And we're back!

Main Menu

Out And About.

Started by mongers, November 07, 2012, 08:35:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Richard Hakluyt

Quote from: Malthus on March 28, 2018, 01:38:25 PM
Quote from: garbon on March 28, 2018, 01:30:10 PM
Walked down to see the new art piece on the fourth plinth at Trafalgar Square: "The Invisible Enemy Should Not Exist"

A lamassu made of date syrup cans.

That's pretty awesome.  :)

Probably my favourite of the 4th plinth exhibits so far  :cool:

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Malthus

Quote from: Eddie Teach on March 28, 2018, 08:57:57 PM
I don't think they're all that common, I've never seen one in the wild.

They are common in Toronto. I see (and smell) them a lot.

Even more common here are raccoons, which are an even bigger problem in a way, because they are very intelligent and have what amount to hands ... it is difficult to keep them out of stuff (like the garbage, or your garage).

In the country, a major menace here are porcupines, particularly if you have dogs not trained to avoid them (they can maim or kill dogs with their spines).  Porcupines are a problem because they like to gnaw stuff that tastes good to them - like plywood, the handles of tools (salty!) and car engine parts (they like the taste of some chemicals). They used to gnaw at the flooring of my dad's cabin, until he built a fence to keep them out.

Also, bears are becoming increasingly common. You never saw them when I was a kid, now they are everywhere in Simcoe County.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

mongers

Quote from: Malthus on March 29, 2018, 08:39:55 AM

They are common in Toronto. I see (and smell) them a lot.

Even more common here are raccoons, which are an even bigger problem in a way, because they are very intelligent and have what amount to hands ... it is difficult to keep them out of stuff (like the garbage, or your garage).

In the country, a major menace here are porcupines, particularly if you have dogs not trained to avoid them (they can maim or kill dogs with their spines).  Porcupines are a problem because they like to gnaw stuff that tastes good to them - like plywood, the handles of tools (salty!) and car engine parts (they like the taste of some chemicals). They used to gnaw at the flooring of my dad's cabin, until he built a fence to keep them out.

Also, bears are becoming increasingly common. You never saw them when I was a kid, now they are everywhere in Simcoe County.

Interesting.

Nature often finds a way, despite how invasive a species we become.  :D
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Malthus

Quote from: mongers on March 29, 2018, 09:30:23 AM

Interesting.

Heh, modern folks often have the impression nature is delicate and fragile. That's because they haven't experienced much of it.  :D

Fact is, nature isn't delicate and fragile at all - as a whole - it is just *changeable*, often into things we don't like. Human actions can't easily kill off "nature", but they can just kill off those parts of it that give us pleasure, leaving the hardy weeds, rats, and roaches to survive ... or, slightly better, squirrels, raccoons, and skunks.  ;) 
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

mongers

Quote from: Malthus on March 29, 2018, 09:36:35 AM
Quote from: mongers on March 29, 2018, 09:30:23 AM

Interesting.

Heh, modern folks often have the impression nature is delicate and fragile. That's because they haven't experienced much of it.  :D

Fact is, nature isn't delicate and fragile at all - as a whole - it is just *changeable*, often into things we don't like. Human actions can't easily kill off "nature", but they can just kill off those parts of it that give us pleasure, leaving the hardy weeds, rats, and roaches to survive ... or, slightly better, squirrels, raccoons, and skunks.  ;)

Indeed.

Yep, lets see, we have weeds like japanese knotweed taking over the rivers in these parts, rats are an issue here and anywhere else in the West where food is wasted.  Squirrels too, the N.American grey has all but taken over from our reds natives.

But we do seem to be missing the raccoons, and skunks, so far.  :D

And as Kronn has mentioned the deer are becoming an issue, at least in terms of road accidents, both for drivers and the animals, I see quite a few dead deers by the roadside or in nearby ditches.

merithyn

Quote from: mongers on March 16, 2018, 08:15:06 AM
Hawthorns blossom is out in full here, birds are beginning to build nests, I'm getting out and about more in the lighter evenings and to cap it all l've had a haircut, so Spring MUST be in a real thing?  :bowler:

:wub:

It's cherry blossom season here. I'm in three different photography clubs, and each of them are converging in the same places at dawn to take pictures of all of the trees. Nothing like a park with two dozen photographers, tripods in hand, traipsing around and getting in one another's way.

It got to the point that I ended up taking pictures of the photographers instead of the blossoms.

This weekend, I'm taking the camera and the puppy out for some hiking. It's supposed to be really nice out on Saturday.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

mongers

Quote from: merithyn on March 29, 2018, 04:15:01 PM
Hawthorns blossom is out in full here, birds are beginning to build nests, I'm getting out and about more in the lighter evenings and to cap it all l've had a haircut, so Spring MUST be in a real thing?  :bowler:

It's cherry blossom season here. I'm in three different photography clubs, and each of them are converging in the same places at dawn to take pictures of all of the trees. Nothing like a park with two dozen photographers, tripods in hand, traipsing around and getting in one another's way.

It got to the point that I ended up taking pictures of the photographers instead of the blossoms.

This weekend, I'm taking the camera and the puppy out for some hiking. It's supposed to be really nice out on Saturday.

:cool:

Odd coincidence this exact time last year I was in Cardiff, and I took some photos of the lovely cherry blossom in the parks there.

Thinking on your feet, a hallmark of a good creative photographer.

Oh and thanks Meri for the reminder to get myself in gear, check the weather forecast and plan the weekend. :cheers:

mongers

In effect a four-day national holiday here starting tomorrow, time to get out and about amidst the tradition English rain and mud.  :bowler:

KRonn

Quote from: merithyn on March 29, 2018, 04:15:01 PM

Hehe, sounds like you had some amusing scenery for photos.  :)

garbon

Of course I picked day of Stephen Hawking's funeral to visit Cambridge so barricades and 'funeral tourists(?)' :blush:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Valmy

Huh. They are fairly common here and you are not that far away from me.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Valmy on April 01, 2018, 11:14:06 PM

Huh. They are fairly common here and you are not that far away from me.

I have spent virtually all of my time in Texas in cities.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Jacob

Last night after dinner I went out with the family to look at the cherry blossoms in Queen Elizabeth park. Well... the kid and I went off with his push bike to the fountain.

There was a couple walking together. The guy asked if I'd take a picture of them by the fountain. I said sure. Then he got down on his knee and presented a diamond ring to the girl. I didn't hear her answer, but I'm pretty sure she said yes. I took a bunch of pictures, they said thanks, I said congratulations, and we parted ways. They looked very happy.

KRonn

Quote from: Jacob on April 07, 2018, 11:26:06 PM
Last night after dinner I went out with the family to look at the cherry blossoms in Queen Elizabeth park. Well... the kid and I went off with his push bike to the fountain.

There was a couple walking together. The guy asked if I'd take a picture of them by the fountain. I said sure. Then he got down on his knee and presented a diamond ring to the girl. I didn't hear her answer, but I'm pretty sure she said yes. I took a bunch of pictures, they said thanks, I said congratulations, and we parted ways. They looked very happy.

That's very cool, serendipitous; in the right place at the right moment.  :)