News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Miscellaneous PC & vidya Games Thread

Started by Syt, June 26, 2012, 12:12:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

The Brain

Quote from: Tamas on August 12, 2019, 08:42:44 AM
Does anyone else struggle with the graphics style of Age of Wonders Planetfall?

I mean, it is very pretty, but both the strategic and tactical views are so busy with items and colours that I find it exhausting to extract actual information from it. I need to take breaks from it every half an hour or so.

I had this with AoW3 too as well, for what it's worth, but not this much.

Yes. I didn't care much for the visual style of AoW3, and Planetfall being more of the same style with extra clash of colors makes me not playing it. God I loved Shadow Magic.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Saladin

Thinking about getting a new wargame and I'm looking for something a bit like TOAW. Anyone got any tips or should I just get Toaw?
"You'd be better served taxing your conscience for those who deserve your regret."

The Brain

Playing a bit of Battlefield 5. I've always liked Battlefield. :)

KRonn

Playing a good amount of Banished, with Colonial Charter mod and a few smaller mods for houses and such. Fun game to relax with.

I've been playing a lot of HOI4, enjoying playing the Japanese which I never really used to play much but it's become a favorite. Also getting into Victoria 2 here and there.

Syt

During my playthrough of Morrowind with the (very lore friendly) Rebirth mod last year, with the recommended gfx mods added, I took well over 100 screenshots, and a slideshow of that folder is still my desktop background. I will have to return some day, esp. since Rebirth has been update a few times since then.

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

The Brain

Josquius

I got bored of moonlighter. It angered me with its unexplained knock out mechanic

I have started to play driver San Francisco. Made in 2011 on the ps3 it holds up well.
This has got me thinking about how slow video game technology has developed this past decade. In the past there's no way something 8 years old would still hold up.
I'm wondering whether the financial crash is to blame or that we have reached a simple point where improvements are neglible. I have never bought a ps4 and will likely hold out till ps5. There are ps4 games I'd like to play but they don't look like anything the 3 could not handle.
██████
██████
██████

Syt

I think you can see it in consoles too - from the 8 bit generation on every new generation was a major leap. 16 bit, CD ROMs, better 3D graphics, HD graphics ... up till the PS3 and XBox 360. PS4 and XB1 seemed like minor upgrades compared to the previous generations, and the only new things they come up with is more online functionality and 4k resolutions.

When I bought a 360 it was more affordable than a PC or gaming laptop with similar capabilities. Now consoles seem to play catch up to what PCs can do. And the old days of plopping in the game and start playing are also over. You have to install the games, download updates etc.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Josquius

First Battletech impressions - :(

So...slow...and...plodding.
Moving units one by one across the map....
██████
██████
██████

Syt

15th Century Double Feature, both games under €10 each.

FIT FOR A KING

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1110380/Fit_For_a_King/

QuoteReform the church to divorce and marry as you please. Marry foreign princesses, or, heck, your favourite bookshelf. Or both. Jail your steward. Execute everyone. Ordain your horse as a priest. Knight your bed. Who's going to stop you? God? Nope. Not after you become the Pope.

This is no game of thrones. This is real life, as Henry VIII would have lived it, if only he had the imagination.

England, 1520. As the king or queen of this nation, you've been challenged to out-spend your rival, King Frank, at the Field of the Cloth of Gold. With the help of your staff and sycophants, you might be able to do it. Except you've misplaced your gold all over the castle... time to find all those chests and collect all those taxes!

Maybe you'll bankrupt the country, but at least you'll have a good time doing it.

- 26 royal commands, including (M)arry, e(X)ecute, (C)ollect taxes, (B)less, (K)night, (P)lay Lute and (R)eform Church.
- Play as King or Queen and rewrite the laws to suit your whim.
- Non-linear adventure sandbox simulation. Rule your kingdom or wreak havoc in it, as you prefer.
- Meet Machiavelli, Suleiman the Magnificent, and more, in incredible historical realism.
- Original music tracks by Visager Music, as well as an adaptation of Henry VIII's masterwork, Pastime in Good Company.
- A bear. Beware.

Humiliate King Frank with your wealth and excess, or die trying.

ASTROLOGASTER

https://store.steampowered.com/app/742520/Astrologaster/

QuotePlay as 'Doctor' Simon Forman - unlicensed medical professional and astrologer - and help him win a medical licence. Astrologaster is a narrative-based comedy game.

Explore Forman's life, his work, and his relationships with his clients. Make story choices by performing astrological readings. Choose strategically or make decisions just for fun - but be aware that your choices will have consequences (and unpredictable side effects!)

13 clients come to see you 5-7 times seeking advice for personal, professional and medical problems. By examining the stars in the sky, you diagnose and determine answers for your clients' problems. As well as affecting the storyline, these choices will alter your clients' satisfaction levels. Satisfied clients will write you letters of recommendation, and with enough of these letters you can obtain a medical licence from the University of Cambridge.

So-called "real" (licensed) doctors call Forman a quack and fraud. Help Forman prove these medical establishment elitists wrong!

- Perform real* astrology: Examine the sky and choose astrological interpretations that Forman will use to advise his patients. (But remember: astrology is not an exact science!)
- Solve Hilarious Problems: Consult on problems ranging from Elizabethan terror plots and foul diseases, to romantic entanglements and stolen pies!
- Change Lives: Win your patients' favour or ruin their lives. Advise 14 characters who return 5-7 times. Patients have their own ongoing stories which often overlap with each other. Use gossip from some characters to guide and manipulate others.
- Win A Medical Licence: Convince patients to write letters of recommendations. Collect enough letters to exchange them for a medical licence.
- Fully Voiced Character Dialogue: Sitcom-style comedy brought to life by a cast of over a dozen actors.
- Sing Along: Enjoy Renaissance-era music and sing along to each character's theme song.
- Casebooks Come Alive: Simon Forman's cases are presented as a beautiful pop-up book. Turn pages to delve deeper into your patients' stories.

The Story

London, 1592. A great plague sweeps through the capital. When doctors flee the city in fear, a hero rises. His name is Simon Forman, "Doctor" of Astrology, Astronomy and Physick. Not only does he have the power to cure the sick, he can find their lost pets and predict their futures! All by reading the movements of the stars.

But when the plague ends, Forman's problems begin. The real doctors return to London and they will stop at nothing to bring him down...

Astrologaster is a story-driven astrological comedy game set in Shakespeare's London. Based on a true - and truly ridiculous - story. Simon Forman was considered a sage by some and a charlatan by others. What will your legacy be? Will you put your faith in the stars?

—Stephen Jay Gould

Tonitrus

Quote from: Syt on October 01, 2019, 12:22:41 PM
15th Century Double Feature, both games under €10 each.

FIT FOR A KING

Richard Garriot called and wants his Ultima IV graphics/interface back.

Josquius

Has anyone else had steam lose their organisation?

Twice now it has totally lost my folders.
██████
██████
██████

Tamas

Well, I was travelling and forgot to cancel my Uplay free trial in time. :P So I guess I'll be playing Ghost Recon Breakpoint (sp?) for a month.

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.