News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Out And About.

Started by mongers, November 07, 2012, 08:35:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KRonn

Quote from: mongers on May 27, 2019, 07:33:23 PM
Went on an evening bike ride to Stonehenge today, first time I've been there solely by bike for more than two years.  :blush:

Nice, good ride, nice view. Sadly, I don't think we have any 'Henges' in the US.  Someone should get some big boulders, Easter Island look alikes, and make a few.  :cool:

Eddie Teach

Quote from: KRonn on May 29, 2019, 07:30:15 PM
Went on an evening bike ride to Stonehenge today, first time I've been there solely by bike for more than two years.  :blush:

Nice, good ride, nice view. Sadly, I don't think we have any 'Henges' in the US.  Someone should get some big boulders, Easter Island look alikes, and make a few.  :cool:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carhenge
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

KRonn

Quote from: Eddie Teach on May 29, 2019, 07:53:51 PM

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carhenge

Hehe, very cool! We do have Henges! Given how enamored we Americans are to our cars, it seems so appropriate to use cars in a US Henge.  :)

mongers

Thanks, 63 mile in 5 hours, felt fine the next day too, so maybe there's hope.

We have a lot of not so cool henges around here, a farmer on the downs found one on his land, all of 50 ft across !  Though it is cool you can find archeaology like that starting within the first foot of soil, been there waiting for 4-5,000 years to be redisovered.

He also found and exacated an ancient flint mine, so now he's got a ruddy great big 60 ft  close to his farmhouse.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

KRonn

Wow, a 63 mile ride is a long haul, good for you.  Great exercise.   :bowler:  I sure couldn't do it.  :blush:

mongers

Went for a ride into the heart of the forest earlier this evening, no one around just me, a few horses and a herd of fallow deer too close for me to stop for a photo.

Odd a national park with around 6-700,000 people within 15 miles of it's borders and abandoned to the wildlife and me.  :hmm:

Maybe they're too wedded to the TV, screens and social media?

Eddie Teach

Quote from: mongers on June 16, 2019, 06:05:59 PM

he posts on the internet...
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

mongers

Quote from: Eddie Teach on June 16, 2019, 06:28:34 PM
Quote from: mongers on June 16, 2019, 06:05:59 PM

he posts on the internet...

:D

Indeed.

mongers

On my way back from the beach yesterday evening, I encountered a weasel in the road, brown foot long cute little thing, never seen one before.   :cool:

Might have been a stoat but I think those are noticeably bigger, often hard to judge the size of things cycling by on a large bike.

Malthus

Quote from: mongers on June 24, 2019, 08:21:17 PM
On my way back from the beach yesterday evening, I encountered a weasel in the road, brown foot long cute little thing, never seen one before.   :cool:

Might have been a stoat but I think those are noticeably bigger, often hard to judge the size of things cycling by on a large bike.

If you saw a stoat or a weasel "cycling by on a large bike", you may have inadvertently slipped into the world of the Wind in the Willows ...  ;)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

mongers

Quote from: Malthus on June 25, 2019, 07:30:31 AM

If you saw a stoat or a weasel "cycling by on a large bike", you may have inadvertently slipped into the world of the Wind in the Willows ...  ;)

:lol:

Quite possibly so.

Malthus

Quote from: mongers on June 25, 2019, 07:36:57 AM

:lol:

Quite possibly so.

Protip: no matter how much he begs, do not let the Toad take your bike for a spin.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Tonitrus

Once on one of my runs along nearby farm roads, I slipped into the world of Watership Down.  :( 

Malthus

Quote from: Tonitrus on June 25, 2019, 04:06:00 PM
Once on one of my runs along nearby farm roads, I slipped into the world of Watership Down.  :(

Were you:

- Kidnapped for breeding stock by fascist rabbits?

- Invited to stay by kindly strangers, who it turned out were merely hoping you would be eaten first by the farmer?

- Told enigmatic prophecies of impending doom?

Tonitrus

Hmm, well, I spotted one desiccated hare corpse, and then a half mile later a dismembered hare head.