As India's kids starve, $1.5 billion worth of grain rots

Started by jimmy olsen, July 02, 2012, 03:59:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Martinus

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on July 02, 2012, 08:09:54 AM
Quote from: Faeelin on July 02, 2012, 07:41:52 AM
Tim, why is this worse than American grain rotting while Indian kids starve?
Presumably because it is in India, not America, and the Indian government should be helping feed Indian kids with India grain.  The American grain is rotting in silos in America, which is not a train ride away, and the American Government is not necessarily responsible for feeding American Grain to Indian Kids, if the Indian Government is not concerned with it.

You realize that India is called a sub-continent for a reason, right? It's fucking huge. It's like complaining there is so much snow in North Canada and people in New Mexico die of heat.

Martinus

Quote from: jimmy olsen on July 02, 2012, 08:48:13 AM
This is an Indian problem that is within India's capability to solve.

How the fuck do you know that? Are you that familiar with their transport infrastructure that you are certain they are capable of having the grain loaded on trains, then unloaded and distributed to people on the entire sub-continent before it goes bad?

Martinus

Quote from: DGuller on July 02, 2012, 08:36:30 AM
I hate these kinds of articles.  Yes, 3,000 children die every day from malnutrition, but how many children do not die?  Context is everything.

Apparently, the Indian population goes up by app. 42,000 people each day (not just births but a difference between births and deaths).

http://www.medindia.net/patients/calculators/pop_clock.asp

Martinus

Quote from: derspiess on July 02, 2012, 11:51:34 AM
I'm showing this thread to my kid when he won't eat his green beans tonight.

So that he grows up with a IQ high enough not to be a cretin like Tim, right?

Martinus

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 02, 2012, 03:32:01 PM
Quote from: Faeelin on July 02, 2012, 08:13:37 AM
Why should you care less that children are starving because they were born in a different country?

Because starving Americans will have a higher likelihood of returning the favor after they're fed.

Fucking pervert. You disgust me.  :x

Grey Fox

Quote from: Martinus on July 03, 2012, 01:47:54 AM

How the fuck do you know that? Are you that familiar with their transport infrastructure that you are certain they are capable of having the grain loaded on trains, then unloaded and distributed to people on the entire sub-continent before it goes bad?

Because if they don't have one they have the capability to build one.

Stop aiming at Tim & go back to trolling all of us.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Grey Fox on July 03, 2012, 07:41:40 AM
Quote from: Martinus on July 03, 2012, 01:47:54 AM

Because if they don't have one they have the capability to build one.

Yup, India definitely has the economic resources to build the rail capacity to do that if they so wish.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: Martinus on July 03, 2012, 01:44:14 AM
Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on July 02, 2012, 08:09:54 AM
Quote from: Faeelin on July 02, 2012, 07:41:52 AM
Tim, why is this worse than American grain rotting while Indian kids starve?
Presumably because it is in India, not America, and the Indian government should be helping feed Indian kids with India grain.  The American grain is rotting in silos in America, which is not a train ride away, and the American Government is not necessarily responsible for feeding American Grain to Indian Kids, if the Indian Government is not concerned with it.

You realize that India is called a sub-continent for a reason, right? It's fucking huge. It's like complaining there is so much snow in North Canada and people in New Mexico die of heat.
I am aware.  That was not the question though.
PDH!