And we're back!

Main Menu

Out And About.

Started by mongers, November 07, 2012, 08:35:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mongers

Quote from: KRonn on January 14, 2018, 06:39:56 PM
Quote from: mongers on January 14, 2018, 03:20:23 PM
Popped into London this afternoon, to do some work market research and visit a couple of museums.

What surprised me is some up-scale areas, like Knightsbridge, Belgravia and Plimlico have manage to go even more upmarket, in the year since I was last passing through those boroughs.  :blink:

Just exactly how many more Merc, Ferraris and multi-million pound maisonette can these places take?  :hmm:

Same is happening in Boston in many areas, and certainly other cities as well. South Boston seems to be one significant example. It used to be neighborhoods of two and three story houses, people identifying as Southie's, families having lived there for generations. Now it's changed so much, become more and more upscale - expensive condos, town houses and shops.

Indeed.

And I walked past this cupcake shop, which on a winter's late afternoon had a queue of people outside waiting to get in and take photos of their purchases and then post it on Instagram, details here:

https://www.yelp.co.uk/biz/peggy-porschen-cakes-london

:huh:

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

KRonn

Heh, that's quite a façade for a bakery. No wonder people are taking pics with it. :)

There's an excellent bakery in my town. Nothing fancy with the building or anything but some really great bread, cookies, cakes and more. During holidays the place is packed, does a great business.

garbon

Off on a plane tomorrow to my first proper Southern state. :o
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Barrister

Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Valmy

Quote from: garbon on January 19, 2018, 02:19:25 PM
Off on a plane tomorrow to my first proper Southern state. :o

If it is Florida I am going to be disappointed in you.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

garbon

No, I've been sent to Florida before and don't think it counts. I'll be in South Carolina.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

KRonn

Nice, hope you get some warm weather in SC. 

Josephus

I never knew this thread existed.  :D
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Valmy

Quote from: garbon on January 19, 2018, 02:46:33 PM
No, I've been sent to Florida before and don't think it counts. I'll be in South Carolina.

:thumbsup:

Oh garbon did you hear about the secession movement to create a new Republican state in California? Your former people are starting to rival mine in their lettowism.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Eddie Teach

Technically both states are too big for their own good.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Valmy

Quote from: Eddie Teach on January 19, 2018, 08:52:58 PM
Technically both states are too big for their own good.

Too small to be republics, too large to be insane asylums.

garbon

Facebook informed me that 5 years ago I was slipping on the snow in Paris. In hotlanta waiting for my flight to Charleston. 15 hours since I left home this morning. -_-

mongers

Quote from: garbon on January 20, 2018, 04:43:53 PM
Facebook informed me that 5 years ago I was slipping on the snow in Paris. In hotlanta waiting for my flight to Charleston. 15 hours since I left home this morning. -_-

Pfft quitter, you should have stayed in Blighty where you could now be basking in the rain, wind and mud* instead.  :bowler:

*local detail, for the London aspect substitute pollution.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Eddie Teach

I don't think he's leaving for good.  :huh:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

garbon

Also it was raining when I got to Heathrow so got that in.