News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Out And About.

Started by mongers, November 07, 2012, 08:35:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zanza

Yes, it's Buddhist. From the 15th and 16th century although it was restored from ruins only recently.

garbon

Finally made it out to Hampton Court Palace today, really cool stuff. Best bit was there was some young guy with his parents that told us that his work gets him 6 free tickets and so he gave us 3 free tickets. Nothing better than going to a cool place, then going to a cool place for free rather than 21 pounds a head. :cool:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

mongers

Quote from: garbon on September 11, 2016, 03:04:06 PM
Finally made it out to Hampton Court Palace today, really cool stuff. Best bit was there was some young guy with his parents that told us that his work gets him 6 free tickets and so he gave us 3 free tickets. Nothing better than going to a cool place, then going to a cool place for free rather than 21 pounds a head. :cool:

:cool:

It's rather good there, especially nice walks down by the Thames and in the parks that surround it.

I think that's pretty much par for the course nowadays in the UK, any major heritage site is likely going to cost you in the 20-40 quid range.  :bowler:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

mongers

Getting out and enjoying the national park, now that the tourists have gone and I have it largely to myself.  :)

Lots of evidence of last night's thunderstorms, tracks washed out or cut back to their base flint/chalk/rubble, one or two great oak struck asunder.

Also no sightings of lycra clad roadies, maybe they've migrated south for the Winter?  :hmm:

mongers

Big 'cultural' event in my home town tomorrow, given the fair full number of people I want to avoid vs the few I like to meet, I think I'll be avoiding it at all costs and heading off in the opposite direction, out into the Dorset countryside, weather permitting.  :bowler:

Maladict

On the Dutch island of Texel last week, I visited the Georgian military cemetery. The Georgian uprising against the Germans was the last fighting in Europe and lasted until well after the surrender. The Georgians who survived were sent back to the Soviet Union and very few were seen again.  Very odd to see the hammer and sickle here, and to think of the desperation of these guys, so far from home.

garbon

Went to Buckingham Palace yesterday. All rather fittingly opulent and some nice paintings on the walls (nice to finally see Charles I with M. de St Antoine). Figured the money I saved at Hampton Court could be put to that. :D
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

mongers

Quote from: garbon on September 18, 2016, 12:42:49 PM
Went to Buckingham Palace yesterday. All rather fittingly opulent and some nice paintings on the walls (nice to finally see Charles I with M. de St Antoine). Figured the money I saved at Hampton Court could be put to that. :D

Next time you're in that bit of Belgravia, if you haven't already, you should check out the Iron Duke's Apsley House just up at Hyde Park Corner.

It's a far more modest affair and understated as compared to High Victorian bling you saw today.  :P

mongers

Nice evening out in Dorset going all around the outside of the big conurbation that some here don't like.   :P

Had most of the long seafront to myself before turning off up the valley home.  :bowler:

garbon

Quote from: mongers on September 18, 2016, 02:52:15 PM

Next time you're in that bit of Belgravia, if you haven't already, you should check out the Iron Duke's Apsley House just up at Hyde Park Corner.

It's a far more modest affair and understated as compared to High Victorian bling you saw today.  :P

I saw that was something I could visit when I was looking last week about perhaps getting an English Heritage membership.

mongers

Quote from: garbon on September 18, 2016, 03:11:09 PM

I saw that was something I could visit when I was looking last week about perhaps getting an English Heritage membership.

English Heritage have got a quit interesting range of houses and palaces in London, not your typical aristo's country seat which the national trust seems to concentrate on.

garbon

Quote from: mongers on September 18, 2016, 03:20:44 PM
Quote from: garbon on September 18, 2016, 03:11:09 PM

English Heritage have got a quit interesting range of houses and palaces in London, not your typical aristo's country seat which the national trust seems to concentrate on.

Yeah with is places in the city and places around England that I'm likely to visit, looked like it'd make more sense for me than the National Trust.

Richard Hakluyt

I like the original address of Apsley House, "Number 1, London"  :cool:

mongers

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on September 19, 2016, 02:24:14 AM
I like the original address of Apsley House, "Number 1, London"  :cool:

Indeed.

I also like that the road leading straight to it is called Rotten Row.  :bowler:

mongers

Interesting that there are places close to home that one's never visited; Just 10 or so miles from how are two road that both go up onto the Forest, turnings for which I've passed dozens of times on my way up to Salisbury, so this evening instead of doing some muddy off-road tracks, I crossed the valley and when up and down these little roads new to me.

Just a few extra miles I've never seen before, not on the way to anywhere for me, but still a pleasure to find somewhere new.