News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Out And About.

Started by mongers, November 07, 2012, 08:35:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

You one of those fruitball anti-GMtards?

mongers

Quote from: CountDeMoney on March 10, 2013, 05:47:16 PM
You one of those fruitball anti-GMtards?

No, I'm generally pro-technology if there aren't simple answers to problems or where technological development might offer the only solution; chatting with a professor the other day, discovered we both have a boyish enthusiasm for container ships/containerisation.  :)
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Eddie Teach

Quote from: mongers on March 10, 2013, 10:07:32 AM
Equitable distribution of the world's food, I call it the one world diet.   :)

Move to a country that can feed itself, then you can talk about sharing the wealth.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

mongers

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on March 10, 2013, 06:25:08 PM
Quote from: mongers on March 10, 2013, 10:07:32 AM
Equitable distribution of the world's food, I call it the one world diet.   :)

Move to a country that can feed itself, then you can talk about sharing the wealth.

:hmm:

CountDeMoney

Quote from: mongers on March 10, 2013, 06:23:47 PM
we both have a boyish enthusiasm for container ships/containerisation.  :)

:wub: They are kinda neato.

mongers

Quote from: CountDeMoney on March 10, 2013, 08:38:27 PM
Quote from: mongers on March 10, 2013, 06:23:47 PM
we both have a boyish enthusiasm for container ships/containerisation.  :)

:wub: They are kinda neato.

Yeah, there's a national tv program about my local port, Southampton and the container port got quite a bit of coverage as it's so large.

They followed one crane operator as he tried to break the local record for number off-loading in a 12 hour shift, in the end he managed just over 600 ! 

Those ships are damned big.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

mongers

Quote from: Ed Anger on March 10, 2013, 08:56:00 PM
And getting bigger.

Yeah, they're planning on dredging Southampton Water still further, to allow the next generation to offload, which I think are the 18,000 TEU Triple-Es of the Maeserk Line, those things are over 300 ft longer than a Nimitz.  :cool:

There are projected classes on the drawing boards that'll not be able to dock at any port in the Americas ! :blink:

CountDeMoney

A buddy of mine works them loading and unloading at the Port of Baltimore;  Republitards bitch about longshoremen making union money, but that shit is some dangerously hard work, and there are no days off for inclement weather.

mongers

Quote from: CountDeMoney on March 10, 2013, 09:04:33 PM
A buddy of mine works them loading and unloading at the Port of Baltimore;  Republitards bitch about longshoremen making union money, but that shit is some dangerously hard work, and there are no days off for inclement weather.

Yeah, I was surprised that these guys work 12 hour shifts, but seems to be right, funny how people bleat about the EU worktime directive limiting workers to unproductive jobs/shifts.  Seems like these guys are doing a fine job. 

PDH

You think they are big, I got to see them up close from the vantage point of a sailing boat that has one pass within a quarter of a mile...huge slab sides motoring along piled high with containers, the ships leave a wake that is immense.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

mongers

Quote from: PDH on March 11, 2013, 12:10:00 PM
You think they are big, I got to see them up close from the vantage point of a sailing boat that has one pass within a quarter of a mile...huge slab sides motoring along piled high with containers, the ships leave a wake that is immense.

Yeah, I believe they and similar sized vessels have to go slow up Southampton Water because of wakes affecting others and the fragile shorelines.

mongers

Did 5 miles on the bike, earlier this evening to check on conditions; good news the muds drying up, bad news that same responsible strong north westerlies are keeping things at zero C and semi-brass monkey-like.  <_<

mongers

Lovely day yesterday, early evening managed to get out in the forest, came across a nice image of a horse sunning itself sitting in amongst the graves at a local church. 

Today, it rained, didn't get out no the bike.  <_<

mongers

Oh, slight weather window amongst the rain cloud, have to pop out on the bike to see how muddy it's gotten by getting well, muddy.   :cool: