The State of Affairs in Russia

Started by Syt, August 01, 2012, 12:01:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zoupa

Quote from: Valmy on June 01, 2019, 07:01:20 PM
Quote from: Tonitrus on June 01, 2019, 02:14:05 PM
Quote from: Valmy on June 01, 2019, 01:48:48 PM
Quote from: Tonitrus on June 01, 2019, 01:34:58 PM
Hmm, I think it's far more likely it is just lazy/sloppy reporting in lamely trying to sensationalize something that isn't sensational.

So lying and spreading fake stories is good so long as you are doing it for sensationalism or out of laziness?

I guess I don't get the distinction. You are still distorting things and it is still very destructive.

Of course. Tonitrus is not saying anything different though.

Valmy

Quote from: Zoupa on June 01, 2019, 07:48:52 PM
Of course. Tonitrus is not saying anything different though.

I said I didn't understand what he was saying. So therefore I wouldn't know.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Tonitrus

The exasperation is that I went from being the person pointing out the flaw in the article, to then being accused of saying it is "good" because I didn't categorize it zealously enough as "fake news" by suggesting it might be a bit more of a case of Hanlon's razor.

And, in fact, looking at the article again, it is probably not even that bad.  The headline is bit on the sensational side, and while the two polls referenced are very different (which the article mentions, but perhaps doesn't stress adequately), but the true angle of the article appears to be that after the first, open-question poll showed Putin only hitting a 30% mark...which should not be a big deal in a poll of that nature, unless you're a vain autocrat...the Kremlin publicly criticized it and the polling organization quickly issued a new poll with the more narrow question in order to be able t present a higher number in favor of Putin. 

So the article makes a very good point about a polling organization cow-towing to an autocrat, and then sabotages itself with a poor headline, and some not-well-thought out conclusions from the polls (that being that the first poll showed trust in Putin at a "13-year-low of around 30%").

PRC

USS Chancellorsville on the right, RFS Admiral Vinogradov on the left.

PHILIPPINE SEA (June 07, 2019) - At approximately 11:45 am on June 7, 2019 while operating in the Philippine Sea, a Russian destroyer (Udaloy I DD 572) made an unsafe maneuver against USS Chancellorsville (CG-62), closing to ~50-100 feet putting the safety of her crew and ship at risk.

While Chancellorsville was recovering its helicopter on a steady course and speed when the Russian ship DD572 maneuvered from behind and to the right of Chancellorsville accelerated and closed to an unsafe distance of ~50-100 feet.  This unsafe action forced Chancellorsville to execute all engines back full and to maneuver to avoid collision.

We consider Russia's actions during this interaction as unsafe and unprofessional and not in accordance with the International Regulations for Preventing Collisions at Sea (COLREGS), "Rules of the Road," and internationally recognized maritime customs.

This from the US Navy youtube channel with more footage: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5D5H0nlw54&feature=youtu.be

The Brain

I'm sorry, a YouTube clip of Russian hijinx that is more than a few seconds long and doesn't include mocking music or the word blyat? I call fake.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Maladict

Russian warships are still rather good looking. When not rusting away, that is.

celedhring

Quote from: Maladict on June 07, 2019, 11:58:11 AM
Russian warships are still rather good looking. When not rusting away, that is.

Always liked how messy their decks look, with all the missile tubes, several turrets, etc... spread around.

derspiess

Russian stuff is generally ugly.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

grumbler

The Russians do beautiful hulls but are even uglier than Western ships when it comes to superstructure and topside stuff.  Of course, they need twice as much topside stuff if they want to have anything that actually works.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Tonitrus

Quote from: derspiess on June 07, 2019, 04:08:16 PM

They even manage to have their cities look completely ugly from space.

The Brain

Quote from: Tonitrus on June 08, 2019, 03:14:28 AM
Quote from: derspiess on June 07, 2019, 04:08:16 PM

They even manage to have their cities look completely ugly from space.

:o Just like katmai!
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Saladin

"Russia is seeking to bolster its presence in at least 13 countries across Africa by building relations with existing rulers, striking military deals, and grooming a new generation of "leaders" and undercover "agents", leaked documents reveal."

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/jun/11/leaked-documents-reveal-russian-effort-to-exert-influence-in-africa

How retro...
"You'd be better served taxing your conscience for those who deserve your regret."

Syt

They can't just leave it all to China, after all.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Liep

Busy day for Moscow authorities. It'll be interesting to see what sort of protest/response there'll be next Saturday.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-49125045
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Maladict

Navalny is apparently having an allergic reaction while in prison. I'm surprised he lasted this long.