And we're back!

Main Menu

The Miscellaneous PC & vidya Games Thread

Started by Syt, June 26, 2012, 12:12:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

Quote from: Valmy on May 27, 2019, 11:25:02 PM
Quote from: Syt on May 25, 2019, 05:34:02 AM
So Valmy, how goes your career as judge of the revolution?

Oh it is fun. I am honor bound to play every France based game in French and usually that is no big deal since most of the time it is a strategy game of some sort. But this time I have to pay careful attention to exactly what is said and that is a little tricky :P

:)

If you want to learn a bit Chinese (or wait for a [fan] translation), there's also what appears to be Final Fantasy Tactics set in the French Revolution with anime girls. :P

https://store.steampowered.com/app/994730/_Banner_of_the_Maid/

QuoteBanner of the Maid is a Turn-Based Strategy Game set in the late 18th century to early 19th century, based on the alternative history of the French Revolution.
At the end of 18th century, as the House of Bourbon was on the verge of clasping, Louis XVI of France planned to secretly escape from his country. Starting from the French Revolution, the wave of chaos swiped across Europe. Follow the steps of our protagonist, the young female officer Pauline Bonaparte, to start her journey as a regular officer and win battles both on the battlefront and in the political vortex of Paris, and finally write her own heroic story.

In the heat of the French Revolution, the Royalists, Club des Feuillants, Club des Jacobins and Malmaisons, various factions contend with each other on the grand stage of Paris. Starting from the eye of storm, the Malmaison Salon, Pauline Bonaparte have to approach the factions, complete their quests and challenges in order to establish connections with political figures and win over their support, gather funding to improve her weaponry and equipments, secure army supplies while she also tries to discover and unveiled the secrets of the Maids that are buried deep inside the City.

The storm of the French Revolution and the mysterious Maids had changed the fate of the entire Europe.
The revolution is a time of heroes: talented and trustworthy generals, secret agents of the Royal Family, even musicians who possesses extraordinary talents. More than 30 characters with distinct background will be available for you to command. Hire them to be one of your own, understand their stories and cultivate them to be your unstoppable force on the battlefields.

Command the iconic troops of the 18th and 19th century such as Line Infantry, Skirmisher, Calvary, Artillery and much more through the Turn-Based Strategy combats to experience the reimagined European battlegrounds.
Train your commanders to improve their abilities and learn the appropriate tactical skills, defeat powerful enemies!

Over 30 maps, including cities, plains, snowy mountains, etc. Utilize the unique elements on the battlefields to ensure advantages.
- Critical terrain elements that provide advantages and disadvantages during battles;
- Different key locations that provide unique support to different types of troops;
- Special events that take place on the battleground as the story progresses;
- Environment changes such as storm, heavy snow, thick fog, dark nights, etc.

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Grey Fox

Xbox Game Pass is coming to PC, officially.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

mongers

Quote from: Grey Fox on May 30, 2019, 10:37:21 AM
Xbox Game Pass is coming to PC, officially.

What does that mean?

Will I be able to play xbox 360 games like Civilization revolutions 2 on my pc for a monthly rental? :unsure:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Grey Fox

Maybe.

Microsoft hasn't detailed the offer yet. On the Console sides it offers 200+ games, both old & new for a cool 10$(13cad)/month
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

mongers

Quote from: Grey Fox on May 30, 2019, 04:16:06 PM
Maybe.

Microsoft hasn't detailed the offer yet. On the Console sides it offers 200+ games, both old & new for a cool 10$(13cad)/month

Thanks for the reply Grey fox, always good to have someone knowledgeable around to ask. :cheers:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Syt

https://store.steampowered.com/app/921430/Genius_NAZIGIRL_GoePPelsChan_ep1/

QuoteGenius! NAZI-GIRL GoePPels-Chan ep1

This is a slightly different history to the world we know.
An anti-war visual novel parody set in 1930s Germany where you play Goeppels-chan, the Minister of Propaganda, and have to keep the Fuhrer happy.
The game has several routes - see if you can find the good ending.

Direction/Writing
Nao Minda

Illustration
Kiichi

Voice actors
Geli Goeppels/Gumi Kinoshita

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Syt

There is a sequel: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1063080/Genius_NAZIGIRL_GoePPelsChan_ep2/

QuoteThis is a slightly different history to the world we know. Having been appointed propaganda minister at the age of 14, the genius girl. Geri Goeppels, together with her private secretaries Rolly and Flute, is up to all sorts of secret maneuvers. This time,I'm going to make a propaganda animation.

—Stephen Jay Gould

Tonitrus

If CdM were here, I'm sure he'd say something relevant about Japan and atom bombs.

KRonn

I've been playing HOI4 MTG a lot, and lately got back into Imperialism II for a more leisurely type game. Still a fun game.  :)

FunkMonk

Been playing Total War 3 Kingdoms over the weekend and it's so good I'm losing track of time. I have to pull myself away from it and get, like, real life work done, but it's hard.  :lol:

CA did a fantastic job on the strategy layer, including diplomacy. I'm pretty happy I skipped Imperator and picked this up instead.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Tamas

Quote from: FunkMonk on June 02, 2019, 11:05:13 AM
Been playing Total War 3 Kingdoms over the weekend and it's so good I'm losing track of time. I have to pull myself away from it and get, like, real life work done, but it's hard.  :lol:

CA did a fantastic job on the strategy layer, including diplomacy. I'm pretty happy I skipped Imperator and picked this up instead.

I agree. It is awesome.

Caliga

My favorite ever Total War was M:TW2 Kingdoms, specifically the scenario where you're the Spanish conquering Mexico.  Not sure why I liked that one so much, but it was awesome.  Anyway, I'll probably pick this one up based on the reviews you guys are giving it and also that I love the underlying history with this one.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

crazy canuck

I bought the Viking themed one last year but wasn't that impressed with the strategic depth and while the battles looked great, after a while even that became a bit monotonous.  What makes this version different?

The Brain

Sweet. I bought it, but I won't be playing it until I've finished reading the Romance (Penguin abridged version).
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Tamas

Quote from: crazy canuck on June 02, 2019, 03:09:17 PM

I bought the Viking themed one last year but wasn't that impressed with the strategic depth and while the battles looked great, after a while even that became a bit monotonous.  What makes this version different?

I guess the overall depth and complexity of the systems aren't drastically different, although there are differences. In 3K there is almost a CK2 level focus on characters and their relationships to each other. This was present in Britannia as well but much less prominent. The strategic gameplay is much more nuanced and interesting in 3K. The tactical battles are a little mediocre in contrast. They are ok but certainly nothing exciting.

Overall, Three Kingdoms is a much, much smoother experience than Britannia, or much of the Total Wars before it. The different elements, including graphics and the UI really come together. There are some wonky stuff of course, in particular the complex web of diplomacy can be confusing at times. But that's a minor annoyance in what is a great game.