News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The China Thread

Started by Jacob, September 24, 2012, 05:27:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie Teach

Those parts were their own 25 years ago though. I don't think Putin is actually looking for a fight with other great powers.

China is the greater threat in the long run. But there's not much that can be done.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Monoriu

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on March 09, 2014, 03:17:09 AM
Those parts were their own 25 years ago though.

Danzig, 1939  :P

Eddie Teach

Germany had never controlled Austria prior to the Anschluss.

Josquius

Quote from: Monoriu on March 09, 2014, 02:32:45 AM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on March 08, 2014, 09:54:04 PM
Quote from: Monoriu on March 08, 2014, 06:17:05 PM
Seriously, you guys should worry about the Russians  :P

Save it, Shark Fin Soup.  We know who the real threat is, and it's not Russians with their filthy ethnicky hang-ups and it's not Suq Madiq training with Al Qaeda on monkey bars somewhere in Dirtbagistan.

/shrug.  Feel feel to think what you want to think.  But I just think it is pretty horrible to just march into another country and claim parts of it as your own.  That to me looks suspiciously close to what another guy did in the 30s. If you don't think that's a threat, then don't say you haven't been warned  :menace:

China did that to an entire country....
██████
██████
██████

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Monoriu on March 09, 2014, 02:32:45 AM
/shrug.  Feel feel to think what you want to think.  But I just think it is pretty horrible to just march into another country and claim parts of it as your own.  That to me looks suspiciously close to what another guy did in the 30s. If you don't think that's a threat, then don't say you haven't been warned  :menace:

I'm sure the residents of Taipei feel relieved now.

Valmy

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on March 09, 2014, 03:32:56 AM

Well if you consider Nazi Germany the Third Reich then it was.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Valmy on March 10, 2014, 04:03:31 PM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on March 09, 2014, 03:32:56 AM

Well if you consider Nazi Germany the Third Reich then it was.

Austria had controlled Germany, not the other way around ;)

Valmy

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on March 10, 2014, 04:11:43 PM
Austria had controlled Germany, not the other way around ;)

And how was that different from the Third Reich?  :ph34r:
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

CountDeMoney

QuotePLAN commissions first Type 052D DDG, puts second on sea trials
Ridzwan Rahmat, Singapore - IHS Jane's Navy International

China's People's Liberation Army Navy (PLAN) commissioned the first of its Luyang III (Type 052D)-class guided missile destroyers (DDG) at the Jiangnan Shipyard in Shanghai on 21 March. The vessel was handed over in a ceremony presided over by PLAN commander Admiral Wu Shengli, who described the vessel as an asset that will "greatly enhance the navy's fighting capabilities".

Kunming , with pennant number 172, appears to be a development of the Luyang II (Type 052C)-class destroyer but feature several improvements in terms of design, weapons and sensors.

The 7,500-tonne warship has a range of 4,500 n miles and can attain a top speed of 30 kt. It can accommodate a crew of 280 and carry up to two Harbin Zhi-9A Haitun or Kamov Ka-28 Helix helicopters on its flight deck.

The Luyang III class incorporates an enhanced version of the indigenously developed Type 346 Dragon Eye active phased-array radar on its forward superstructure. The vessels have provisions for one bow-mounted sonar and towed array sensors each although further details on these are not yet available.

The ships are armed with six Yu-7 324 mm torpedoes that can carry a 45 kg warhead over a range of 14 km. Aircraft persecution is achieved with 64 HHQ-9B vertical launching system (VLS) cells divided between the forward and aft sections of each boat. These are designed to fire 90 kg warheads up to a distance of 100 km. The Luyang III class's firepower is augmented with one H/PJ38 130 mm main gun and one Type 730 30 mm gun on each vessel.

Shortly after the commissioning of Kunming , Chinese state media reported on 23 March that its sister ship Changsha , with pennant number 173, took to the waters of Zhoushan in eastern China to commence sea trials. Both vessels are expected to be based in the South Sea Fleet. The PLAN is expected to operate a fleet of 10 Luyang III-class DDGs.

I love how the Chinese have starting using much more menacing nicknames for their hardware, like "Dragon Eye".  Then again, it sings better than "Counterfeit Aegis Ripoff Orchid Blossom."

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

CountDeMoney

Great movie.  Stupid boardgame.

Eddie Teach

Go to sleep, Louis, or I'm telling Mom about your Playboys.  :mad:

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Neil

To be fair, their Aegis radar is probably just as good as the USN version, what with the parts being made in China and them having access to the plans courtesy of their spies students.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Neil on March 24, 2014, 09:06:29 PM
To be fair, their Aegis radar is probably just as good as the USN version, what with the parts being made in China and them having access to the plans courtesy of their spies students.

Probably doesn't work past all the lead paint it's covered with.