And we're back!

Main Menu

Europa Universalis IV announced

Started by Octavian, August 10, 2012, 10:05:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazy canuck

Quote from: Josephus on January 18, 2018, 10:28:03 AM
Quote from: Benedict Arnold on January 16, 2018, 07:16:38 PM
I keep playing EUIV, but I keep burning out by about 1600 or so.  Too much micromanaging with all of the provinces they keep adding. :(

1600 is pretty quick, but yeah, I'm normally done by 1700

I told myself that I would finally complete a game.  But it is 17 something and I really dont have much to do as GB - colonize  the Americas (and fight colonial wars), control the Indian and Spice trades, dominate my trade node, peacefully annex Scotland, Occupy all of Ireland, bring in Irish and Scots as accepted cultures - all done.  Continental invasions don't seem to have any particularly point. 

Josquius

I always suspected the game is designed with this in mind given the naff ending screen.
██████
██████
██████

garbon

The Anglican Church gets implemented.

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Valmy

Ah yeah. Sweet sweet monastic land.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

mongers

Quote from: Tyr on October 04, 2017, 01:36:12 AM
I lost interest a while ago too. The whole thing is getting too bloated.
I saw a video a few weeks back about where eu3 was better. I become tempted to start and EU 3 game.

Interesting viewpoint; I have EU3 complete on steam, but have yet to install it, so I'll give it a spin.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

jimmy olsen

I used to be pretty good with EU3, but I just loaded EU4 up and was overwhelmed by the interface.

What's a good country/time period to learn the features?
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Zanza

Spain and Portugal are straightforward.

As Portugal get an alliance with Spain, conquer Tangiers and then Caribbean and West Africa and then just reap your trade income once the colonies bring money.
With Spain get an alliance with France (restart if they rival you) and then also concentrate on colonisation. Consider conquest of Portugal.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Zanza on April 15, 2018, 11:44:06 AM
Spain and Portugal are straightforward.

As Portugal get an alliance with Spain, conquer Tangiers and then Caribbean and West Africa and then just reap your trade income once the colonies bring money.
With Spain get an alliance with France (restart if they rival you) and then also concentrate on colonisation. Consider conquest of Portugal.

How does the economy work? I was in an immediate deficit on start and appointing ministers or doing almost anything seemed to just increase that.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

Alcibiades

Ministers cost money.  You can decrease maintenance like the last games for your military, and you can also mothball forts for half the maintenance costs of them but can be really dangerous if you get invaded later.
Wait...  What would you know about masculinity, you fucking faggot?  - Overly Autistic Neil

OTOH, if you think that a Jew actually IS poisoning the wells you should call the cops. IMHO.   - The Brain

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Alcibiades on April 15, 2018, 09:31:33 PM
Ministers cost money.  You can decrease maintenance like the last games for your military, and you can also mothball forts for half the maintenance costs of them but can be really dangerous if you get invaded later.

Interesting. How long does it take to reactive the forts to full strength?

1 Karma Chameleon point

jimmy olsen

Started a game as Prussia, December 1619 with the ascension of George William to the throne (Not an easy start). Took me about 5 in game years but I think I got a rough handle on how things work. Going to take out a loan, raise my military maintance and attack the Commonwealth for my independence in concert with Russia.

1 Karma Chameleon point

Josquius

France still bound to conquer Europe in the latest version?
██████
██████
██████

jimmy olsen

Started over with Brandenburg-Prussia and have done much better. Despite the Commonwealth winning a war with Austria to enforce a personal union over Sweden I managed to win my freedom almost immediately afterward by getting the backing of Russia, France and Brunswick. I then conquered Pomerania and crowned myself the King in Prussia.

Austria made me release Stettin, but I got to keep the other four provinces, so I'm still happy. Pretty good progress for just 12 years in. Now I have to pay off some loans and let my infamy dissipate.

1 Karma Chameleon point

jimmy olsen

Commonwealth attacked Denmark over Gottland for their Swedish territory (Personal Union). I honored the alliance and fought hard for several years before I peaced out with a three province gain that connected my territory. Would have fought to the end, but I ran out of manpower and didn't want to risk further battles. Denmark managed to win the war anyway.

Not a good screen shot, but it shows most of my territory. I also conquered Rostock since my last update. Austria complained but I told them to pound sand and they haven't done anything about it. Ominously, the Commonwealth and Sweden have been inherited by a Hapsburg branch! They were completely wrecked by the Ottomans soon after, and lost half a dozen southern provinces.

1 Karma Chameleon point