News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Out And About.

Started by mongers, November 07, 2012, 08:35:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mongers

Often just limited to short trips out at the moment, though still enjoying watching the colours melt out of the early evening skies, as I return home on the bike.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

KRonn

Quote from: mongers on November 07, 2016, 08:51:50 PM
Trying to avoid going into hibernation what with the Winter solstice being 43 days off.

Had a nice trip the last Sunday, it encompassed using a rarely used right of way up the drive of a large country house and then through and up the length of their rather picturesque private estate.  :bowler:

Me too, I'm trying to get outside for some long, brisk walks as long as the temps aren't too crazy cold and windy. Avoiding feeling too house bound. I think the wind is worse as it just smacks me in the face with the cold air, where the cold itself isn't too bad to take otherwise.

Liep

It's now possible to buy e-bikes with ranges around 200km for not an indecent amount of money (~€3500). That would make touring Europe a pure breeze, the fun part of cycle touring was not actually riding but moving through the landscape meeting different people along the way.

Very close to buying one. I might wait for the 2018 range to come out, but I'm pretty sure this'll be what I invest in in 2017.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

mongers

Quote from: Liep on December 11, 2016, 04:24:58 AM
It's now possible to buy e-bikes with ranges around 200km for not an indecent amount of money (~€3500). That would make touring Europe a pure breeze, the fun part of cycle touring was not actually riding but moving through the landscape meeting different people along the way.

Very close to buying one. I might wait for the 2018 range to come out, but I'm pretty sure this'll be what I invest in in 2017.

Interesting maturing of the technology.

:hmm:

Zanza

I was in Sudan for a couple of days over New Years. Not your typical tourist destination, but quite interesting nonetheless. Interesting mix of old Egyptian ruins, and modern Arab-African country.

Arab nomads at a water hole in the desert.

Getting stuck in the Sahara.

The view out of a 3000 year old tomb.

A New Kingdom Egyptian temple.

Pyramids of Meroe.

The Royal Prussian Expedition had been there before me.

alfred russel

That is a much cooler destination than some european city with a few old churches. Well done zanza.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

mongers

Quote from: alfred russel on January 14, 2017, 03:52:05 PM
That is a much cooler destination than some european city with a few old churches. Well done zanza.

And that's the exact converse of what a Sudanese migrant would say on entering Germany.   :P

garbon

After the 'joy' of Vegas, I'm now taking a mini trip to SF. I'm staying at an airbnb a block from where I lived. Looks about the same as it did though I see most of the ratty stores have been replaced with local organic free range health food joints. :D
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Syt

View from Jakboshorn peak in Davos:

We had lunch in the restaurant there - a place named after a ski resort in British Columbia, done up with US/Canadian license plates, sports banners, and flags. It only served burgers and fries, and was playing only contemporary country music.

The view from my balcony, at dusk:

The hotel we were at hosted a George Clooney charity lunch the week before during the WEF. I was joking that I probably had his room, because I had the suite on the top floor right across from the elevator. :P

I picked up a nasty stomach bug, though. :(
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

mongers

50' 58" North.  - furthest north I've been solely on my bike all Winter.  :Embarrass:

Syt, nice trip and photos.  :cool:

CountDeMoney

Some of you will appreciate this long piece on the 900 block of North Bradford Street in East Baltimore.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/local/baltimore-life-death-and-demolition/

mongers

Quote from: CountDeMoney on February 02, 2017, 10:31:30 PM
Some of you will appreciate this long piece on the 900 block of North Bradford Street in East Baltimore.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/local/baltimore-life-death-and-demolition/

Money, thanks for that, an interesting article.

garbon

On my way to Scotland for the weekend. :w00t:

1st class on Virgin East Coast is fairly nice. 1st class lounge was clean and they were giving complimentary massages (:hmm:). There's also a separate entrance to the platforms from King's Cross so you can avoid the general rabble. -_-
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

mongers

Quote from: garbon on February 03, 2017, 10:28:30 AM

1st class on Virgin East Coast is fairly nice. 1st class lounge was clean and they were giving complimentary massages (:hmm:). There's also a separate entrance to the platforms from King's Cross so you can avoid the general rabble. -_-

:cool:

Be Donald's unofficial ambassador whilst you're there, oh and find his trousers.

garbon

Quote from: mongers on February 03, 2017, 10:38:14 AM
Quote from: garbon on February 03, 2017, 10:28:30 AM

:cool:

Be Donald's unofficial ambassador whilst you're there, oh and find his trousers.

Pfft. I'm Canadian!