Main Menu

Out And About.

Started by mongers, November 07, 2012, 08:35:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mongers

Quote from: Malthus on September 14, 2018, 08:11:10 AM
Quote from: Zanza on September 14, 2018, 06:29:28 AM
Quote from: Zanza on September 08, 2018, 08:02:06 AM
Going to hike from Oberstdorf, Bavaria to Senalis, South Tyrol, starting tomorrow.  :cool:
Made it. Some tough stretches to cover with distances of 25+ km and up to 1900 meters up or down per day. Very scenic, awesome weather, some blisters and my feet just ache now.
Did not go the place where the Ötzi iceman was found.

Damn, I'm jealous.

Yes that's a rather epic hike.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Maladict

Quote from: Zanza on September 14, 2018, 06:29:28 AM
Made it. Some tough stretches to cover with distances of 25+ km and up to 1900 meters up or down per day. Very scenic, awesome weather, some blisters and my feet just ache now.
Did not go the place where the Ötzi iceman was found.

Awesome  :cool:

Route map please

Zanza

It was a pretty common variant of the E5 hike with six days and one bus trip through the Pitztal valley.

1st day was from Oberstdorf to Kemptner Hütte, about 12km, 1000m up
2nd day was from Kemptner Hütte to Memminger Hütte, about 26km, 1500 up, 1100 down
3rd day was from Memminger Hütte to Zamser Schihütte, about 20km, 2000 down, 1500 up --- brutal
4th day I "cheated" to recuperate from the previous day and instead of walking from Zams to Wenns and then taking the bus through the Pitz valley, I went around and only went up to the Braunschweiger Hütte, about 5km, 1000 up
5th day from Braunschweiger to Martin-Busch-Hütte, 1100 up, 1400 down, 25km
6th day from Martin-Busch to Senalis, 13km, 600 up, 1600 down

Admiral Yi

That's the Inglourious Basterds valley, jah?

Maladict

Quote from: Zanza on September 14, 2018, 03:06:19 PM
It was a pretty common variant of the E5 hike with six days and one bus trip through the Pitztal valley.

1st day was from Oberstdorf to Kemptner Hütte, about 12km, 1000m up
2nd day was from Kemptner Hütte to Memminger Hütte, about 26km, 1500 up, 1100 down
3rd day was from Memminger Hütte to Zamser Schihütte, about 20km, 2000 down, 1500 up --- brutal
4th day I "cheated" to recuperate from the previous day and instead of walking from Zams to Wenns and then taking the bus through the Pitz valley, I went around and only went up to the Braunschweiger Hütte, about 5km, 1000 up
5th day from Braunschweiger to Martin-Busch-Hütte, 1100 up, 1400 down, 25km
6th day from Martin-Busch to Senalis, 13km, 600 up, 1600 down

Nice  :cool:

I'm thinking of incorporating some of the E5 into my long terms plans.
Does it get crowded? By hiking standards of course.

Zanza

Quote from: Maladict on September 15, 2018, 10:36:21 AM
Yes, very crowded for an alpine hike. Several big tourist groups with guides on the path together with us. That was actually rather annoying, e.g. we had to wait at the Seescharte for slow-moving groups ahead and the huts were all rather crowded with annoying people.

mongers

In contrast to the above epic yomps, I only managed to get out to a favourite hill fort yesterday evening, all of 30-35 mile trip. :blush:

Maladict

45km hike today turned into 52km due to several navigation errors.
Quite the slog in the end, but the weather was fantastic again.

And a costly one too, as I managed to crack my phone screen throwing it across a ditch. :bleeding:

mongers

Quote from: Maladict on September 16, 2018, 11:10:48 AM

And a costly one too, as I managed to crack my phone screen throwing it across a ditch. :bleeding:

That's some going.  :cool:

Do you carry much in your backpack?

Sorry about your phone.

Maladict

Quote from: mongers on September 16, 2018, 11:33:22 AM

That's some going.  :cool:

Do you carry much in your backpack?

Sorry about your phone.

I usually plan my routes so there's a place I can have lunch about midway.
In that case I only take a couple of sandwiches, bananas and energy bars.
Two 1.5 L bottles of water, a fleece jacket, rain gear and a battery pack for my phone.
If the scenery is particularly promising I bring my DSLR camera as well.

KRonn

That is quite a nice, long hike. That's serious stuff and great exercise. 

Maladict

Quote from: Zanza on September 16, 2018, 08:42:42 AM
Quote from: Maladict on September 15, 2018, 10:36:21 AM
Yes, very crowded for an alpine hike. Several big tourist groups with guides on the path together with us. That was actually rather annoying, e.g. we had to wait at the Seescharte for slow-moving groups ahead and the huts were all rather crowded with annoying people.

Yeah I thought it might be. All the well known paths are becoming mass tourism magnets.  :(

garbon

Quote from: mongers on September 06, 2018, 05:32:45 PM
Quote from: garbon on September 06, 2018, 05:27:03 PM
Ooh, that's open long enough, I might fold that into my weekend trip idea to go to Blenheim to see the Yves Klein exhibit. I'd been thinking I'd to the overnight stay in Oxford. :cool:

A jolly nice trip.  :cool:

A guy at the exhibit said they've been crazy busy, but it's suddenly quietened down the last few days.

Gorgeous, sunny day to be tromping around Blenheim Palace and its gardens. Definitely overpacked on layers of clothing. :D

Now to overnight in Oxford and will see the Tolkien exhibit tomorrow.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

mongers

Quote from: garbon on September 29, 2018, 11:10:58 AM
Quote from: mongers on September 06, 2018, 05:32:45 PM
Quote from: garbon on September 06, 2018, 05:27:03 PM
Ooh, that's open long enough, I might fold that into my weekend trip idea to go to Blenheim to see the Yves Klein exhibit. I'd been thinking I'd to the overnight stay in Oxford. :cool:

A jolly nice trip.  :cool:

A guy at the exhibit said they've been crazy busy, but it's suddenly quietened down the last few days.

Gorgeous, sunny day to be tromping around Blenheim Palace and its gardens. Definitely overpacked on layers of clothing. :D

Now to overnight in Oxford and will see the Tolkien exhibit tomorrow.

:cool:

Glad you had a nice time.

I too over packed on clothing, ended up taking a thick heavy jumper and hat I didn't need on a 30 mile bike ride, a t-shirt was more than adequate.  <_<

garbon

All the Tolkien illustrations were very interesting to see. Exhibit was super packed though. At one point was in a queue to see the display of drawings for The Hobbit. :D
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.