News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The China Thread

Started by Jacob, September 24, 2012, 05:27:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

Quote from: mongers on October 11, 2012, 10:15:01 PM
Rather sad, sounds rather like aspects of Hollywood in the 30s/40s.

I know.  I'm so fucking jealous.

Eddie Teach

Otoh, chan must be a better actor than us westerners realized.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

mongers

Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 11, 2012, 10:16:48 PM
Quote from: mongers on October 11, 2012, 10:15:01 PM
Rather sad, sounds rather like aspects of Hollywood in the 30s/40s.

I know.  I'm so fucking jealous.

:D
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Jacob

Quote from: mongers on October 11, 2012, 10:15:01 PMRather sad, sounds rather like aspects of Hollywood in the 30s/40s.

Yeah.

I wonder how much of that is going on today.

Camerus

Quote from: Jacob on October 11, 2012, 09:39:32 PM
Quote from: Pitiful Pathos on October 11, 2012, 09:11:01 PM
Bo Xilai also apparently paid a famous actress $1M US on ten separate occasions for sex.

Got a link?

And is it Zhang Zhiyi? Because that's the rumour I heard, though she denies it.

Nah, no link.  Just a rumour that I heard from some friends here.

The Brain

Quote from: Pitiful Pathos on October 11, 2012, 11:32:15 PM
Bo Xilai also apparently paid a famous actress $1M US on ten separate occasions for sex.

Got a link?

:rolleyes: Why not quote Wiki when you're at it?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Camerus

Quote from: The Brain on October 12, 2012, 06:28:32 AM
Quote from: Pitiful Pathos on October 11, 2012, 11:32:15 PM

Got a link?

:rolleyes: Why not quote Wiki when you're at it?

Hey,if you want harder details on celeb gossip, I suggest you try your luck with perezhilton.  ;)

CountDeMoney

QuoteHuawei offers access to source code and equipment

Huawei has offered to give Australia unrestricted access to its software source code and equipment, as it looks to ease fears that it is a security threat.
Questions have been raised about the Chinese telecom firm's ties to the military, something it has denied.
Australia has previously blocked Huawei's plans to bid for work on its national broadband network.
Huawei said it needed to dispel myths and misinformation.
"Huawei has done a very poor job of communicating about ourselves and we must take full responsibility for that," said John Lord, chairman of Huawei's Australian arm.
He added that the company needed to be more open and would give the Australian authorities "complete and unrestricted access" to its software source code and equipment.
The comments were made in a speech by Mr Lord to Australia's National Press Club.

'Collaborative approach'
He also recommended that Australia should set up a cyber evaluation centre to test equipment used in the country's communication networks.
Mr Lord suggested the centre be funded by various telecom equipment vendors and operated by "security-cleared Australian nationals".
Huawei said it was necessary for the manufacturers and regulators to work together to allay security fears.
Mr Lord said that a similar centre had been established in the UK and that Huawei had given British security agencies access to its source codes, allowing them to test the security credentials of its equipment.
"No single country, agency, vendor, or telco has all the answers to solving cyber security issues," Mr Lord said.
"It requires a collaborative approach by all to ensure we can create the most secure telecommunications environment possible."

Showing the source code and equipment isn't the problem, you little yellow assholes.  It's the equipment you put in after showing the source code, shrink wrapped and sealed prior to install with "QA/QC" labels on them.

Tamas

"Is China using it's telecom firms to spy on another countries?" Of course it does, why wouldn't it? They don't mind selling slaves to foreign companies, they don't mind destroying their own enviroment, they don't mind gunning down their students. Why should the world think that it is espionage which they can't stomach?

Josquius

Quote from: Tamas on October 24, 2012, 06:50:22 AM
"Is China using it's telecom firms to spy on another countries?" Of course it does, why wouldn't it? They don't mind selling slaves to foreign companies, they don't mind destroying their own enviroment, they don't mind gunning down their students. Why should the world think that it is espionage which they can't stomach?

Getting caught spying is bad for business.
██████
██████
██████

garbon

Quote from: Tyr on October 24, 2012, 06:54:22 AM
Quote from: Tamas on October 24, 2012, 06:50:22 AM

Getting caught spying is bad for business.

There's a lot of markets for them to peddle their technology in and ones that would be most upset like America - well we already have the House telling us we should stay away from their products.

Besides, depending on how closely tied they are to Chinese gov't, they aren't exactly the same as a standard business. At least that's what the 60 minutes report told me.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Camerus

There is virtually no distinction between larger business and the Party. Or indeed, courts of law and the Party.  Thus every business dealing with China should be treated in essence as a dealing with the Communist Party, with any legal dispute in that country being decided by the selfsame Communist Party.  America is smart to stay far away from Huawei.

garbon

Quote from: Pitiful Pathos on October 24, 2012, 07:12:10 AM
There is virtually no distinction between larger business and the Party. Or indeed, courts of law and the Party.  Thus every business dealing with China should be treated in essence as a dealing with the Communist Party, with any legal dispute in that country being decided by the selfsame Communist Party.  America is smart to stay far away from Huawei.

So how long until they come for you? :(
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Camerus

Quote from: garbon on October 24, 2012, 07:19:24 AM
Quote from: Pitiful Pathos on October 24, 2012, 07:12:10 AM

So how long until they come for you? :(

Never. They aren't a totalitarian state (anymore) in the sense westerners understand, but rather something rather different.   Anyway, I do like China and even think the Communist Party has much to recommend it based on realistic alternatives, but to deny the lack of distinction between big business and the Party would just be untrue.