News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Building New PC

Started by sbr, August 23, 2012, 06:08:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Liep

I had just tried plugging it in with the usb power cable, once I put in the unify receiver it worked. Also there's RGB lighting on the stock cpu heat sink. I blame you viper for that mess. :D
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

viper37

Quote from: Liep on September 11, 2020, 04:19:41 AM
I had just tried plugging it in with the usb power cable, once I put in the unify receiver it worked. Also there's RGB lighting on the stock cpu heat sink. I blame you viper for that mess. :D
:goodboy:
My gaming board has RGB lighting and I can shuffle the colors with an app  :blush:
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Grey Fox

My motherboard, ram, mouse & keyboard can be coordinated.

I only coordinate the mouse & keyboard.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Saladin

Thinking of buying a new pc, what do you guys think of this setup?

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Black Edition 42 CFM CPU Cooler   
Motherboard: ASRock B550 Phantom Gaming 4/ac ATX AM4 Motherboard
Memory: Crucial Ballistix 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory
Storage: Kingston A2000 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive 
Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon RX 5700 XT 8 GB GAMING OC Video Card
Case: be quiet! Pure Base 500DX ATX Mid Tower case
Power Supply: SeaSonic CORE GM 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply
"You'd be better served taxing your conscience for those who deserve your regret."

viper37

Quote from: Saladin on October 19, 2020, 02:10:29 AM
Thinking of buying a new pc, what do you guys think of this setup?

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Black Edition 42 CFM CPU Cooler   
Motherboard: ASRock B550 Phantom Gaming 4/ac ATX AM4 Motherboard
Memory: Crucial Ballistix 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory
Storage: Kingston A2000 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive 
Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon RX 5700 XT 8 GB GAMING OC Video Card
Case: be quiet! Pure Base 500DX ATX Mid Tower case
Power Supply: SeaSonic CORE GM 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply
AMD coolers are more than decent, unless you want to push the system toward its overclocking unit.  just make sure it's the retail version of the CPU, though (boxed one).
Check the price difference between the 3600x and the 3600.  At 10% or less price difference, it's worth it.  up to 15%, it might be a toss up. above that, might not be worth it.  Although apparently their auto-overclock mechanism is much better in these 3rd generations cpus.
And if you want to overclock, the B550 series is not that great, better lean toward their X series of motherboard chipset.
SSD is okayish, Samsung EVO Plus are faster, but likely pricier.
Power supply: good choice, but I have a personal preference for full modular.  But it's a very good unit. :)

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Liep

I invested in a different cpu cooler - the stock amd might be fine for cooling but it's loud in a high pitch sort of way.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

viper37

Quote from: Liep on October 23, 2020, 01:22:01 AM
I invested in a different cpu cooler - the stock amd might be fine for cooling but it's loud in a high pitch sort of way.
Hmm, I have the default cooler at work, Ryzen 5 1500x, and I don't hear it...

But it's a matter of preference, so go for it, Cooler Master has some good coolers, but I don't know this specific model, but I'm sure it's a good one.  If noise is important for you, just check the reviews online to make sure the db level under load compares favorably to stock cooler, if you haven't done it already :)

Saladin

I'm probably not going to overclock the system but I'm still undecided about the motherboard, these are the choices:

Asrock:
X570 Phantom Gaming 4
B550 Phantom Gaming 4/ac
B550M Pro4
B550 Pro4

MSI:
MSI B550-A Pro
MSI B550M Pro-VDH WiFi
MSI MAG B550M Bazooka
"You'd be better served taxing your conscience for those who deserve your regret."

viper37

Quote from: Saladin on October 27, 2020, 05:08:10 AM
I'm probably not going to overclock the system but I'm still undecided about the motherboard, these are the choices:

Asrock:
X570 Phantom Gaming 4
B550 Phantom Gaming 4/ac
B550M Pro4
B550 Pro4

MSI:
MSI B550-A Pro
MSI B550M Pro-VDH WiFi
MSI MAG B550M Bazooka
I had bad experiences with MSI motherboards, but others swear by it.

B550 is B550, no matter what the trailing laters are.  And nowadays, most of the chipset functions are integrated into the CPU instead of the motherboard, so it won't actually matter much which model or brand you pick, by I had reliability problems and deficient bios upgrades compared to ASUS' mbs.

The x570 main difference is the number of PCI-E 4.0 slots, 3, compared to 1 for the B550.  So, PCI-E for B550 is 1 Gen4 and 2 Gen3 instead of 3 Gen4.  The Gen 4 would be useful if you intend to use more than one video card and that is pretty much dead with recent games and never worked really well in older games.  Or if you have need of another PCI-E 4.0 slot for another card.

The x570 may also be easier to overclock, but I think the B550 has more options compared to the B350 and the B450, so totally unsure.

I'd recommend to stick with a B550, unless you really need the extra PCI-E 4.0 lanes.

Now, B550M series are Micro-ATX boards.  They will fit in an ATX case, they are just of a smaller form.  Could be problematic with some video cards, so use www.pcpartpicker to make sure everything you have fits in there.  If you use an after market CPU cooler, you may run into some problems fitting everything in there, so triple check your measurements.

B550 is the regular ATX board.

ac or wi-fi simply indicates the board has wifi 802.11ac capabilities. If you already have an adapter, it's not important to invest in that, even if the difference is minimal.

Saladin

Waiting for the last part but I hope I will be able to build my new PC on Friday:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor  (€197.99 @ Mindfactory)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U12S SE-AM4 CPU Cooler  (€57.69 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Motherboard: MSI B550-A PRO ATX AM4 Motherboard  (€120.79 @ Computeruniverse)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory  (€71.90 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Storage: Kingston A2000 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  (€102.76 @ Alza)
Video Card: PowerColor Radeon RX 5700 XT 8 GB Red Devil Video Card  (€406.99 @ Mindfactory)
Case: be quiet! Pure Base 500DX ATX Mid Tower Case  (€102.70 @ Computeruniverse)
Power Supply: SeaSonic FOCUS Plus Gold 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply
Monitor: Samsung C32JG56 32.0" 2560x1440 144 Hz Monitor

viper37

You should enjoy gaming with that PC :)

Liep

Another challenge for the Languish experts, a cheap PC for my nephews so they can play Fortnite and Minecraft and whatever else kids age 9-10 play these days but also suitable for any games they'll play at age 12-13.

Budget including all except monitor is €400.

Or will it be easier/better to just go buy a no-name PC with some shiny LED fans and hope for the best?

Barrister

Fortnite and Minecraft are not graphically intensive.

Best bet is to buy the best laptop you can buy for the money.  It'll take up less space, they can bring it over to friends to game, and can be useful for schoolwork.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Barrister on November 21, 2020, 01:16:34 PM
Fortnite and Minecraft are not graphically intensive.

Best bet is to buy the best laptop you can buy for the money.  It'll take up less space, they can bring it over to friends to game, and can be useful for schoolwork.

Agreed, laptops are definitely the way to go these days and they can be acquired for cheap.

Syt

My four year old system runs fine, but it's starting to show its age, so I ordered a new setup today:

CPU :Intel Core i9-10900X 10x 3.70GHz Cascade Lake-X (BX8069510900X)
Mainboard:ASUS Prime X299-A II (90MB11F0-M0EAY0)
GPU:ASUS TUF Gaming GeForce RTX 3080 OC RTX3080 10GB 2x HDMI 3x DP (90YV0FB1-M0NM00)
RAM:32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO Kit DDR4 2.666 MHz (CMW32GX4M4A2666C16)
SSD:500GB Samsung 970 EVO Plus M.2 NVMe (MZ-V7S500BW)
SSD:1000GB Samsung 970 EVO Plus M.2 NVMe (MZ-V7S1T0BW)
HDD:Seagate IronWolf Pro NAS HDD +Rescue 4TB, SATA 6Gb/s

Comes in this case: be quiet! Midi Silent Base 801 Window black

I thought about going with liquid cooling this time, but I'm too paranoid about leakages. I feel more comfortable cleaning good old fans. :lol:

My old PC will remain as backup. If I was still streaming, I would use the old one as streaming/encoding PC while the new one would run the games.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.