News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Europa Universalis IV announced

Started by Octavian, August 10, 2012, 10:05:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tamas

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on October 20, 2020, 08:23:37 AM
Well we could have wasted it all on drink and women............damn........we really have screwed up  :(

I am fairly confident I would have spent similar amount of time nerding out on something else if the Pdox games haven't come around. :P

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Tamas on October 20, 2020, 10:07:04 AM
Well we could have wasted it all on drink and women............damn........we really have screwed up  :(

I am fairly confident I would have spent similar amount of time nerding out on something else if the Pdox games haven't come around. :P

Some of us are unlike George Best. :(

Syt

Quote from: Josephus on October 20, 2020, 06:21:34 AM
Europa Universalis is celebrating its 20th anniversary. I checked my account on P'dox. I joined in April 2001, almost at the beginning.

Man, what a waste of life  :D

Jan 26, 2001 the forums say. I registered to get tech support, because a patch broke the copy protection for me and I couldn't launch the game anymore. :P
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Richard Hakluyt

I find that deficiencies in Paradox games tend to point me towards the history books. So for every hour of play I maybe read a couple of hours more history than I might otherwise have done. Mind you, one could ask what use is that as well.

Zanza

I still play EU IV occasionally as I still enjoy it. It's a great game despite some questionable design decisions and tacked on features from DLCs.

Josephus

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on October 20, 2020, 10:12:23 AM
Quote from: Tamas on October 20, 2020, 10:07:04 AM

Some of us are unlike George Best. :(

There's a reference maybe three other people will get  :lmfao:
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Josephus

Quote from: Syt on October 20, 2020, 10:26:58 AM
Europa Universalis is celebrating its 20th anniversary. I checked my account on P'dox. I joined in April 2001, almost at the beginning.

Jan 26, 2001 the forums say. I registered to get tech support, because a patch broke the copy protection for me and I couldn't launch the game anymore. :P

Same here. I never bothered with forums up until then. But I noticed with EU there was this oddity where, even if you lost a war, the enemy would still pay you 25 ducats.  Then I learned all about the wonderful world of Paradox patches.

People also may forget, or may not realize, in the original EU you could only play as one of six nations. But on the forum I learned there was a mod for that. The mod also had a Vinland fantasy game ...and, I'll just stop now. Fuck I'm old
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

The Minsky Moment

The one thing I remember from the old old days of pdox was this Polish guy sapura geeking out about Polish hussars.

I joined late-ish (Nov 01) but I lurked for quite a bit.  I bought the German edition of EU which IIRC came out earlier than the American one but mostly tinkered about with it until EU2 came out.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

garbon

Quote from: Josephus on October 20, 2020, 11:48:04 AM
Quote from: Syt on October 20, 2020, 10:26:58 AM

Same here. I never bothered with forums up until then. But I noticed with EU there was this oddity where, even if you lost a war, the enemy would still pay you 25 ducats.  Then I learned all about the wonderful world of Paradox patches.

People also may forget, or may not realize, in the original EU you could only play as one of six nations. But on the forum I learned there was a mod for that. The mod also had a Vinland fantasy game ...and, I'll just stop now. Fuck I'm old

I was just fiddling with such things at 16. -_-
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

In feeling old...post by an EU4 content designer.

Quoteas you can imagine, I'm also a big fan of GSGs, and I used to play a lot of CK with my dad
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Tamas

Quote from: garbon on November 19, 2020, 04:24:45 AM
In feeling old...post by an EU4 content designer.

Quoteas you can imagine, I'm also a big fan of GSGs, and I used to play a lot of CK with my dad

OMG I was an effin' betatester of CK1.

Syt

I got shouted at on IRC by Peter Ebbesen or Johan in an MP test game because I created the Teutonic Knights, stealing one of their territories. :Embarrass:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Syt

So, I tried once more to get into this.

Playing as Castille. How hard can it be?

Befriended Aragon, Portugal and France. Built up my army to get the claims on Granada. Went to war with Granada and annexed them.

All good.

Wait, what's that banner? "Looming disaster. Castillian Civil War in 12 months." Apparently because my king sucks (<2 Admin and Diplo each). I can't replace my king (my heir is worse), so tons of troops rise up. Also Granadan independence fighters (that's after kicking out the Moriscos and making the area Catholic via decisions, so who are these guys ...). Too many troops, my armies get whittled down by constant stacks popping up, and the nobles and separatists eventually win. Granada is back (Muslim, but the province is Catholic), I have a decent king, but no my crown lands are reduced (I guess due to the nobles winning the civil war?), and I'm hit with heavy penalties to taxes, so that I have to reduce my army because even with reduced maintenance I can't pay for it anymore. I can take crown lands back, but the estates are already pissed. I take some, anyways, put down another uprising, and ... can't seize more lands for 5 years (I have to do this 3 more times to get above the magic threshold of 30% crown lands ...).

At which point I'm too annoyed with he game to continue. Play time: 28 years.

Btw, am I missing something? I had to core the Granada provinces. Then I could form a state from them. And then I have to core them again? Is that working as intended? :unsure:

P.S.: Yes, I'm aware that lots of people play and enjoy the game. But in my case, I have no idea what I should have done differently. It's one thing to fail and then realize, "Oh, should have paid attention to [this]", and then next time you avoid [this]. But I am not getting that with the game at this point in its life cycle. Things fall apart, but I'm struggling to understand where I made my mistakes
—Stephen Jay Gould

Valmy

There are a lot of details to manage in EUIV. I transferred a save from CK2 last year and my empire immediately went into crisis because of all these rules about how cores and states and provinces work among other weird esoteric rules. It required some pretty serious triage and reforms to get it working again. So which issue is plaguing your Castile is hard to know, but it could just be you were unlucky and got a political crisis due to RNG Jesus judging you unworthy.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

crazy canuck

Syt, I think what happened is you didn't wait for the truce with Granada to end before you attacked (the game starts with a truce in place).  As a result, when you attacked you took a big stability penalty and that explains all the rebellions.

Otherwise, you had a start I have never seen playing as Spain.