News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Out And About.

Started by mongers, November 07, 2012, 08:35:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malthus

Quote from: Tonitrus on June 25, 2019, 04:43:29 PM
Hmm, well, I spotted one desiccated hare corpse, and then a half mile later a dismembered hare head.

That counts.  :D
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Admiral Yi

Was downtown yesterday for the Iowa City Jazz Festival.  Some good people watching.  Weather was perfect, 75 F at night.  I at my first Cubano.  Saw a deer running down one of the main drags!! Went to an after hours party with 12 dudes.  :(

mongers

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 07, 2019, 05:03:16 PM
Was downtown yesterday for the Iowa City Jazz Festival.  Some good people watching.  Weather was perfect, 75 F at night.  I at my first Cubano.  Saw a deer running down one of the main drags!! Went to an after hours party with 12 dudes.  :(

:cool:

Nice play it by ear, see what happens evening.  :)
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Tonitrus

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 07, 2019, 05:03:16 PM

That's too many dicks on the dance floor.

mongers

Yesterday evening I finally managed to get over the downs and onto Salisbury and Old Sarum, a much nicer route than usual one.

Though I had to contend with a bit of this, the chalk by-ways dug out by off-road nuts:

But it was worth it as wild flowers were out in abundance, especially the lavender, like here in the 'moat' at old Sarum:

mongers

Also came across the very unusual New Forest 'pony' one evening a couple of weeks ago, never seen one anything like this skewball:

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

mongers

Quote from: Eddie Teach on July 08, 2019, 08:06:07 PM
Is he part cow?  :hmm:

He certainly is a bit odd, the 'standard' for this pony breed is that there aren't any skewballs and if the few pieballs are very simply patterned, the vast majority of the breed being one colour or another.

KRonn

Mongers, you do indeed get some mileage and interesting scenery out of your "walk abouts".  :)

mongers

Had a nice ride out last night into Hampshire countryside, no one about.

This afternoon had to go to Salisbury hospital, family medical emergency, the Wiltshire scenery is looking green and healthy with all the recent rain we've had; pity I couldn't get out into it. <_<

KRonn

I hope your family emergency turns out ok.

mongers

Quote from: KRonn on August 19, 2019, 08:43:10 PM
I hope your family emergency turns out ok.

Thanks KRonn, finally light at the end of the tunnel, got her out of hospitals after 33 long trying days; looks like I might be a full time carer for a fair while now.

On my way home this evening stop on the main bridge over the river hereabouts, watched the last of the swallows busying themselves catching insects, probably in earnest preparation for the migration to Africa.

Good to pass a few minutes seeing the swans come into view as they glided towards their mid-river night rests, passing a herd of british white cattle in the far meadow. And bats about my ears heralded dusk as a solitary frog hopped past my feet. Just nice to stop and pretend for a while, all is well with the world.

Admiral Yi

European swallows or African swallows?

mongers

What's up with someone in a car flashing their lights and waving at me, don't they realise I can view the inside of the car to work out who it is, especially so at dusk. *

Guess that's another friend/acquaintance I've inadvertently snubbed, they think I'm stand-offish not to subsequently have contacted them etc.  :hmm:

* I should point out I know nearly nothing about the cars friends/acquaintances as I very rarely see them.

Malthus

Quote from: mongers on October 25, 2019, 03:38:56 PM
What's up with someone in a car flashing their lights and waving at me, don't they realise I can view the inside of the car to work out who it is, especially so at dusk. *

Guess that's another friend/acquaintance I've inadvertently snubbed, they think I'm stand-offish not to subsequently have contacted them etc.  :hmm:

* I should point out I know nearly nothing about the cars friends/acquaintances as I very rarely see them.

Perhaps they are trying to warn you of the frightful fiend sneaking up behind you.  ;)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius