News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Miscellaneous PC & vidya Games Thread

Started by Syt, June 26, 2012, 12:12:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Valmy

Quote from: Syt on May 18, 2019, 03:10:49 AM
I like Imperator. :(

You do? I am glad. I hope it goes on to great success.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

celedhring

Waiting for the big patch to give Imperator a proper go. Not that I have much time for gaming anyway...

Valmy

Thanks for the tip Syt! I am installing the Revolutionary Tribunal game as I type. Many traitors will have a little shave from the national razor.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

mongers

Quote from: crazy canuck on March 19, 2018, 09:39:29 AM
Thea: the awakening - wow I have not had this much fun with a computer game in a very long time.  And it is 50% off until, I think, today.

A very intelligent blend of city builder, crafting game and rpg. 

A good salve to brackets getting destroyed in the NCAA tourney.

Again thanks for the tip CC, I actually got around to getting this and it seems real interesting from the couple of hours I've played.

Also it's for sale on Steam for like 5 bucks at the moment.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Syt

Quote from: Valmy on May 23, 2019, 09:02:45 PM
Thanks for the tip Syt! I am installing the Revolutionary Tribunal game as I type. Many traitors will have a little shave from the national razor.
:thumbsup:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Tamas

The praise was too much to bear, I have bought Three Kingdoms.

So far it's pretty great.

The Brain

I got Total War: THREE KINGDOMS. He Man looks nothing like Dolph. :huh:
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Syt

So Valmy, how goes your career as judge of the revolution?
—Stephen Jay Gould

Syt

So I've been modding Oblivion using Bevilex's mod list to make it look acceptable in this day and age, and also added some gameplay mods from Maskar's Overhaul (heavily tweaked, because I don't like everything that's in it).

I can play for an hour or two at a time before I get bored. Compared to Morrowind, the gfx are obviously much prettier, combat is better, and the design of side quests is generally better. However, what's missing is the world building/lore. Morrowind was an alien place, but that's not even the key.

Vvardenfell with its inhabitants felt like an organic whole. You had the three houses (Telvanni, Redoran, Hlaalu), with their territories and provincial capitals. You had the Ashlander clans. The Dwemer ruins. Desolate wastelands, and lush farmland. All of which was connected by a rich, underlying lore and a history that was remembered and interpreted differently by the various factions. Then you had the outside conquerors with the Empire and their Legion who came for ebony, and their settlements like the main port of Ebonheart right next to Vivec, or Caldera the ebony mining town. You have the guilds you can join, the Tribunal Temple, the Legion, and the Imperial Cult.

Again, all feels interconnected and part of a "real" world.

Oblivion feels more like a theme park of stuff to do, but with little connection between the various hubs. It's a mosaic of disconnected stones, not an interwoven tapestry. I believe you can pull off the medieval Central Europe setting well - look at Gothic 2, or the Witcher series.

In Oblivion everything seems a lot less integrated with one another. Part of it may be the fully voiced dialogues. Morrowind could put a lot of its world building in the exposition dialogues of NPCs who you could ask about tons of stuff. Oblivion can't have those info dumps (and if it did, it would be a lot more tedious as voiced dialogue if you want to sit through it instead of quickly reading it).
—Stephen Jay Gould

Syt

I liked Panzer Corps. It's a nice Panzer General clone, with tons of scenarios (wait for a sale because the amount of add ons is silly).

Panzer Corps 2 will apparently feature randomized maps. And they're using this splash art. Jesus, that looks like one of those mobile game ads.

:x
—Stephen Jay Gould

Syt

—Stephen Jay Gould

Valmy

Quote from: Syt on May 25, 2019, 05:34:02 AM
So Valmy, how goes your career as judge of the revolution?

Oh it is fun. I am honor bound to play every France based game in French and usually that is no big deal since most of the time it is a strategy game of some sort. But this time I have to pay careful attention to exactly what is said and that is a little tricky :P

Zoupa