News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Everyday Adventures

Started by The Brain, April 18, 2010, 03:22:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 02, 2023, 05:21:02 PM
Quote from: Barrister on October 02, 2023, 03:30:51 PMOn the plus side, after the game there's probably a decent chance our team goes out to grab drinks at one of the many restaurants/bars attached to the mall.  As long as they don't mind us bringing our stinky hockey gear with us.

Mall bars. :bleeding:

We did not in fact go out to a mall bar afterwards.  Game was over at 10pm on a Monday, people just went home.

Playing at the mall was interesting.  It was incredibly warm out on the ice (since the mall is at room temperature).  It was interesting that people would just stop by and watch for awhile.  What I found funny is how I'm out on the ice yelling at my teammates - ordinarily you'd get asked to leave if you were yelling in a mall like that, but it is quite expected in playing hockey.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

The Brain

Today I was at a conference and there was a guy there who looked like Fred Armisen.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Josquius

Quote from: Barrister on October 02, 2023, 02:55:39 PMI have a rec league hockey game tonight.  I have a game every week, so not much of an adventure really.

But what's different is tonight game is at West Edmonton Mall.  Reportedly the biggest mall in North America.

Malls being repurposed (or is this an original build that holds over?) for leisure activities pleases me.
██████
██████
██████

Barrister

Quote from: Josquius on November 16, 2023, 11:50:54 AM
Quote from: Barrister on October 02, 2023, 02:55:39 PMI have a rec league hockey game tonight.  I have a game every week, so not much of an adventure really.

But what's different is tonight game is at West Edmonton Mall.  Reportedly the biggest mall in North America.

Malls being repurposed (or is this an original build that holds over?) for leisure activities pleases me.

West Edmonton Mall is definitely the largest mall in Canada, depending on how you measure it might be the largest mall in north america, and is sadly one of the things Edmonton is best known for.

But anyways it has long had a number of attractions besides being just a mall.  It (obviously) has a skating rink, but it has a water park, an amusement park, a pirate ship, and sea animal attractions.  It used to have submarine rides but they took those out years ago - too expensive to maintain.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Josquius

I see.
Locally we have what was once the largest mall in Europe. It used to have an indoor theme park (again biggest in Europe I think) which was awesome but back in the 2000s as part of a big renovation they ripped this out and built a tonne more retail space instead....
Yet now the trend is very much back the other way with retail on the decline and malls wanting to be leisure destinations.
I find the whole thing quite fascinating. A sort of side-issue to the development of cities overall with some of the same rules and some completely different.
██████
██████
██████

garbon

Yeah terrible that there were physical locations where people found it convenient to shop.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

HVC

Quote from: garbon on November 16, 2023, 12:51:30 PMYeah terrible that there were physical locations where people found it convenient to shop.

If it's not inconvenient Josq doesn't like it. Whether it's transportation, shopping, or housing :P
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Jacob

Quote from: HVC on November 16, 2023, 06:04:30 PM
Quote from: garbon on November 16, 2023, 12:51:30 PMYeah terrible that there were physical locations where people found it convenient to shop.

If it's not inconvenient Josq doesn't like it. Whether it's transportation, shopping, or housing :P

Arguing with people on languish is pretty convenient, and Josq seems to like that....

HVC

Quote from: Jacob on November 16, 2023, 07:56:37 PM
Quote from: HVC on November 16, 2023, 06:04:30 PM

Arguing with people on languish is pretty convenient, and Josq seems to like that....

Every rule needs an exception to prove it :D
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Josquius

I'm confused at this reply chain.
Where did I say I don't like convenience?
That malls are generally dying is nothing to do with my likes or dislikes. That they're not convenient is a big part of why this is happening.
██████
██████
██████

garbon

Quote from: Josquius on November 17, 2023, 02:05:06 AMI'm confused at this reply chain.
That malls are generally dying is nothing to do with my likes or dislikes. That they're not convenient is a big part of why this is happening.

Think a little about some of your stances that would result in less convenience for people.

Malls were once very convenient for people though I'd agree with the age of online shopping, they are less and less relevant.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Josquius

Quote from: garbon on November 17, 2023, 07:16:40 AM
Quote from: Josquius on November 17, 2023, 02:05:06 AMI'm confused at this reply chain.

Think a little about some of your stances that would result in less convenience for people.

None come to mind. Wanting things to be more convenient for people is kind of my thing.

edit- ah, wanting to see an elimination of domestic air travel and general reduction in flights would have this effect. As is my anti fast fashion/pro repair outlook. Odd place to suddenly bring it up though.
██████
██████
██████

Tamas

Also your anti-car outlook :p

Josquius

Quote from: Tamas on November 17, 2023, 08:13:55 AMAlso your anti-car outlook :p
Improving convenience is the key feature of this :contract:
Both on a short term more convenient day to day lives level and a bigger "The ice caps melting and mass die offs would be pretty damn inconvenient"
██████
██████
██████

Jacob

Yeah, of all the things to hold against Josq "anti-convenience" is a bit of a stretch.

It was sort of funny though.