Author Topic: The Atlantic Op Ed: Pandemic reveals US as failed state  (Read 1138 times)

Eddie Teach

• Neil
Re: The Atlantic Op Ed: Pandemic reveals US as failed state
« Reply #75 on: May 06, 2020, 12:07:39 pm »
What support do you have for that claim?

The fact that the measures taken in the US were broadly in line with what other countries did (except our stimulus seems to have been much more generous).  That Italian and Spanish style lock downs are the domain of state governments.

Wow, I have heard of Americans being completely out of touch with what is happening in the rest of the word. But wow!

What word?

The Word was with God. The Word was God.
You know I'm going to lose and gambling's for fools
But that's the way I like it, baby, I don't want to live forever.

Hong Kong Add Oil :showoff:

The Brain

• Blessed by Valmy
  • All man
« Reply #76 on: May 06, 2020, 12:30:52 pm »
What support do you have for that claim?

The fact that the measures taken in the US were broadly in line with what other countries did (except our stimulus seems to have been much more generous).  That Italian and Spanish style lock downs are the domain of state governments.

Wow, I have heard of Americans being completely out of touch with what is happening in the rest of the word. But wow!

What word?

The Word was with God. The Word was God.

No matter where you say it you know that you'll be heard.
You are gay.

Zanza

• Incan Torpedo Boat Commander
« Reply #77 on: May 06, 2020, 12:50:34 pm »
The Fund for Peace characterizes a failed state as having the following characteristics:
  • Loss of control of its territory, or of the monopoly on the legitimate use of physical force therein
  • Erosion of legitimate authority to make collective decisions
  • Inability to provide public services
  • Inability to interact with other states as a full member of the international community
From the outside, I get the impression that the intense partisanship of the federal government, not just the executive, but also legislative and also the Supreme Court do cause an erosion of "legitimate authority to make collective decisions" in the US at the federal level. There seems to be very little consensus and a lot of confrontation without even trying to embrace the political opponents or find solutions that are not directly benefitting the own political clientele.
I don't see an signs for the other three points.

Valmy

• Neil
  • Champions du Monde
« Reply #78 on: May 06, 2020, 12:51:47 pm »
If you cooperate with the opposition you can expect to pay a steep political price with little benefit.
If we can hit that bull's-eye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!

Valmy is practically french. :frog:

Honorary gay award from Martinus