News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Out And About.

Started by mongers, November 07, 2012, 08:35:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malthus

Odd sighting the other day - I was walking with my wife through a cemetery not three blocks from my house, when we came across a deer grazing on the grass there. The deer eyed us warily but wasn't too fussed about our presence. 

This is in a big city, just south of one of its main streets - Bloor (for those who know Toronto). True, it is reasonably close to a big ravine, but not right next to it - the cemetery is surrounded on all sides by houses, streets, cars, etc.

The cemetery also had signs warning people to avoid the coyotes. Didn't see any of those, though.

It is just surprising to me that such large wildlife is now apparently at home in such an urban setting. 

Edit: this is the cemetery in question: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Park_Lawn_Cemetery

Looking at a map, it looks like it does directly back the nearby ravine.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Maladict

Quote from: Malthus on July 26, 2016, 02:36:30 PM
Odd sighting the other day - I was walking with my wife through a cemetery not three blocks from my house, when we came across a deer grazing on the grass there. The deer eyed us warily but wasn't too fussed about our presence. 

This is in a big city, just south of one of its main streets - Bloor (for those who know Toronto). True, it is reasonably close to a big ravine, but not right next to it - the cemetery is surrounded on all sides by houses, streets, cars, etc.

The cemetery also had signs warning people to avoid the coyotes. Didn't see any of those, though.

It is just surprising to me that such large wildlife is now apparently at home in such an urban setting. 

Edit: this is the cemetery in question: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Park_Lawn_Cemetery

Looking at a map, it looks like it does directly back the nearby ravine.

Cool  :cool:
Looking at the map, that's a stone's throw from a friend's place on Riverside Drive I visited way back.
One morning I saw a beaver scurrying along the road, I had no idea they were that big.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Zanza on July 25, 2016, 01:26:04 AM
Which would make it the perfect mountain for someone like Maladict who likes to go up, but not down. You can just climb the mountain and take the cable car back to the valley.

What, and die when the cable snaps and you fall to your death? There's no such thing as Superman to save you. Fuck that.

Gups

Quote from: Sheilbh on July 24, 2016, 12:12:25 PM
Quote from: garbon on July 24, 2016, 12:03:37 PM
Quote from: Zanza on July 24, 2016, 11:53:55 AM
The AfD pretending to care about gays is silly. These are the same people that were against gay rights not too long ago. They just hate muslims even more than gays.

Yeah, I think that's one of the particularly offensive parts of it. They don't really give a shit about gays but want us to join the hate bandwagon.
I'm not even sure they actually even want us to join. We're just a weapon for them to use against Muslims.

They'll let you join and then sharpen their long knives once power has been achieved.

Malthus

Quote from: Maladict on July 27, 2016, 03:07:15 AM
Looking at the map, that's a stone's throw from a friend's place on Riverside Drive I visited way back.
One morning I saw a beaver scurrying along the road, I had no idea they were that big.

Heh I remember how startled I was when I first saw a beaver close up, when I was a kid. They lived in a pond near my parent's cabin. One day I was walking by that pond, when a beaver came out of the water not five feet from me, gave me the evil eye, and dove back in the water - slapping the water with its tail for good measure as it went.

I nearly jumped out of my skin.

First, the damn thing was huge. As a kid, it looked like it was a veritable monster. 

Second, it was hideously ugly. In the cartoons, and even in nature specials, they look adorably cute. Not so close up. For one, they have truly massive teeth; for another, those teeth are a nasty shade of orange. It definitely looked like it could do you damage if it wanted. 

All in all, a creature better seen at a distance.  :D
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

mongers

Quote from: Malthus on July 27, 2016, 09:11:07 AM
Quote from: Maladict on July 27, 2016, 03:07:15 AM

Heh I remember how startled I was when I first saw a beaver close up, when I was a kid. They lived in a pond near my parent's cabin. One day I was walking by that pond, when a beaver came out of the water not five feet from me, gave me the evil eye, and dove back in the water - slapping the water with its tail for good measure as it went.

I nearly jumped out of my skin.

First, the damn thing was huge. As a kid, it looked like it was a veritable monster. 

Second, it was hideously ugly. In the cartoons, and even in nature specials, they look adorably cute. Not so close up. For one, they have truly massive teeth; for another, those teeth are a nasty shade of orange. It definitely looked like it could do you damage if it wanted. 

Being scared by your first sight of beaver, hmm, do tell me more.  :hmm:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Malthus

Quote from: mongers on July 27, 2016, 12:25:15 PM

Being scared by your first sight of beaver, hmm, do tell me more.  :hmm:

I'm talking about the kind with large teeth.

Even in the UK, that refers to the animal.  :P

Best not to confuse the two: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aYDfwUJzYQg

Sheilbh

Also true of badgers.

Surprisingly, worryingly, hench.
Let's bomb Russia!

mongers

Quote from: Sheilbh on July 27, 2016, 01:38:15 PM
Also true of badgers.

Surprisingly, worryingly, hench.

Yeah the black and white *doormat look is quite unattractive. 

* I've only ever seen two live badgers, despite living in a largely rural area and national park, all the other dozens of them have been dead.  Though I guess that's as sign of their breeding success, perhaps.  <_<

mongers

Had a collision/crash with a horse the forest this evening; no one's 'fault', I've a few cuts and bruises and quite amusing as the horse was entirely unconcerned.   :bowler:

First time in 35 years of using the forest, much rather that than being hit by a car; seams like a much softer bounce off a horse than a car.

garbon

Taking slower train from Frankfurt to Cologne. All the little towns along the Rhine are so picturesque!
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Zanza

I am in the Ladakh Region of India right now.  :)

Valmy

That is some amazing terrain there. What is the story with those buildings? Some kind of fort? Local village architecture?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Zanza

That's a fort and partially a monastery.

Valmy

Quote from: Zanza on August 15, 2016, 09:58:31 AM
That's a fort and partially a monastery.

How old are they?

I assume that is a Buddhist Monastery.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."