News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Europa Universalis IV announced

Started by Octavian, August 10, 2012, 10:05:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

Played some more, crushed the Commonwealth with Russia to get my cores.

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Solmyr

jimmy olsen

I launched the Protestant League War of Liberation and wow, you know, bad as the Thirty Year's War was, I don't think it was quite this bad.

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

jimmy olsen

Why is the Papacy neutral, and why did it donate 55 ducats to me?  :hmm:

Pope must really hate the Austrian Emperor.

1 Karma Chameleon point

Eddie Teach

Tim, don't let fatherhood get in the way of your aar! :o
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Eddie Teach on April 30, 2018, 03:55:17 PM
Tim, don't let fatherhood get in the way of your aar! :o

Much save scumming later and it is 1670. I have finally knocked the Commonwealth and their Swedish puppet out of the war, while Austria has done the same to many of my minor German allies. With the war reduced to one front across Central Europe, will I prevail? Stay tuned...

Honestly this was way harder than I expected. There were literally dozens of armies caroming across the board like pinball from hell. Maybe it will make more sense once I internalize the fort zone schema, but there was not an easily discernible front line.

1 Karma Chameleon point

Zanza

I am back to playing EU4. The new mission trees are nice enough (depends on the country, some are completely whacky alt-history, some are railroading you towards the historical outcomes), there are new small mechanics such as government reforms, upgrading trade centers and charter companies etc. that give you a big more to do. They have really fleshed out the non-European powers as well (with Dharma, Mandate of Heaven and Cradle of Civilization).
They will redo central Europe next and I am looking forward to that.

Caliga

I have come to the conclusion that as it stands now EU4 is terrible at simulating the growth of the Portuguese Empire, and it's a challenge to even play the game as Portugal and empire build as effectively as the Portuguese did.

If I was Kenny I would be rubbing a bitch over this grave insult against my nation. :mad:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Josephus

Quote from: Caliga on June 12, 2019, 07:42:35 PM
I have come to the conclusion that as it stands now EU4 is terrible at simulating the growth of the Portuguese Empire, and it's a challenge to even play the game as Portugal and empire build as effectively as the Portuguese did.

If I was Kenny I would be rubbing a bitch over this grave insult against my nation. :mad:

Kenny. Since he got his hand wet, I havent' seen him around these parts much.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Caliga

Started a new campaign as England the other day, my first-ever game with that country.  Playing as England so far has proved pretty fun and I've no idea why I hadn't tried it before.

In my first playthrough I ragequit during Wars of the Roses, but in my second playthrough, now that I understood the mechanics, I pretty easily weathered it... and it helps to have an heir born instantly following marriage. :)

I also refused to surrender Maine, and was doing pretty well in the resulting war (fought the French to a standstill) but was worrying about the impending WotR disaster, so I ended up surrendering (just) Maine to them anyway.  Now Burgundy is in the process of pounding France to a pulp. :cool:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

garbon

Looks like the chrome isn't ever coming off EUIV. They are introducing marines...
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Threviel

It's reasonable as a way to use your sailor manpower for other things than sailing ships.

The Brain

Quote from: Threviel on December 25, 2019, 04:28:02 PM
It's reasonable as a way to use your sailor manpower for other things than sailing ships.

Sodomy: Am I a joke to you?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

garbon

Quote from: Threviel on December 25, 2019, 04:28:02 PM

Yes, you build an unnecessary feature and then support it by introducing another unnecessary one.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Threviel

Ahh, yes, I agree. But what else can they do but adding features?