I don't know how you guys cope.  :hmm:

Barrister

Quote from: mongers on November 07, 2013, 05:53:07 PM

Yeah, that would get me and most English people really down; I don't know how you guys cope.  :hmm:

You bundle up, and enjoy the snow. :)
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

mongers

Quote from: Barrister on November 07, 2013, 05:54:33 PM
Quote from: mongers on November 07, 2013, 05:53:07 PM

You bundle up, and enjoy the snow. :)

England is to snow, as water is to oil.

11B4V

Back from the high country bitches.

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

mongers

:cool:

Looks like fun and proper outdoors living, 111B.

Nearest high country to me, is in another country, Black Mountains in Wales.  :(

11B4V

Quote from: mongers on November 07, 2013, 08:15:39 PM
:cool:

Looks like fun and proper outdoors living, 111B.

Nearest high country to me, is in another country, Black Mountains in Wales.  :(

Had a good time and walked a total of 25 miles. Getting to old for that shit at 47. A lot of good guys up there and I have yet to run into any assholes. Storm blew in the night of the 2nd and was snowing like hell. Had to move lower to follow the Elk. When the snow hits the ground they start moving to lower elevations. No legal elk just spikes and cows. The bigger bulls were being cagey. Seen four hanging in various camps ranging from 3 point to 5 point bulls.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Razgovory

What the hell did you do out there?  Did you cut down all those trees?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017