Main Menu

Sleeping Dogs

Started by Scipio, August 14, 2012, 06:10:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacob

Some of it should be in there :)

Scipio

Again, great on the Daptone records.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

Razgovory

Hey there is a demo out.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

BuddhaRhubarb

:p

Octavian

I'm finding myself spending an unusual and unhealthy amount of time in the game visiting prostitutes and grapping random women dragging them into alleys or to my apartment

:CDM:

If you let someone handcuff you, and put a rope around your neck, don't act all surprised if they hang you!

- Eyal Yanilov.

Forget about winning and losing; forget about pride and pain. Let your opponent graze your skin and you smash into his flesh; let him smash into your flesh and you fracture his bones; let him fracture your bones and you take his life. Do not be concerned with escaping safely - lay your life before him.

- Bruce Lee

Vricklund

The game is getting alot of crap in one of swedens biggest news papers - aftonbladet. Full review here: http://www.aftonbladet.se/nojesbladet/spela/recensioner/article15296330.ab

Quote from: google translateI am provoked by playing "Sleeping Dogs" and it is not because it has some controversial social scores or a story that challenges the videogame conventions. I am provoked to it being so damn clumsily. Every aspect of it is constructed of bunglers who are only interested in exploiting stereotypes. It is full of the superficial, hackneyed sort of game design that screams out that the developers did not have anything relevant to depict in the game, nothing important to say. However, it shows up alarmingly misogynist tendencies in its portrayal of women and racial stereotypes as the game's only black character is reduced to leave a bad taste in the mouth. This while the world is a mix of all the most uninteresting bits from every sandbox game you can think of.

Scipio

Quote from: Vricklund on August 26, 2012, 03:26:13 AM
The game is getting alot of crap in one of swedens biggest news papers - aftonbladet. Full review here: http://www.aftonbladet.se/nojesbladet/spela/recensioner/article15296330.ab

Quote from: google translateI am provoked by playing "Sleeping Dogs" and it is not because it has some controversial social scores or a story that challenges the videogame conventions. I am provoked to it being so damn clumsily. Every aspect of it is constructed of bunglers who are only interested in exploiting stereotypes. It is full of the superficial, hackneyed sort of game design that screams out that the developers did not have anything relevant to depict in the game, nothing important to say. However, it shows up alarmingly misogynist tendencies in its portrayal of women and racial stereotypes as the game's only black character is reduced to leave a bad taste in the mouth. This while the world is a mix of all the most uninteresting bits from every sandbox game you can think of.

Well, that's just like, their opinion, man.

It's a game about fucking gangsters.  They do not have healthy and appropriate attitudes towards women, or brown people, or anyone else.  Sheesh.  I bet this reviewer is upset about the racism inherent in Tolkien's invented universe.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

Jacob

The black character thing was something they fucked up after I left the game, unfortunately.

The whole thing about him was that he was supposed to be this famous gangster rap producer guy who was in town to make some money from his rep, and he had to be seen to "live the life" but really, he was sick and tired of it, he was jet lagged, and he wanted to go back to his hotel and call his wife.

... I think I'll put something in my blog about it.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Jacob on August 26, 2012, 01:14:51 PM
this famous gangster rap producer guy

Because they have such deep, complicated and non-traditional personalities.

Jacob

Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 26, 2012, 02:08:39 PM
Quote from: Jacob on August 26, 2012, 01:14:51 PM
this famous gangster rap producer guy

Because they have such deep, complicated and non-traditional personalities.

http://jacobkrarup.blogspot.ca/

... that said, I read that Swedish review. That dude sounds like a pretty unhappy individual.

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Admiral Yi

Do you have any monetary upside from this game's success Yakie?

Any triad members with muttonchop sideburns?

Jacob

Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 26, 2012, 02:48:49 PM
Do you have any monetary upside from this game's success Yakie?

Not to my knowledge, as I'm no longer associated with UFG. I suppose that they could give me a cut of whatever hypothetical sales/success bonus they're getting from Square Enix, but I'd be pretty surprised if they did.

QuoteAny triad members with muttonchop sideburns?

I don't think that's the current fashion, no.

Razgovory

Well I never would have pegged Jake as a racist and a misogamist.  I'll keep a closer eye on him now. :ph34r:
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Ed Anger

Quote from: Razgovory on August 26, 2012, 05:55:43 PM
Well I never would have pegged Jake as a racist and a misogamist.  I'll keep a closer eye on him now. :ph34r:

He went up a couple notches in my book.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive