News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The State of Affairs in Russia

Started by Syt, August 01, 2012, 12:01:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Valmy on August 17, 2012, 04:04:09 PM
Are we really debating about whether leftists or rightists should feel ashamed about Russia?

It's a popular pastime for leftists and rightists.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

The Brain

Shame is such a middle class sentiment.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

derspiess

Quote from: DGuller on August 17, 2012, 03:38:06 PM
I think that an autocratic government that relies on the church to keep the masses obedient is about as rightist as you can get.  There is no waffling around the fact that Putin's Russia is a rightist dictatorship, and not either leftist or unclassifiable.

I can see arguments for right-wing and unclassifiable.  I don't see much distinctly left about Putin's Russia, other than how it appeals to certain aspects of the Soviet era.

I think it's that jumble of right-wing and populism you usually get with fascism (actually I'd call it quasi-fascism in this case).  The right-left spectrum isn't very relevant.  Some variant of the right-left/authoritarian-libertarian chart would be more helpful. 

Going by the World's Smallest Political Quiz, I'd put them in the Statist area.  Using the Political Compass, I'd put them in the Authoritarian Right quadrant, strongly authoritarian but just a little right of center.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Martinus

In other news, gay pride parades have been banned in Russia until 2112, apparently.

Russians = not really humans. More like vermin. Film at 11.

Neil

Quote from: Martinus on August 17, 2012, 05:14:47 PM
In other news, gay pride parades have been banned in Russia until 2112, apparently.

Russians = not really humans. More like vermin. Film at 11.
This from the half-Russian.  :rolleyes:
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

chipwich

Russians lack the moral rectitude to be a free people.

Syt

The user comments on Austrian news sites are amusing.

Conservative Presse: "Well, Russia is shit, but they knew beforehand that they broke the law. So, boo-fucking-hoo."
Populist Krone (adjusted spelling): "Over hear, nazi songriters go to jail 2. And if they had pulled the stunt in a moskue, then all them lefties would defend the Mooslims!"
Left-wing Standard: "Russia, noooo! You're playing into the hands of the Amerikkkans and make them win!"
:lol:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Tamas

Quote from: Syt on August 18, 2012, 02:04:15 AM
The user comments on Austrian news sites are amusing.

Conservative Presse: "Well, Russia is shit, but they knew beforehand that they broke the law. So, boo-fucking-hoo."
Populist Krone (adjusted spelling): "Over hear, nazi songriters go to jail 2. And if they had pulled the stunt in a moskue, then all them lefties would defend the Mooslims!"
Left-wing Standard: "Russia, noooo! You're playing into the hands of the Amerikkkans and make them win!"

Russia is an evil place. It's as if the mongol hordes converted to Orthodox.
The best you can hope for is that they continue to eat themselves up, because if they manage to recover and be strong again, they will move westward again, like they always do.
Again, mongol hordes.

Syt

One thing that strikes me about Russia is their huge paranoia. Whatever anyone does anywhere, they seem to think it all serves to keep them down.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Scipio

I just earned the advance Physiocracy, and I crushed the Crimean tartarts with Mazepa's host.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

Viking

Quote from: Syt on August 18, 2012, 04:29:24 AM
One thing that strikes me about Russia is their huge paranoia. Whatever anyone does anywhere, they seem to think it all serves to keep them down.

Historically paranoia has been the correct response. It's just that today there is a new force on Russia's western border, a force that wishes to see a happy, prosperous and sane Russia.... with an emphasis on sane.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Grinning_Colossus

Quis futuit ipsos fututores?

OttoVonBismarck

I think because Russia is so close to Europe and has historically had a lot of dealings with the "West" it's easy to forget they aren't part of the West, Russia's behavior isn't remarkable if it was happening in China or Myanmar. Russia is just being Russia and Russians are just being Russians, this is how they are.

Grinning_Colossus

Was Spain not Western until 40 years ago, then?
Quis futuit ipsos fututores?

Viking

First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.