News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Out And About.

Started by mongers, November 07, 2012, 08:35:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josquius

On Wednesday I had a nice walk around the perimeter of Berwick's Elizabethan town walls.
They've a number of plaques about the place now about Lowry's connection with the town. Quite interesting how he took some aspects you can clearly see unchanged today then added fictional elements around them.

Also interestingly I discovered you can climb right up on the castle. I wasn't feeling up to it so didn't repeat my treck of the walls of Constantinople, but will go back to do it someday I think.
██████
██████
██████

KRonn

Quote from: Tyr on August 09, 2020, 12:47:09 PM
On Wednesday I had a nice walk around the perimeter of Berwick's Edwardian town walls.
They've a number of plaques about the place now about Lowry's connection with the town. Quite interesting how he took some aspects you can clearly see unchanged today then added fictional elements around them.

Also interestingly I discovered you can climb right up on the castle. I wasn't feeling up to it so didn't repeat my treck of the walls of Constantinople, but will go back to do it someday I think.

Sounds like a great place to walk, lots of unique history.  :)

mongers

Beginning to run out of unexplored tangential road to where I live. :hmm:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

merithyn

Quote from: Tyr on August 09, 2020, 12:47:09 PM
On Wednesday I had a nice walk around the perimeter of Berwick's Elizabethan town walls.

This is why I want to move to Europe, at least for part of every year. Rambles here net me an old drainage pond and a community garden that's been overgrown all summer. :(

Mind, if I drive a good few miles first, I'll end up in a thousand year old forest, but no castles or ancient stone walls. :(
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Syt

The Wienfluss today:

It usually runs this low; it serves mostly as a valve in case of heavy rain.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

mongers

Very nice photo Syt.  :cool:

Maladict

That's next to that kitschy Strauss statue, right?

garbon

I stayed in the Hilton there...just near 2 years ago!
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Syt

Quote from: Maladict on August 21, 2020, 07:26:20 AM
That's next to that kitschy Strauss statue, right?

In the Stadtpark, yes.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Syt

Quote from: garbon on August 21, 2020, 07:38:22 AM

Has it been that long already? :o
—Stephen Jay Gould

garbon

Quote from: Syt on August 21, 2020, 08:09:41 AM
Quote from: garbon on August 21, 2020, 07:38:22 AM

Has it been that long already? :o

Right? Time flies! To think when you and I met up for dinner and beer, I'd just been on two dates with my now husband. :wacko:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Admiral Yi

Viennese storm drains are a lot sexier than LA storm drains.

Syt

Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 23, 2020, 09:26:02 AM
Viennese storm drains are a lot sexier than LA storm drains.

It's basically what it is. It used to be unregulated, but it caused flooding in the city on a regular basis. Only the bit at Stadtpark is pretty, though. Much of it looks more like this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wien_(river)

QuoteThe Wien is subject to huge variations in flow. In its headwaters in the Vienna Woods, the soil is underlain by sandstone. Because of this, during heavy rain the soil quickly saturates, resulting in substantial runoff. Thus, the flow of the Wien can quickly increase from a creek-like 200 litres per second (2,600 imp gal/min) to 450,000 litres per second (5,900,000 imp gal/min) in the heaviest rains or during the spring snowmelt in the Vienna Woods, a ratio of over 1:2000.

It used to look something like this:

This section is underground under what is now the Karlsplatz:

—Stephen Jay Gould

mongers

Popped out this evening on the bike, made it to Old Sarum, though no ravens about, as 8 pm is probably already passed their bed time.

Definite autumnal feel to the countryside, though a lovely mild evening. :bowler:

mongers

Lovely evening on the chalk downlands South of Salisbury, on the way back I scrumped some apples.  :bowler: