Main Menu

The China Thread

Started by Jacob, September 24, 2012, 05:27:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacob

Quote from: Phillip V on January 25, 2013, 02:24:23 PM
Lust will destroy you! :o

Chinese Officials Fired Over Sex Scandal

'China's state news media reported on Friday details of a sex extortion ring that brazenly operated "honey traps" in the southwest metropolis of Chongqing for several years. The widening scandal, which first emerged late last year, has led to the dismissals of at least 11 officials of the Communist Party, government or state-owned companies for having sex with women in the ring and then being blackmailed by the men who had set up the snares.'

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/01/26/world/asia/chinese-officials-fired-over-chongqing-sex-scandal.html

I think it's "honey trap," singular. This is the picture going around purporting to be of the woman who brought down Zhengfu Lei and the 10 other officials:

Monoriu

Quote from: Tyr on January 25, 2013, 03:14:53 AM
Well that's just stupid.
Take what you can get till you get what you want.

"I have never and will never consider a factory job — what's the point of sitting there hour after hour, doing repetitive work?" he asked.
:hmm:
I've read Mono's stories and......

You don't understand me.  I *want* to do repetitive work.  It is just that I don't get it.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Monoriu on January 25, 2013, 05:57:04 PM
She doesn't even do full nude.  Only showed her breasts at most, I think.  She is actually an accomplished dancer, so her trademark move is to do the splits.  The newspapers like to make fun of the fact that her upper lips are abnormally thin.  She has a habit of using lipstick to cover that up.

Who gives a shit.  I'd give her a squirt of my duck sauce right between those lips, lipstick or not.

Ed Anger

Well, I can never eat duck again.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

garbon

I think Seeds might need to get his pipes checked.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

CountDeMoney

My pipes froze and burst many winters ago.   :(

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Jacob

Fresh rumor: Zhou Yongkang is said to have committed suicide.

Jacob

Big in Chinese media right now: some people who were falsely accused of rape and murder where set free when it came to light there was no evidence against them and their confessions were brutally tortured. The policewoman in charge of their case was previously lauded as a hero for solving so many cases so quickly; there's some sort of back and forth whether this was simply "one mistake" or a pattern.

In any case, she is seen as a protege (if somewhat down the line) of Zhou Yongkang who was known for that sort of brutal tactics in his career (and as the powerful Minister of Public Security). Whether Zhou has committed suicide or not, it seems that his star - and hopefully his approach - is waning.

Phillip V

Wary of China, Companies Head South

'Manufacturers are flocking to Southeast Asian countries like Cambodia, below, as a way to limit their reliance on factories in China, where blue-collar wages have surged.'

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/04/09/business/global/wary-of-events-in-china-foreign-investors-head-to-cambodia.html

Valmy

The race to the bottom continues!

Some day they will run out of countries to flee to.  Then people might get paid again....or the robots will have fully taken over.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Neil

Quote from: Valmy on April 09, 2013, 02:30:16 PM

Some day they will run out of countries to flee to.  Then people might get paid again....or the robots will have fully taken over.
That day will be a dark day for public order in the West.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

HVC

Quote from: Valmy on April 09, 2013, 02:30:16 PM

they'll get paid but won't be able to afford anything :P
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

The Minsky Moment

The Chinese textile sector still dwarfs its neighbors (about 10x larger than Vietnam).  The sheer size of the workforce and operations means that change will be incremental.  China also had infrastructure and transport advantages and productivity levels are higher so they can get away with somewhat higher wage levels for some time. 
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Josquius

Industry leaving China for SE Asia has been happening for some time. Something which China's international behaviour has really been helping along.
██████
██████
██████