News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Miscellaneous PC & vidya Games Thread

Started by Syt, June 26, 2012, 12:12:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper37

Quote from: FunkMonk on February 21, 2019, 11:39:23 PM
I played some RDR2 tonight and I was struck how different I feel when I'm playing that game versus when I was playing Anthem last week. The world of RDR2 feels alive, real, and immersive. Its characters are fully-fleshed out people, and the dialogue is well written. Anthem's world feel generic and born in a board room, and it's characters are one-note and boring, if not outright annoying half the time.
What you're saying is, making 2 games for the price of one doesn't really work? ;)

Who would have thought gutting Mass Effect 4's team to build Anthem would result in 2 mediocre games?

I wonder who's the genius now at Bioware.

It does not bode well for DA4.  :(
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

mongers

I'm getting a bit board with the consumer churn with Steam games; I find myself wasting time reading game reviews on.

Maybe time to put it to be for a while?

edit:

Think I'll not bother buying games till next Winter, when it'll be more appropriate.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Valmy

Quote from: viper37 on February 22, 2019, 01:01:13 PM

It does not bode well for DA4.  :(

At this point I will be shocked if we even see a single player RPG from Bioware again. DA4 or not. I hope to be pleasantly surprised...
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

mongers

Found 'Endless Space' in my uninstalled steam 'queue', I think it's a rather neat space 4x, I especially like the planetary system graphics.

Habbaku

Endless Space 2 is really good. If you like the first one, then you'll really enjoy the second.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

crazy canuck

I have been thinking about trying that.  What did you like about 2?

mongers

Quote from: Habbaku on March 07, 2019, 10:17:19 AM
Endless Space 2 is really good. If you like the first one, then you'll really enjoy the second.

Thanks for the recommendation, I'll try it once I've 'played out' the first one.

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Syt on March 07, 2019, 12:50:28 PM
Diablo 1 is now on GOG.

The original crack that caused my arpg addiction.

Syt

I wonder if it's a coincidence that they release it a day before a new league for Path of Exile starts. :P

Also, Warcraft 1 & 2 will come to GOG.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

mongers

Quote from: Syt on March 07, 2019, 01:33:03 PM
I wonder if it's a coincidence that they release it a day before a new league for Path of Exile starts. :P

Also, Warcraft 1 & 2 will come to GOG.

:cool:

Thanks Syt.

Syt

—Stephen Jay Gould

Syt

Possibly the most epic round of Street Fighter EVER: https://twitter.com/Demondesign/status/1106589076696850432?s=20

(Haven't played since II on SNES, funny how many moves I still recognize in the modern incarnation :D )
—Stephen Jay Gould

Syt

https://store.steampowered.com/app/784150/Workers__Resources_Soviet_Republic/

QuoteABOUT THIS GAME
- Manage all aspects of your own republic with planned economy, including mining resources, manufacturing goods, construction, investments, and citizens too.
- Create your own industrial complexes with loading and unloading stations, storage, warehouses, and factories.
- Build the infrastructure and manage its traffic, including roads, railways, sidewalks, conveyors, wiring, and pipelines. Wisely place and connect factories, houses and warehouses, and make the most efficient connections.
- Plan and build the living areas with everything your citizens may need to live their happy life, such as playgrounds, cinema s, taverns, and shops.
- Send your citizens to the mine to get coal, iron and other natural resources; or send them to the fields to pick up the crops; or take them to factories to produce manufactured goods.
- Sell and purchase resources and goods from western countries or other soviet countries to get dollars or rubles and buy the products or resources you need ... or invest in new infrastructure or buildings.
- Enjoy authentic soviet buildings and vehicles, as well as realistic landscapes of the 60's to the 90's.
- Play the way you want! You can focus on getting natural resources or products and trade them for money; or you can build a self-sufficient republic; or you can just use the easy sandbox mode with unlimited money/resources and just enjoy building something live.
- Economic simulation. Prices of resources on the global market are changing over time as you play –one day you can sell or purchase steel for a $100 per ton, but in a few months the cost can rise to $200 or decrease to $50. The price of everything is connected to the cost of work and resources.
- Increasing difficulty.As prices change, the demands of the citizens also change, and you will need more resources to keep them happy and force them to work.

Early access, but they say all mentioned features are in the game, and that they'll work on balancing and polishing and that they're looking for community feedback for new content. Currently sitting at 83% positive reviews out of ca. 700. Saw a few streamers play this on the weekend - doesn't seem too shoddy. :)
—Stephen Jay Gould

KRonn

I've been playing HOI4 with the new Man The Guns expansion. So far it seems good, lots of new stuff and concepts. Naval battles seem better, more options for your ships and more research items for equipment to specialize ships to what you want/need. I do like the ability to train up ships and air units like you can do for land units. I'm liking the way resources are handled, such as oil which is needed to build units but also to move, train and when fighting. Similar to how oil was handled in earlier versions of HOI (2 or 3).