News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Sleeping Dogs

Started by Scipio, August 14, 2012, 06:10:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

Dammit, this game is going to derail my entire NCAA 2013 season.

FunkMonk

I caved in and bought it now at full price for the PS3.

Played it for about eight or nine hours now and so far it's my favorite game this year.

I love the dialogue between the minor NPCs, like the vendors. I never realized how empty my life was until I had a pork bun.

The combat is great. It really does feel a lot like Arkham Asylum. The slow motion gimmick works really well too and it gives the feeling of John Woo movie.

I really like the story so far. Only about 40% done with the main story. My main criticism so far is it feels too short. Much of my eight hours in the game has been spent doing open-world game sorta things, like fleeing the police after stealing a boat and smashing pedestrians into my open car door while I'm driving at 80 mph.

Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Caliga

Quote from: The Brain on August 18, 2012, 08:21:30 AM
Are all characters thinly disguised Languish posters?
The protagonist is based on me.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

The Brain

Quote from: Caliga on August 19, 2012, 10:37:06 AM
Quote from: The Brain on August 18, 2012, 08:21:30 AM
Are all characters thinly disguised Languish posters?
The protagonist is based on me.

Gas stations provide health pickups but you also get a minor DOT?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Scipio

A great game.  I simply cannot put it down.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

Jacob

Quote from: Scipio on August 20, 2012, 03:05:46 PM

:hug:

What are your favourite bits?

Scipio

Quote from: Jacob on August 20, 2012, 03:06:37 PM
Quote from: Scipio on August 20, 2012, 03:05:46 PM

:hug:

What are your favourite bits?
The dialogue.  And the Daptone station.  The perfect Hong Kong soundtrack.  The hand to hand comabt is good, but the driving is exceptional.  The plot is not original, but it is well-crafted.  Originality is overrated.  There's a very Wars of the Roses thing going on.  Uncle Po is great.  Not Ping is great.
-Jose Canseco

-Every cop, The Wire

-John Hurt

Scipio

Old Salty Crab is Mono, right?
-Jose Canseco

-Every cop, The Wire

-John Hurt

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Jacob

Quote from: garbon on August 21, 2012, 10:02:21 PM
I love Mrs. Chu. :wub:

Me too :hug:

Any particular bits that spring to mind?

Octavian

It's a great game indeed. :)

Love the combat, the story, the open world, the characters and voice acting, the driving and the slow motion effect. I'm using the high texture pack and it looks great and runs smoothly although shadows are at normal.

If you let someone handcuff you, and put a rope around your neck, don't act all surprised if they hang you!

- Eyal Yanilov.

Forget about winning and losing; forget about pride and pain. Let your opponent graze your skin and you smash into his flesh; let him smash into your flesh and you fracture his bones; let him fracture your bones and you take his life. Do not be concerned with escaping safely - lay your life before him.

- Bruce Lee

Scipio

Why is it that Russian girls have Ukrainian accents and pronounce their names like Ukes in all these fucking games?  Just asking.
-Jose Canseco

-Every cop, The Wire

-John Hurt

Jacob

Quote from: Scipio on August 22, 2012, 07:42:20 AM
Why is it that Russian girls have Ukrainian accents and pronounce their names like Ukes in all these fucking games?  Just asking.

Dude, when it was an Activision game she was going to have an Orange Valley accent...

As it happens, however, in HK any East European prostitute is referred to as "Russian".

BuddhaRhubarb

when you bump into some random pedestrian and he says "hey buzz off" or those kinds of things, a few of those are Buddha dialogue... or at least they were way back when this was just starting... maybe Yakie (or some post Yakie writer?)  rewrote that stuff.
:p