News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Out And About.

Started by mongers, November 07, 2012, 08:35:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mongers

Went to the museum by bike, to help finish off the 'decanting'/emptying of the stone,bronze,iron age and Pitt-Rivers* galleries, in preparation for the big rebuild/redesign. 

I happened to be the one to move the last object out of the galleries and into storage, guess what it was ?

* famous 19th century 'scientific' archaeologist.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

crazy canuck

Did you move it back to your place? :ph34r:

mongers

Quote from: crazy canuck on May 16, 2013, 04:06:13 PM

You've guessed haven't you?

Yes, bizarrely it was a bicycle. :blink:

Why was it at a primarily archaeological museum ? I think it was part of a display about him being a philanthropist and creating leisure gardens for his workers, so was part of the collection his family donated to the museum. Otherwise an entirely unremarkable Victorian safety bicycle which will hopefully not go on display again and will find a home elsewhere or be returned to Oxford ?

crazy canuck

Quote from: mongers on May 16, 2013, 04:13:24 PM

Why was it at a primarily archaeological museum ? I think it was part of a display about him being a philanthropist and creating leisure gardens for his workers, so was part of the collection his family donated to the museum. Otherwise an entirely unremarkable Victorian safety bicycle which will hopefully not go on display again and will find a home elsewhere or be returned to Oxford ?

:D

But did you make the switch and leave your bike in its place?

mongers

Quote from: crazy canuck on May 16, 2013, 04:51:42 PM
Quote from: mongers on May 16, 2013, 04:13:24 PM

:D

But did you make the switch and leave your bike in its place?

What swap a nice new, useful folding bike for a fairly common old Victorian safety bike that's worth at best 200-300 dollars    :hmm:

mongers

OK what's up with my point and shoot camera, it seem to be producing odd looking pictures:

Tonitrus

The color saturation looks a little high, but otherwise fine.

mongers

Didn't go anywhere today, just 14 miles up valley in the late evening light, no one around save for me and the usual horses,donkeys and cattle, on the back roads.

Spent most of the afternoon sorting out the garden, 'recycling' and repairing 10 punctures/innertubes !

mongers

Nice sunny afternoon out in Dorset today, glad all the trees are finally out:

Guess who built this road, or at least the alignment it rests on.:

Lots of white puffy clouds about today:

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

MadImmortalMan

"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

mongers

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on May 25, 2013, 05:47:03 PM
I guess Romans.

Yes, another bunch of migrants come here to steal 'our jobs'  :P

PDH

I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

garbon

It was so nice in the city today that I decided to walk along the westside. Ended up making it down to whitehall terminal - so google informs me my walk was over 3 miles long.

I also saw a bunch of palm trees going indoors which apparently is the winter garden atrium.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winter_Garden_Atrium
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.