News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The State of Affairs in Russia

Started by Syt, August 01, 2012, 12:01:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

citizen k

Quote from: Pitiful Pathos on August 18, 2012, 04:19:16 PM
We'd better measure her skull shape so as to more accurately classify her.

Nowadays we can use her DNA profile.

grumbler

Quote from: Viking on August 18, 2012, 01:20:30 PM
I was connection her looks  - The Full Lips - The Broad Nose - The Olive Complexion with the Russian predilection for calling Caucasians (as in from the Caucasus) "Black" and US Georgia's Jim Crow Miscegenation laws.

Are you drunk?  Not even Siege uses sentences like "I was connection her looks."  :huh:
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Razgovory

I am willing to fondle her head if that is what is required.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

The Brain

Quote from: citizen k on August 18, 2012, 06:20:36 PM

Nowadays we can use her DNA profile.

DNA doesn't always predict skull shape correctly.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: Ed Anger on August 18, 2012, 08:21:45 PM

I'd fist it.

if you apply to work in russian pententiary facilities you might get that chance yet.

Tonitrus

Quote from: Crazy_Ivan80 on August 19, 2012, 02:29:02 AM

if you apply to work in russian pententiary facilities you might get that chance yet.

He couldn't afford the mafia payoff, and kidnapping insurance (same thing?) to afford a dacha as an oligarch-like westerner.  Best he stick to France.

garbon

http://news.yahoo.com/madonna-sued-russia-supporting-gays-115353017.html

QuoteSome Russian activists have sued Madonna for millions of dollars, claiming they were offended by her support for gay rights during a recent concert in St. Petersburg.

Anti-gay sentiment is strong in Russia. In St. Petersburg, a law passed in February makes it illegal to promote homosexuality to minors, and the author of that law has pointed to the presence of children as young as 12 at Madonna's concert on Aug. 9.

Russian news agencies quote Alexander Pochuyev, a lawyer representing the nine activists, as saying the suit was filed Friday against Madonna, the organizer of her concert, and the hall where it was held, asking for damages totaling 333 million rubles, or nearly $10.5 million.

Responding to criticism that the plaintiffs were stuck in the Middle Ages, the lawyer said they were using civilized, modern methods to defend their rights. "No one is burning anyone at the stake or carrying out an Inquisition," Pochuyev was quoted by RIA Novosti as saying. "Modern civilization requires tolerance and respect for different values."

The complaint includes a video taken at the concert showing Madonna stomping on an Orthodox cross and asking fans to raise their hands to show the pink armbands in support of gays and lesbians that were distributed among the audience, the new agency reported.

Madonna's spokeswoman, Liz Rosenberg, did not immediately respond to emails asking for the singer's reaction to the lawsuit.

Madonna also has angered conservative Russians with her support for Pussy Riot. Three members of the punk band were sentenced Friday to two years in prison for a protest inside Moscow's main cathedral against Vladimir Putin and his cozy relationship with the Russian Orthodox Church.

Madonna spoke out in support of the group during her concert in St. Petersburg and two days earlier in Moscow. After the verdict was issued, Madonna called on "all those who love freedom to condemn this unjust punishment."

I rarely see activist used that way. :P
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

The Minsky Moment

the Russian predilection for calling Caucasians (as in from the Caucasus) "Black"

:lol:
One idiotic system of pseudo-scientific classification slams right into another.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

DGuller

Caucasians are being called "black" in Russia?  Must've started after my time.  As far as I remember, it was always "persons of Caucasian ethnicity", which is a negative enough connotation in its own right.

Grinning_Colossus

I've heard that Azeris in particular get called "blackasses." Though the only Azeri I know is really pale.
Quis futuit ipsos fututores?

Neil

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on August 20, 2012, 12:12:10 PM
the Russian predilection for calling Caucasians (as in from the Caucasus) "Black"

:lol:
One idiotic system of pseudo-scientific classification slams right into another.
Is calling black people 'black' pseudoscientific?
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Queequeg

Quote from: DGuller on August 20, 2012, 12:22:15 PM
Caucasians are being called "black" in Russia?  Must've started after my time.  As far as I remember, it was always "persons of Caucasian ethnicity", which is a negative enough connotation in its own right.
Huh.  This dates from at least the mid-90s.  Heard it used in Balabanov's Brat.
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

DGuller

Quote from: Queequeg on August 20, 2012, 01:25:01 PM
I must not be familiar enough with Russian race speak then.  The thing that doesn't make sense to me is that Russians are perfectly aware that there is a place called Africa, and that mostly African-Americans live there.  They are also perfectly aware that such people are referred to as "black", even if they would usually use the word "negr" (not a slur in Russia).  It seems like calling people from Caucasus black would introduce some confusion in communication.

Barrister

Quote from: DGuller on August 20, 2012, 02:01:10 PM
Quote from: Queequeg on August 20, 2012, 01:25:01 PM
I must not be familiar enough with Russian race speak then.  The thing that doesn't make sense to me is that Russians are perfectly aware that there is a place called Africa, and that mostly African-Americans live there.  They are also perfectly aware that such people are referred to as "black", even if they would usually use the word "negr" (not a slur in Russia).  It seems like calling people from Caucasus black would introduce some confusion in communication.

Through my one-time Ukrainian girlfriend, I met a black russian girl.  Parents were connected in the communist party in some African country, so went to Moscow for training, where they eventually stayed.  Raised their daughter in Russia, where she learned perfect russian, and now spoke english with a russian accent.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.