And we're back!

Main Menu

Out And About.

Started by mongers, November 07, 2012, 08:35:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KRonn

Quote from: mongers on February 05, 2018, 08:51:09 PM
Quote from: KRonn on February 05, 2018, 08:43:57 PM
We've had some almost Spring like days. Today wasn't too cold and was sunny but quite windy which made it feel a lot colder. Still I think I've gotten more accustomed to the cold weather as I don't always get bundled up when going outside. I've noticed that same thing in past winters. Seems by about mid January I'm not feeling the cold as much.

Then KRonn, you're more of a spring chicken than me, I definitely now feel winter in my bones.  :D

Oh I feel the cold, especially when winter cold weather starts. I seem to have a lower tolerance for cold than, say, ten years ago, as I'm bundled in several layers even in the house. Just that as winter goes on I tend to get more accustomed to it and I don't feel it as much.

Gups

Quote from: mongers on February 05, 2018, 08:00:16 PM
Spring is sort of in the air here, still rather cold, but a lot of plants are putting out new growth. Lots of snowdrops and some daffodils spotted on my Sunday afternoon ride.  :bowler:

Also we're now at the half-way point, 47 days on from the winter solstice, 47 days till the start of BST, we're now getting usable light after 5pm.  :cool:

It's still dark when I arrive at work and still dark when I leave.  :(

mongers

1st March - Met Office's official start of Spring.  :hmm:

Twenty-three days to the start of British Summer Time.  :P
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

garbon

Well here in the city today is the last supposed day of drek. By the start of the next week, we should be at the low double digits in celsius.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

mongers

I can't decide which is more tiring, walking miles in the snow or spending hours talking about the weather.  :bowler:

Eddie Teach

There's potentially a reason to walk miles in the snow.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Maladict

Quote from: Eddie Teach on March 03, 2018, 09:35:53 AM

Snow is enough reason to walk miles in it.

Walked to the American war cemetery, a beautiful sight all covered in fresh snow. And even more quiet and peaceful.

KRonn

Quote from: Maladict on March 03, 2018, 09:52:34 AM
Quote from: Eddie Teach on March 03, 2018, 09:35:53 AM

Snow is enough reason to walk miles in it.

Walked to the American war cemetery, a beautiful sight all covered in fresh snow. And even more quiet and peaceful.

Back in 1978 we had a huge blizzard (known locally as the Blizzard of '78) which paralyzed the region for a week, especially all of eastern/central Massachusetts and probably Connecticut and Rhode Island. After nearly a week of being snow bound, no cars allowed on the roads, I walked to the next town over to go to a club where my friends and I frequented in normal times. It was at least a five mile walk, on snowy roads. Nice to be young and strong. A few friends who lived a lot closer were there, most of them walked. One friend had driven his car there and fortunately he gave me a ride home, hoping not to get stopped by police on the way. We made it ok as the main roads were mostly clear but many side roads and residential streets took days to clear.

mongers

Now that Spring is finally here, time to get out and about more on the bike in the evenings and weekend.  :bowler:

garbon

Got up at 5am this morning so I could catch a flight to Frankfurt for a meeting near Mainz. Now just back at Heathrow. I'm tired. :blush:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

KRonn

Quote from: garbon on March 06, 2018, 01:59:57 PM
Got up at 5am this morning so I could catch a flight to Frankfurt for a meeting near Mainz. Now just back at Heathrow. I'm tired. :blush:

How was the weather? I saw on the news last week that parts of Europe had huge snowfall, and I think Germany was included.

garbon

Quote from: KRonn on March 06, 2018, 08:16:19 PM

How was the weather? I saw on the news last week that parts of Europe had huge snowfall, and I think Germany was included.

Completely recovered. Weather was basically same as UK. Got a bit warm in my coat and suit. :D

KRonn

Quote from: garbon on March 06, 2018, 11:51:59 PM
Quote from: KRonn on March 06, 2018, 08:16:19 PM

Completely recovered. Weather was basically same as UK. Got a bit warm in my coat and suit. :D

Sounds like Spring time is on the way.

garbon

Yeah definitely. Today one of my employees also remarked how today was the first time in a while that it was actually still fairly light out when we were thinking of leaving the office.

KRonn

Florida just voted to stay on daylight savings time year round. No more turning clocks back/ahead one hour. I endorse that. Massachusetts advocates where I live were talking about doing the same but the idea was for all of New England states to do it since all are so close to each other. Maybe include New York state in it. I'd really rather that clocks stay at one point or another, either daylight saving time or the other way.