Previous topic - Next topic

Richard Hakluyt

Yeah, drivers do that, as if I know what coloured box they drive around in  :P

mongers

The dark evenings here, their only use making plans for next year.  :hmm:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Syt

Christmas market at Karlsplatz.

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

mongers

Quote from: Syt on December 03, 2019, 04:23:50 PM
Christmas market at Karlsplatz.

snip

Syt, lovely and tastefully done too.

KRonn

Syt, that's a beauty!  :)

Syt

Thanks. :) It's one of the nicer markets in Vienna. It has a lot of stands (I'm standing roughly in the middle there), and is not as cheap-ish as some other ones who basically serve mulled wine that comes from Tetrapaks ;)

The largest market is at city hall, but it's also the most generic one in terms of stands. Schönbrunn has the best backdrop, but it's clearly geared towards tourists. The one at Belvedere Castle is much cozier. Personally, I like the one at Spittelberg and its little 18th century alleys - it's usually crowded, but the arts/crafts sales stands are pretty cool. The one in the courtyard of the Altes AKH (the old 19th century hospital, now part of the university campus) is also very nice, and is popular among locals. For food I like the one at Freyung which has stands of producers of e.g. organic meats and cheeses from the Austrian countryside. The one at Kunsthistorisches has nice flair but, again, is primarily aimed at tourists. Hoher Markt is again one mostly for crafts sales stands, but also has some antiques stands.

Those are the main Christmas markets, but there's a couple more throughout the city.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

mongers

I can now read my digital watch at 5.43pm, gaining 13 minutes of evening light each week now; the long climb out of the dark depressing winter has begun.  :bowler:

KRonn

Quote from: mongers on February 04, 2020, 01:37:08 PM
I can now read my digital watch at 5.43pm, gaining 13 minutes of evening light each week now; the long climb out of the dark depressing winter has begun.  :bowler:

Oh yeah, it's light a lot longer in the evening. Still dark in early morning, I guess until about 6:45.

mongers

Worst ever Winter for me, hardly gone anywhere due to atrocious weather and other responsibilities.  <_<

Maladict

February has been awful. Other than getting soaked twice a day going to work, I haven't been out at all  :(

mongers

Quote from: Maladict on March 01, 2020, 06:36:42 AM
February has been awful. Other than getting soaked twice a day going to work, I haven't been out at all  :(

Now that Spring is here, things can only get better; this afternoon I managed to get out on the bike and go visit the sea, first time in four months.  :Embarrass:

mongers

Damn never imagined that the horizons of so many Languishites would shrink down towards mine. :(

And to think a few weeks ago I nearly booked a train journey to the Highlands for this coming weekend. <_<

Maladict

I've got my hike planned in the last week of May. Might as well cancel it now  :(

mongers

Quote from: Maladict on March 24, 2020, 12:33:11 PM
I've got my hike planned in the last week of May. Might as well cancel it now  :(

:(

Yes none of us are going anywhere till high summer, most likely.

Unless that is one becomes a refugee.

Syt

Needless to say, I've canceled my visit to the Tank Museum (Tankfest is postponed at this point, anyways). :(
—Stephen Jay Gould