News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Out And About.

Started by mongers, November 07, 2012, 08:35:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

I'd completely forgotten she was in Logan's Run (or never made the connection) and haven't seen The Avengers.

I was thinking of another, earlier movie, but that kind of scotches my trivia question.

Admiral Yi

[spoiler]The Eagle Has Landed[/spoiler] is what I was thinking of.

Winter Soldier I saw.  What part did she play in that?

Eddie Teach

Councilwoman Hawley.

I don't remember the character either.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

mongers

Had a spare 2.5-3 hours in Oxford today, good grief I'd forgotten how much of a tourist magnet the city is.

First time I'd seen the newish extension to the Ashmolean musuem, rather impressive.

I'd also failed to remember just how bonkers the Pitt Rivers collection is.  :bowler:

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

KRonn

More fun times Mongers. :)

mongers

Yesterday in Bristol I had a couple of spare hours, so I took the train to Weston Super Mare, a typical Victorian small sea side resort.  :bowler: 

Not been there before, not likely to again as it's not on the way to anywhere for me, out on the Somerset coast. Still a nicely pleasant place on a late afternoon in Summer.

mongers

Done over 1,200 miles on trains in the last couple of working weeks for a works project, plus 150 miles on buses and 170 miles on bike to get to and from the stations; I think I've had enough of train interiors for a while.  <_<

KRonn

Quote from: mongers on July 01, 2018, 06:24:42 AM
Done over 1,200 miles on trains in the last couple of working weeks for a works project, plus 150 miles on buses and 170 miles on bike to get to and from the stations; I think I've had enough of train interiors for a while.  <_<

That's a lot of miles! Do you get frequent rider miles??  ;)

Eddie Teach

Mongers are you a government agent of some sort?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Syt

"Remains of the Weekend"
Still life in wood, plastic, metal.

Normally the cleaning crews take care of stuff like that in the touristy areas of town early in the day. Guess they were running late today.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Syt on July 09, 2018, 02:25:54 AM

"Remains of the Weekend"
Still life in wood, plastic, metal.

Normally the cleaning crews take care of stuff like that in the touristy areas of town early in the day. Guess they were running late today.

Not Japanese tourists I am guessing  :D

mongers

Went to an exhibition of Henry Lamb paintings at the museum yesterday afternoon.

I particularly like these two:

Irish Soldiers surprised by a Turkish bombardment in the Judean hills, WW1

I think it was called an evening in the village, from the 1930s

mongers

I've not seen any horses, ponies, cattle or deer on this edge of the forest over the weekend, so yesterday evening I cycled across half of the national park to find some and sort out a quick morning route to a different railway station.

Lovely evening ride and it turns out most four hoofed animals are over that way because there's been noticeably more rain there, so better grazing, though still an odd thing to see.   :bowler:

Also I think a fair number of horses might have been brought in by their owners to avoid when the stallions are let loose onto the forest for a month per year. 

mongers

Friday evening I went out for a ride across the forest, usually I come across two or three cars coming the other way that time of day, this time once I got onto the mainly single width road I encountered at least 200. :bleeding:

The main road across the forest was congested and probably the southerly one too, so I guess googlemaps/applething was sending these drones on multi-dozen mile detours down entirely unsuitable forest roads, just so they could all get to the same uber crowded beaches. :rolleyes:

I decided not to go back that way, didn't fancy dozens of cars trying to overtake me on a narrow road, so I had to ride up north and take an off-road route back across the forest. Nice contrast with absolutely no one about, but not ideal on a road bike.  :bowler:

mongers

In Oxford today, had some spare time so went to the Tolkien exhibition at the Bodleian:

https://tolkien.bodleian.ox.ac.uk/about-the-exhibition/

I'm not a die-hard Tolkien fan, but found it well done and surprisingly interesting;definitely worth catching if you're down from 'town' for the day.