News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Out And About.

Started by mongers, November 07, 2012, 08:35:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grey Fox

Your population of Racoons is truly staggering.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Malthus

Quote from: Grey Fox on September 10, 2018, 09:49:46 AM
Your population of Racoons is truly staggering.

One piece of trivia I always thought funny: they filmed the movie series "Resident Evil" in Toronto. The name of the fictional city in that series: "Raccoon City".  :lol:

http://zombie.wikia.com/wiki/Raccoon_City

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Maladict

A glorious day on the heath yesterday. Only two more legs left on my 800km cross-country hike, I'll have to seek lebensraum abroad soon  :menace:

mongers

Quote from: Maladict on September 10, 2018, 01:47:22 PM
A glorious day on the heath yesterday. Only two more legs left on my 800km cross-country hike, I'll have to seek lebensraum abroad soon  :menace:

:cool:

That's some series walking, maybe we should nickname you Strider?   :)
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

KRonn

Quote from: Malthus on September 10, 2018, 09:42:00 AM
Quote from: Grey Fox on September 07, 2018, 09:51:45 AM
Marsupial version of a rat so it fits.

What's surprising is that they can compete with our already established enormous population of racoons and skunks.

Also, for some reason I've been seeing a lot of rabbits about this year, way more than other years. There is one that repeatedly visits our back yard.

I've also seen quite a few rabbits in my neighborhood the last couple of years. I used to see, or more likely smell, skunks most every night in the summer. Had to run around and shut windows all the time. Seems they became more scarce for a while and maybe coyotes got some. We do have coyotes around and I've seen them a couple of times. Skunks took up residence under sheds of two of my neighbors but eventually moved out or I guess were gotten by coyotes, as I haven't seen nor smelled skunks for a while.

One of my neighbors works nights and later at night he'd be confronted in his yard by a skunk that lived under his shed. That's gone, not sure how. Another neighbor had one under her shed but her son blocked up most of where the skunk could get in, just left a place for it to get out. When it seemed it was gone that opening was plugged up and no sign of the skunk. When that was living under there I could smell it in my yard if the wind was blowing right.

In winter we regularly get deer runnning through the yards at night. And I live in a somewhat built up town, though I guess there's enough wooded space for the critters to hang out, find food, etc.

KRonn

Quote from: Maladict on September 10, 2018, 01:47:22 PM

That looks like an area I would imagine a "walk about" to be done in Australia.  :)

Eddie Teach

Kronn, you seem to spend quite a bit of time talking to your neighbors.  :wacko:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

KRonn

Quote from: Eddie Teach on September 10, 2018, 06:12:16 PM
Kronn, you seem to spend quite a bit of time talking to your neighbors.  :wacko:

Hehe, all my neighbors know each other, it's a very friendly street. Partly because several families have kids who play together, and the parents are often out talking while watching the kids. I've also been here for many years and so the older neighbors and I have known each other for a long time.  :)

Malthus

Quote from: KRonn on September 10, 2018, 05:53:55 PM
Quote from: Malthus on September 10, 2018, 09:42:00 AM
Quote from: Grey Fox on September 07, 2018, 09:51:45 AM
Marsupial version of a rat so it fits.

What's surprising is that they can compete with our already established enormous population of racoons and skunks.

Also, for some reason I've been seeing a lot of rabbits about this year, way more than other years. There is one that repeatedly visits our back yard.

I've also seen quite a few rabbits in my neighborhood the last couple of years. I used to see, or more likely smell, skunks most every night in the summer. Had to run around and shut windows all the time. Seems they became more scarce for a while and maybe coyotes got some. We do have coyotes around and I've seen them a couple of times. Skunks took up residence under sheds of two of my neighbors but eventually moved out or I guess were gotten by coyotes, as I haven't seen nor smelled skunks for a while.

One of my neighbors works nights and later at night he'd be confronted in his yard by a skunk that lived under his shed. That's gone, not sure how. Another neighbor had one under her shed but her son blocked up most of where the skunk could get in, just left a place for it to get out. When it seemed it was gone that opening was plugged up and no sign of the skunk. When that was living under there I could smell it in my yard if the wind was blowing right.

In winter we regularly get deer runnning through the yards at night. And I live in a somewhat built up town, though I guess there's enough wooded space for the critters to hang out, find food, etc.

My dad had a great way of getting rid of burrowing skunks under garages and sheds: play talk radio at them. Makes skunks uneasy (but not enough to actually spray) and they move out.

Right-wing talk radio works best - lots of angry ranting.  :D

We have deer in the cemetery a few blocks from our house (it connects with a major ravine), but they rarely venture outside that ... and we are deep inside Toronto.

Hell, a very confused bear was found in Scarborough ... 

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

KRonn

People have tried moth balls but I don't think that worked very well for them. I blocked up the spaces around my sheds, preventing critters from being able to get in. 

Probably radio seems it may work as I'd think the would critters become rattled after a while hearing human voices.

Richard Hakluyt

"Right-wing talk radio works best - lots of angry ranting.  :D" - the only problem is that the good professor's liberal neighbours may think that he has turned to the Dark Side  :lol:

Malthus

Quote from: KRonn on September 12, 2018, 08:15:12 PM
People have tried moth balls but I don't think that worked very well for them. I blocked up the spaces around my sheds, preventing critters from being able to get in. 

Probably radio seems it may work as I'd think the would critters become rattled after a while hearing human voices.

Blocked is best - prevents the problem before it happens.

Yeah, the critters hate human voices. Skunks get all hyped up to spray, but have no-one to shoot at.  ;)

Malthus

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on September 13, 2018, 02:38:54 AM
"Right-wing talk radio works best - lots of angry ranting.  :D" - the only problem is that the good professor's liberal neighbours may think that he has turned to the Dark Side  :lol:

Oh but he has. He's driving a skunk out, knowing it will likely take up quarters - with those neighbours.  ;)

Zanza

Quote from: Zanza on September 08, 2018, 08:02:06 AM
Going to hike from Oberstdorf, Bavaria to Senalis, South Tyrol, starting tomorrow.  :cool:
Made it. Some tough stretches to cover with distances of 25+ km and up to 1900 meters up or down per day. Very scenic, awesome weather, some blisters and my feet just ache now.
Did not go the place where the Ötzi iceman was found.

Malthus

Quote from: Zanza on September 14, 2018, 06:29:28 AM
Quote from: Zanza on September 08, 2018, 08:02:06 AM
Going to hike from Oberstdorf, Bavaria to Senalis, South Tyrol, starting tomorrow.  :cool:
Made it. Some tough stretches to cover with distances of 25+ km and up to 1900 meters up or down per day. Very scenic, awesome weather, some blisters and my feet just ache now.
Did not go the place where the Ötzi iceman was found.

Damn, I'm jealous.