News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Out And About.

Started by mongers, November 07, 2012, 08:35:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie Teach

I don't know why they can't just start school/work an hour later if that's what everyone wants.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

crazy canuck

It is going to be sunny with temperatures in the teens on the weekend - spring is here  :)

loads of yard work to do  :(

KRonn

Spring isn't here yet, had two big storms in a week. First one was rain, next was snow. But temps above freezing so snow is melting pretty fast. Now looking at a storm Sunday/Monday so we'll see what that brings.

Waiting for Springtime! I have most of my garden veggie seeds already picked out!

mongers

Hawthorns blossom is out in full here, birds are beginning to build nests, I'm getting out and about more in the lighter evenings and to cap it all l've had a haircut, so Spring MUST be in a real thing?  :bowler:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Grey Fox

Quote from: KRonn on March 07, 2018, 02:09:44 PM
Florida just voted to stay on daylight savings time year round. No more turning clocks back/ahead one hour. I endorse that. Massachusetts advocates where I live were talking about doing the same but the idea was for all of New England states to do it since all are so close to each other. Maybe include New York state in it. I'd really rather that clocks stay at one point or another, either daylight saving time or the other way.

Great Idea. I also advocate that we remain at DST all year round. Sure, here, in the winter means the sun will be up by 9, 9:30am but who cares? Construction workers will probably cry but the traffic they cause can really use for them to start later in the day.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

garbon

When I was in Lisbon, I saw this jar on display and excitedly(?) told my that I knew of the person that the mug had been created for...as well as mentioned how it was connected to the only wikipedia page I had tried to change (and failed) as it had an inaccurate flag. My mother's take - you are a dork!

https://gulbenkian.pt/museu/en/works_museu/jar/
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

KRonn

I've been feeding the birds the last few years, especially in winter. I started during the winter of 2015 when we got the record snows over nine feet. Glaciers everywhere it seemed....  ;) I figured the birds must be suffering trying to get food.

I put up several different types feeders which attract an interesting array of birds. I get the usual sparrows and juncos and also cardinals and blue jays. Also downy woodpeckers, gold finches and house or red finches. I have a feeder with seed that finches like and I've seen up to a dozen gold finches at once. Squirrels can't get into the finch feeder because of the small ports and the other feeders are squirrel proof in that they close up under a squirrel's weight. Damn squirrels are a bit of a nuisance otherwise.

Now that it's getting close to spring (by the calendar, certainly not by the cold, wind and snow) there are hordes of grackles, starlings and red wing blackbirds that have migrated back. They descend on the feeders in packs, and empty the feeders in less than a day being larger birds and so many. So I'm taking some time off before filling the feeders again, hoping that the newer arrivals get more settled in and not ins large ravenous packs.

mongers

Quote from: KRonn on March 18, 2018, 02:20:55 PM
I've been feeding the birds the last few years, especially in winter. I started during the winter of 2015 when we got the record snows over nine feet. Glaciers everywhere it seemed....  ;) I figured the birds must be suffering trying to get food.

I put up several different types feeders which attract an interesting array of birds. I get the usual sparrows and juncos and also cardinals and blue jays. Also downy woodpeckers, gold finches and house or red finches. I have a feeder with seed that finches like and I've seen up to a dozen gold finches at once. Squirrels can't get into the finch feeder because of the small ports and the other feeders are squirrel proof in that they close up under a squirrel's weight. Damn squirrels are a bit of a nuisance otherwise.

Now that it's getting close to spring (by the calendar, certainly not by the cold, wind and snow) there are hordes of grackles, starlings and red wing blackbirds that have migrated back. They descend on the feeders in packs, and empty the feeders in less than a day being larger birds and so many. So I'm taking some time off before filling the feeders again, hoping that the newer arrivals get more settled in and not ins large ravenous packs.

:cool:

Good man, giving nature a little help when it needs it.

Most of my garden birds seemed to have weathered it.  :bowler:

garbon

I went and got my first library card in the UK today. Feels a bit weird that each borough has their own system of libraries but I guess that means you can just seek out the best branches. :D

mongers

Quote from: garbon on March 24, 2018, 02:37:35 PM
I went and got my first library card in the UK today. Feels a bit weird that each borough has their own system of libraries but I guess that means you can just seek out the best branches. :D

Don't forget to check out the library service's website, probably gives you full access to things like OED online.

garbon

Quote from: mongers on March 24, 2018, 03:01:03 PM
Quote from: garbon on March 24, 2018, 02:37:35 PM

Don't forget to check out the library service's website, probably gives you full access to things like OED online.

Ah good call, that's correct from what I can see.

KRonn

I had several wild turkeys in my back yard, milling around the bird feeder. They were probably trying to pick up seeds that other birds knock out of the feeder as they feed. This isn't the first time I've seen turkeys but it's been a while. They're huge birds too!

I've also seen deer and deer tracks in my yard. Last time the deer I saw were quite large, five of them. I see the deer at night - they trip my motion activated lights so I know they're roaming around. I'm not near large wooded areas but there are smaller wooded places not too far off, which is where some of these critters come from.

mongers

Went to the beach yesterday evening, nice weather.  :bowler:

Malthus

Quote from: KRonn on March 24, 2018, 06:54:29 PM
I had several wild turkeys in my back yard, milling around the bird feeder. They were probably trying to pick up seeds that other birds knock out of the feeder as they feed. This isn't the first time I've seen turkeys but it's been a while. They're huge birds too!

I've also seen deer and deer tracks in my yard. Last time the deer I saw were quite large, five of them. I see the deer at night - they trip my motion activated lights so I know they're roaming around. I'm not near large wooded areas but there are smaller wooded places not too far off, which is where some of these critters come from.

Truly, deer get everywhere ... we have a herd of them living in the local cemetery, a couple of blocks from my house - even though I'm living in a pretty major city.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius