News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Out And About.

Started by mongers, November 07, 2012, 08:35:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mongers

Popped out into Dorset to do some roman road and a hillfort, last time I'll be doing that before next spring, not an especially nice route, bit of main road to do and a noodly town to get through on the way.

Came back through Wimborne again as an couple of old gentlemen I bumped into told me about an interesting apple tree with pink fruit in a park there. Man am I getting old if I'm passing the time of day with fellow old boys and discussing apple scrumping.   :bowler:

his is an approximate map of the route.

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Zanza

Just a picture I took in the Allgäu yesterday.

mongers

Zanza

I was in St. Mary's Church in my home town. A gothic basilica from the 13th century, built by the rich Hansa patricians.

The church bells that fell down on 28th/29th March 1942 when the RAF bombed Lübeck in revenge for Coventry.

Under the roof.

St. Mary's is the church with two steeples on the right.

Edit: This is how it looked after the bombing.

mongers

Nice photos Zanza, the bells are very poignant.

The main parish church in my home town would have been rather interesting being 13th century, but in 1853 Victorian improvers got to it, entirely knocked it down and replaced it with a huge square-built cliche of a English church.

Still pretty much the ugliest church I've set eyes on.  <_<

Syt

Lübeck :wub:

I need to take a tourist trip back to the old home at some point.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

mongers

Woah, went somewhere I've never been before, Rockbourne, all of 10-15miles from where I live.  :Embarrass:

My defence is it's not on the way to anywhere I'd go, plus I've been to the nearby Roman villa a few times down the year,just not bothered to go to what is now just another Dorset/Wiltshire/Hampshire millionaires' commuter village.  <_<

mongers

Went over the downs to Salisbury this afternoon, possibly the last time before the off-road byways become impassable.

Lots of threatening clouds as I went north, but just hit by a couple of isolated showers and on the way back turned into a beautiful Autumn evening.

alfred russel

Is that an above ground pipe in the pictures?
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Syt

Looks like a fence to me.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

mongers

Quote from: Syt on October 09, 2016, 11:39:07 PM
Looks like a fence to me.

Yeah, just lots of tall wooden fencing for the horse racing training that takes place on the gallops up there.

mongers

Had to go into the conurbation today, so went home this evening via the beach.

Zanza

Cool cloud pics. Looks omnious.

mongers

Trying to avoid going into hibernation what with the Winter solstice being 43 days off.

Had a nice trip the last Sunday, it encompassed using a rarely used right of way up the drive of a large country house and then through and up the length of their rather picturesque private estate.  :bowler:

mongers

Mud closing the Wiltshire downs to me, checked out one of the routes and I think that it for me going that way till late March.  <_<