News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Out And About.

Started by mongers, November 07, 2012, 08:35:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Maladict

garbon

Off on an English beach trip tomorrow.

Optimistically: sunscreen, beach towel, bathing suit(!)
Realistically: umbrella, rain jacket

:D
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

mongers

Quote from: garbon on August 18, 2017, 02:33:19 PM
Off on an English beach trip tomorrow.

Optimistically: sunscreen, beach towel, bathing suit(!)
Realistically: umbrella, rain jacket

:D

Which one was it?

PS never go to Bournemouth/Poole/S Dorset conurbation, you'll not like that.

Probably not Brighton either because of the stones.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

garbon

I was at Bournemouth(Studland)! Was happy to finally see a beach with sand!

Was alright, a bit cool. As we stayed late was ultimately glad I'd brought my coat. :cool:

mongers

Quote from: garbon on August 19, 2017, 06:17:19 PM

Was alright, a bit cool. As we stayed late was ultimately glad I'd brought my coat. :cool:

You chose well, Studland isn't really Bournemouth anyway, it's overseas (chain ferry crossing).  :D

Whilst you were there if you'd looked over your shoulder you'd have seen the permanent drilling rig for the oilfield I helped to build.

And underneath the your feet and the beach are some of the longest direction drilled oil wells in the world, fanning out under the waters of the bay.  :cool:

garbon

Yes the tiniest ferry I've ever been on. Like 5 minutes long. :D

mongers

Quote from: garbon on August 20, 2017, 02:24:42 AM
Yes the tiniest ferry I've ever been on. Like 5 minutes long. :D

It's been a very wet and cloudy weekend, so on Sunday late afternoon I went down to the coast, guess what it was beautifully sunny, warm and calm down at the beach.  :cool:

If I'd know this I'd have set out an couple of hours earlier so I could have an enjoyed a bike ride along the coast to the beaches were you were; there won't be many more days like that here until the Spring.  :hmm:

Richard Hakluyt

My favourite beaches are probably those on the Northumberland coast; lots of sand and dunes, very few people. Pretty cold of course  :D

The beaches on the southern coast are generally quite poor, but there is the trade off that the Channel is warm enough to swim in.

Gups

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on September 19, 2017, 12:44:41 AM

My favourite beaches are probably those on the Northumberland coast; lots of sand and dunes, very few people. Pretty cold of course  :D

The beaches on the southern coast are generally quite poor, but there is the trade off that the Channel is warm enough to swim in.

South-eastern beaches are generally pretty crap but they get better the further west you go. The north Devon/north Cornwall coast is my favourite though I've not been to many up north

mongers

Delayed on my way home by someone's right of pannage.  :bowler:

Richard Hakluyt

mongers

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on September 19, 2017, 04:11:09 PM
Acorns for pigs iirc?

:yes:

Though weirdly here, it's supposedly called something else that I've not heard used in the New Forest.  :hmm:

edit:
Looked it up on wiki, for what is worth:

Pannage is no longer carried out in most areas, but is still observed in the New Forest of Southern England, where it is also known as common of mast. It is still an important part of the forest ecology, and helps the husbandry of the other New Forest livestock – pigs can safely eat acorns as a large part of their diet, whereas excessive amounts may be poisonous to ponies and cattle.
:blink: 

Richard Hakluyt

The New forest is one of the Conqueror's forests I think. That bastard (literally  :lol: ) probably wouldn't have allowed pannage unless it helped him out in some way.