News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Europa Universalis IV announced

Started by Octavian, August 10, 2012, 10:05:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DGuller

My issue is that I pay gaming companies to design the game for me, because they're better at it than I am.  When the game is really defined by what combination of 23 DLCs I install, then I feel like they've outsourced game design to me.  It's only a small step removed from playing mods, where the default response to a bad game design decision by the modders is "well, you can change this parameter in the ****.ini file more to your liking".

Caliga

I mean, they need to make money.  So they can either do it this way, or release new versions of EU more frequently than they do.  It's just that now they have a steadier income stream via the DLCs than going for a while with no income, then a huge shot in the arm (or nothing, if a release flops).
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Barrister

What I like about the model is the super fans can pay for the development of these expansions by paying full price, while I can wait 6-12 months and pick them up for 75% off.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

DGuller

Quote from: Caliga on October 04, 2017, 12:19:21 PM
I mean, they need to make money.  So they can either do it this way, or release new versions of EU more frequently than they do.  It's just that now they have a steadier income stream via the DLCs than going for a while with no income, then a huge shot in the arm (or nothing, if a release flops).
I understand the need for a business model that ensures steady income rather than one-time injection, but it is annoying that there are 4096 or so possible versions of EU4 out there.

garbon

Quote from: Barrister on October 04, 2017, 12:35:12 PM
What I like about the model is the super fans can pay for the development of these expansions by paying full price, while I can wait 6-12 months and pick them up for 75% off.

:yes:

Which also makes it viable for them to then flesh out areas that otherwise would not make sense to spend time on.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

FunkMonk

Quote from: Barrister on October 04, 2017, 12:35:12 PM

Bingo.

Just started a Hungary game after not playing for a long while. Becoming the Balkan hegemon and keeping the Ottomans sufficiently countered with alliances and the occasional war is pretty darn fun.  :)
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Josquius

Did anyone get the Chinese one?
I wonder if it makes it fun to play East Asia.

Quote from: DGuller on October 04, 2017, 01:45:08 PM
Quote from: Caliga on October 04, 2017, 12:19:21 PM
I understand the need for a business model that ensures steady income rather than one-time injection, but it is annoying that there are 4096 or so possible versions of EU4 out there.

I can't remember the examples, been too long since I played EU4. But I'm sure there are a few areas where having some DLC but not others will completely bork some nations.

I wonder how long it'll be before they go full SaaS :hmm:
██████
██████
██████

Josephus

It is a damn good game and I do have most of the DLCs, which add continued interest to the game. My only issue is:

1. I don't have the time to play this enough. (sigh)
2. Everytime a new patch/DLC comes out I have to relearn some of the features. Like trade leagues, for instance.

Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

garbon

What we've all been waiting for: they are added native states in....The Philippines!
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Tamas

What's even more fun is the Albanian on their forum complaining that Albania has a tougher start than Austria.

Caliga

Quote from: garbon on November 28, 2017, 11:19:14 AM
What we've all been waiting for: they are added native states in....The Philippines!
:D

The last time I played the OE I had Filipino colonies, so it would have been relevant to that game at least.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

garbon

crazy canuck

Quote from: garbon on January 16, 2018, 06:33:00 AM
Oh my.

I know right.  Cork should definitely not stretch to the West coast.

Sophie Scholl

I keep playing EUIV, but I keep burning out by about 1600 or so.  Too much micromanaging with all of the provinces they keep adding. :(
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

Josephus

Quote from: Benedict Arnold on January 16, 2018, 07:16:38 PM
I keep playing EUIV, but I keep burning out by about 1600 or so.  Too much micromanaging with all of the provinces they keep adding. :(

1600 is pretty quick, but yeah, I'm normally done by 1700
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011