News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Building New PC

Started by sbr, August 23, 2012, 06:08:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vricklund

:shutup:

I'd say it's a toss up between the fx4170 and a phenom 965be. Get whichever is cheaper. Other than that it looks like a good build.

Liep

965 was 200kr cheaper. Ordered and thanks!
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Liep

Building a computer yourself isn't nearly as fun as I imagined, all I'm thinking is: "this'll never work." :P
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Grey Fox

Have you installed the CPU yet?
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Liep

Yeah, that went in fairly smoothly, but I had to use a bit more pressure to get the fan to click in that I'd like. Anyhoo, it's installing windows 7 now on the SSD.

Grey Fox

Everybody expect the things to just slid in. You have to press down HARD!
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

sbr

Liep

Everything went fine until the Windows Update. Stuck at 107/136. :bleeding:

Liep

It's updated, but there's defintely something wrong. There's random delays on the mouse and keyboard input.

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Liep on February 08, 2013, 03:02:10 PM
It's updated, but there's defintely something wrong. There's random delays on the mouse and keyboard input.

Run dxdiag.  If you're using USB mouse and keyboard, chances are that Windows is taking input via DirectInput, so dxdiag should log any errors there.
Experience bij!

Liep

Quote from: DontSayBanana on February 08, 2013, 09:39:19 PM
Quote from: Liep on February 08, 2013, 03:02:10 PM

Run dxdiag.  If you're using USB mouse and keyboard, chances are that Windows is taking input via DirectInput, so dxdiag should log any errors there.
Thanks, but turns out the unify receiver weren't too happy about being close to the wireless card, moved 'em up and it's now fine.

It's sort of pleasing to have Skyrim recommend the Ultra High Settings on the cheapest computer I've ever bought. Fuck you Dell and Compaq! :P

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Liep on February 09, 2013, 05:49:45 AM
Thanks, but turns out the unify receiver weren't too happy about being close to the wireless card, moved 'em up and it's now fine.

It's sort of pleasing to have Skyrim recommend the Ultra High Settings on the cheapest computer I've ever bought. Fuck you Dell and Compaq! :P

Indeed.  I was having a conversation the other day where the other person simply refused to believe me that Dells are insanely overpriced and always have been.  I think the only thing that's kept them afloat is their willingness to supply volume orders for schools and companies at cost.
Experience bij!

Liep

Quote from: Liep on February 03, 2013, 04:53:22 AM
CPU:  AMD FX-4170 4.2GHz Quad-Core Processor
Motherboard:  Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 ATX  AM3+ Motherboard
Memory:  Corsair 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory
Storage:  Samsung 840 Series 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk
Video Card:  Gigabyte Radeon HD 7870 2GB Video Card
Case:  NZXT Tempest 210 ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply:  Corsair Enthusiast 650W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply

It's been 5 years so I ask thee Languishites: what cheap upgrades can be made to have EU4/CK2/FM run a little faster? And if possible be able to run new-ish shooters at an acceptable fps (such as mass effect 2 and 3).

crazy canuck

This might be the worst time ever to upgrade your video card.

Josquius

Quote from: crazy canuck on February 22, 2018, 01:24:44 PM
This might be the worst time ever to upgrade your video card.
How so?
██████
██████
██████