News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Out And About.

Started by mongers, November 07, 2012, 08:35:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mongers

Quote from: garbon on May 28, 2013, 12:16:21 AM
It was so nice in the city today that I decided to walk along the westside. Ended up making it down to whitehall terminal - so google informs me my walk was over 3 miles long.

I also saw a bunch of palm trees going indoors which apparently is the winter garden atrium.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winter_Garden_Atrium

:cool:

Sounds nice and urbane.

I miss going for similar long wanders in London, maybe I should get myself in gear ?
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

mongers

Now that summer is here, I'm feeling better and it's sunny warm, I need to get out more and you know go places; I shall make a target list of 'attractions'.   :bowler:

garbon

Took the car out today for a spin to Long Beach/Jones Beach. Given that it was a good 20 degrees cooler than the city - and remarkably easy to get to once I found a good (non-freeway) route, I think I know where I'll be spending time this summer.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

mongers

This evening I went up the valley to Stonehenge with a pit-stop at Salisbury, pretty nice evening with lots of sunshine.  Left a little after 5pm and was home at 10pm just before dark. 

Didn't have much time to stop or take photos, as I'd set off late.

Maladict

Just back from a trip to Scotland, man there's some nice scenery there.  :cool:

mongers

Quote from: Maladict on June 04, 2013, 08:02:35 AM
Just back from a trip to Scotland, man there's some nice scenery there.  :cool:
:cool:

Yeah, I should get on the train and pay it a visit sometime this year.

Maladict

Quote from: mongers on June 04, 2013, 08:27:45 AM

Yeah, I should get on the train and pay it a visit sometime this year.

The West Highland Line was a highlight for sure.  :yes:

mongers

On my way home I stopped overlooking the meadow opposite and caught this:

Barn Owl Acrobatics -
http://youtu.be/NLPnlgTtQgU

I shall take it as an omen that I should exercise wisdom regard one or two of today's issues/events.   :)

mongers

Been doing some promotional work for the musuem at a history festival 20 miles away over the downs. 

Turns out there's lots of rather interesting historians and authors giving talks during a weeks worth of events:

http://www.cvhf.org.uk/speakers

This event would have probably appealed for a few history nerds here,plus Meri for all the re-ennactments going on.   :D

As a bonus as I was arriving to do my stint, there was an airshow there going over the show ground, so the chalk hillsides echoed to that sound of merlin engines.  Only managed to get one clip with my cheap camera of the one of the several spitfires flying:

http://youtu.be/9kR9DnT_kic

mongers

Popped down the valley this evening to visit a friend, it was a joy to chase the sunset back up the valley on the way home in cool high 50s temperatures.   :)

mongers

See we have sunny days here too.

mongers

Didn't do much today, just popped out on the bike into the forest, lots of tourists about on the roads, so didn't have it to myself.  :(

When out to my old college in a forest village, but only as it's just off the map and half way, on the way back, going up a hill, I had to stop to let a snake cross the road and to make sure it didn't run over by any possible traffic.

The other animal encounter of the day was a good deal bit odder, as I'm about to set off from the upper field at home half a dozen middle-aged people turned up with a large tortoise, a very large one, nearer to those old giant ones than a regular one and precede to place it on the grass and take photos of it. 

Now if I was so inclined, I could guess what omen a poisonous snake crossing ones path would foretell, but I'm at a loss as to what sort of harbinger a large tortoise might be.   :hmm:

mongers

Arse, my first significant bike accident ever.   :mad:

Going down a steep hill, breaking, road goes around corner, I'm already breaking beforehand, road reaches low point at a concrete ford then immediately uphill. A car is in the narrow ford, so I have to break again to really slow down, back wheel hits stone chippings on the tarmac road and I lose it at just 10-15 mph. No one's fault.

Not an ambulance job, but I had to go to the hospital emergency dept to get check out that nothing was broken and have a few stitches put in. 

Did I say arse that's annoying, my first ever hospital procedure and I almost made it to 50 years without one. :rolleyes:

Mainly injured pride, along with addition scraps heavy brusing and the image of various bits of the bike imprinted in my skin. 

Interestingly I wasn't wasn't wearing a helmet, which wouldn't have helped,  as bizarrely nearly all the impact force went through the underside of my chin/jaw. Medics not sure how that could have happened.   :hmm: (somewhat appropriate smilie )

crazy canuck

Glad you are ok.  You are going to start wearing a helmet now right?

alfred russel

Ouch.

I saw a guy wipe out last Friday while driving home (he didn't appear injured). For you guys that take it seriously, those falls don't look pretty.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014