News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Out And About.

Started by mongers, November 07, 2012, 08:35:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Ooh, that's open long enough, I might fold that into my weekend trip idea to go to Blenheim to see the Yves Klein exhibit. I'd been thinking I'd to the overnight stay in Oxford. :cool:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

mongers

Quote from: garbon on September 06, 2018, 05:27:03 PM
Ooh, that's open long enough, I might fold that into my weekend trip idea to go to Blenheim to see the Yves Klein exhibit. I'd been thinking I'd to the overnight stay in Oxford. :cool:

A jolly nice trip.  :cool:

A guy at the exhibit said they've been crazy busy, but it's suddenly quietened down the last few days.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Admiral Yi

T'other day golfing I saw a big water bird, like an egret or a crane flapping around the course.  What the hell is it doing here?

Also a while back I saw a vulture by the side  of the road.  Never seen one before.

Global warming fucking up the fowl?

Malthus

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 06, 2018, 05:59:39 PM
T'other day golfing I saw a big water bird, like an egret or a crane flapping around the course.  What the hell is it doing here?

Also a while back I saw a vulture by the side  of the road.  Never seen one before.

There are definite signs that global warming is changing the ranges of some animals.

Example: in Toronto, over the past few years, Opossums have made an appearance. They were never seen this far north when my dad was a kid. Then, in the 60s through 80s, the rare occasional sighting, gradually increasing in numbers through the 80s and 90s, and now they are relatively common. They aren't well adapted to cold, so even a small change in temperature is important to them.   

Edit: an article:

https://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2015/11/17/climate-change-animals_n_8565458.html
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Valmy

So the same forces that are fucking the polar bears is helping the possums out? I have to say I think that is a poor trade.

Well ok while polar bears are much more awesome than possums, I would rather live next to possums than polar bears. And I have for most of my life  :P

My close encounters with possums have always been weird. Damn things have freaky beady eyes.

This image does not properly show how disturbing they are up close:

But hey I try to be kind to my neighbors.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Malthus

Quote from: Valmy on September 07, 2018, 08:28:07 AM
So the same forces that are fucking the polar bears is helping the possums out? I have to say I think that is a poor trade.

Well ok while polar bears are much more awesome than possums, I would rather live next to possums than polar bears. And I have for most of my life  :P

My close encounters with possums have always been weird. Damn things have freaky beady eyes.

People here are still not really used to them, and sometimes confuse them with gigantic rats.  :lol:
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Grey Fox

Marsupial version of a rat so it fits.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

KRonn

Quote from: Malthus on September 07, 2018, 08:04:59 AM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 06, 2018, 05:59:39 PM

There are definite signs that global warming is changing the ranges of some animals.

Example: in Toronto, over the past few years, Opossums have made an appearance. They were never seen this far north when my dad was a kid. Then, in the 60s through 80s, the rare occasional sighting, gradually increasing in numbers through the 80s and 90s, and now they are relatively common. They aren't well adapted to cold, so even a small change in temperature is important to them.   

Edit: an article:

https://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2015/11/17/climate-change-animals_n_8565458.html
I've been seeing possums here in Massachusetts since I was a kid. Haven't seen any for a while. I read that they don't grow heavier fur pelts in the winter so the cold is tough on them, so I figured that eventually most died out from the winters around here. But if they're moving north then that's interesting too.

Zanza

Going to hike from Oberstdorf, Bavaria to Senalis, South Tyrol, starting tomorrow.  :cool:

Barrister

Quote from: Zanza on September 08, 2018, 08:02:06 AM
Going to hike from Oberstdorf, Bavaria to Senalis, South Tyrol, starting tomorrow.  :cool:

Sounds lovely. :thumbsup:

Do beware getting trapped in a glacier for thousands of years though. :o
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Maladict

Quote from: Barrister on September 08, 2018, 09:17:27 AM

But if you do, make sure you mummify properly. And maybe strike a funny pose.

Richard Hakluyt

Quote from: Maladict on September 08, 2018, 09:25:56 AM

Also please remember to scrawl FU Jaron in the mud with the last of your strength so that the message can be fossilised and past on down the ages.

Barrister

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on September 08, 2018, 09:33:28 AM

Also please remember to scrawl FU Jaron in the mud with the last of your strength so that the message can be fossilised and past on down the ages.

:lol: :thumbsup:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

KRonn

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on September 08, 2018, 09:33:28 AM

Lol!

And before you freeze, try and send a post from your cell phone to let us know your location.   :D

Malthus

Quote from: Grey Fox on September 07, 2018, 09:51:45 AM
Marsupial version of a rat so it fits.

What's surprising is that they can compete with our already established enormous population of racoons and skunks.

Also, for some reason I've been seeing a lot of rabbits about this year, way more than other years. There is one that repeatedly visits our back yard.