News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Out And About.

Started by mongers, November 07, 2012, 08:35:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maladict

Quote from: mongers on June 12, 2017, 07:49:09 AM
Had a choice between going to a folk festival this weekend or going out onto the Wessex downlands, no surprise I choose the later.  :bowler:

A wise decision  :cool:

Zanza

Southern Bavaria is just a beautiful place:

mongers

Yes, that is rather nice.   :cool:

This evening I just had to make do with a ride around the local national park.  :(

And at little more than 500 km2, our Americans friends would think it barley bigger than a city park.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Eddie Teach

That is quite large for a city park.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

mongers

Evening ride to a bit of Dorset I don't visit much, seems I found one of the hillier bits of NE Dorset, rather up hill and down dale.

Went the long way around to Knowlton Church, an abandoned Norman parish church.

Interestingly it sits right in the middle of a large henge, noticeably bigger than Stonehenge. Several other henges around, hence the name 'Knowlton circles.

https://goo.gl/photos/F2MKTWHbpMHg4WX66

Partial map:

Maladict

Wow, impressive  :cool:
I need to bump Dorset up The List.

mongers

Did one of my very favourite things, went for a walk on a rainy Summer's evening.  :bowler:

mongers

Just limiting myself to evening trips out at the moment.

Though I'm thinking of doing a few Tolkien inspired journeys in the 'wild', maybe go and find Balin in 'Moria' ?  :bowler:

CountDeMoney

Don't you have a job?

Richard Hakluyt

We don't need any boring old jobs in Brexit Britain  :yeah:

mongers

Had an evening walk around the Wiltshire countryside and then back along the river into the city of Salisbury, a favourite summer stroll of mine.  :bowler:

Thank goodness we've no had some rain and the countryside is looking less parched.

Gups

I like this thread but never contribute. So I thought I'd nick someone else's writing about one of our local events - the Lambeth Country Show. It's a strange event - with genuine country fair type offerings (sheepdog trials, petting animals, folk singers) mixed with the kind of festival (music, funfair, people getting pissed and stoned) you'd expect at a park in a multi-ethnic  inner suburban London neighbourhood.

Anyway, here's the blog entry and the intro

https://deserter.co.uk/2017/07/hot-in-herne-hill/

QuoteThere's something about Herne Hill on Lambeth Country Show weekend. Something unhinged, as if locals remove their reserve, like a fine cloak, fold it neatly and then douse it in kerosene, set it alight and snort the ashes.

I should have known something was up early doors on the Saturday when I was making my way down Milkwood Road towards Brockwell Park. A woman on the other side of the road waved and called over, 'Can I touch your beard?'

I smiled and nodded my assent, before she added, 'With my vagina?'

It was 11am.

mongers

Quote from: Gups on August 09, 2017, 10:56:44 AM
I like this thread but never contribute. So I thought I'd nick someone else's writing about one of our local events - the Lambeth Country Show. It's a strange event - with genuine country fair type offerings (sheepdog trials, petting animals, folk singers) mixed with the kind of festival (music, funfair, people getting pissed and stoned) you'd expect at a park in a multi-ethnic  inner suburban London neighbourhood.

Anyway, here's the blog entry and the intro

https://deserter.co.uk/2017/07/hot-in-herne-hill/

QuoteThere's something about Herne Hill on Lambeth Country Show weekend. Something unhinged, as if locals remove their reserve, like a fine cloak, fold it neatly and then douse it in kerosene, set it alight and snort the ashes.

I should have known something was up early doors on the Saturday when I was making my way down Milkwood Road towards Brockwell Park. A woman on the other side of the road waved and called over, 'Can I touch your beard?'

I smiled and nodded my assent, before she added, 'With my vagina?'

It was 11am.

:D

We get that quite a bit here as well, Ellingham show,  is a similarly urban influenced show; truth be told the number of people involve in the rural economy hereabouts is vanishingly small. 

Productive land is often given over to pony paddocks, mile after mile up the valley, as I saw this evening.

Syt

Part of the Museum's Quarter in Vienna is covered in scaffolding. It's been decorated:

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

garbon

I'm pretty sure while late to work that I saw Ian McKellen!
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.