Main Menu

The Miscellaneous PC & vidya Games Thread

Started by Syt, June 26, 2012, 12:12:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

HMS now available on Steam:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/688660/Her_Majestys_Ship/

QuoteRISE THROUGH THE RANKS TO FLEET ADMIRAL

Start your career as a Captain on a 3rd rate Ship of the Line, then work your way up to become the next Admiral of the Fleet.The primary objective of the game is to be promoted to Admiral of the Fleet, without having any mutiny nor losing the vessel.

The player will receive tasks from the admiralty which will need to be executed in order to get the desired promotion.

LOOK AFTER YOUR CREW AND PREVENT A MUTINY AT ALL COSTS

The Navy doesn't take lightly to having a crew mutiny onboard one of their vessels, its a career limiting move.Along the way, the player will be challenged with various tasks and tempted with targets of opportunity, whilst keeping the crew happy and not ending with a mutiny.

OUT-THINK AND OUTPLAY YOUR OPPONENTS

Multiplayer and Co-Op games will pit you against the AI and other human opponents.The player can command a British, Spanish, French or Portuguese Man-o-War, ruling the waves and clearing it of the enemy and pirates.

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

crazy canuck

That is something I think I will really enjoy.  Thanks for posting it!

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Tonitrus

Quote from: The Brain on July 12, 2019, 01:27:55 PM
Where is the lash?

You unlock it after completing the sodomy puzzle minigame.

Sophie Scholl

Anyone have experience with Columbia Block Games?  They're running a kickstarter for a computer port of their Richard III board game.  I'm a huge fan of the era and will probably buy-in regardless, but I was curious if some of the grognards here had any thoughts on the company.  Linkage here: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/787937257/blocks-columbia-block-wargaming-on-your-pc-and-mac
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

The Brain

Quote from: Benedict Arnold on July 13, 2019, 03:07:58 AM
Anyone have experience with Columbia Block Games?  They're running a kickstarter for a computer port of their Richard III board game.  I'm a huge fan of the era and will probably buy-in regardless, but I was curious if some of the grognards here had any thoughts on the company.  Linkage here: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/787937257/blocks-columbia-block-wargaming-on-your-pc-and-mac

Haven't played their games, but maybe I own the Richard III boardgame. Don't remember.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Barrister

Quote from: Syt on July 12, 2019, 11:19:52 AM

Speaking as a man who not only has every single Patrick O'Brien book (and has read them multiple times), but has his own personal early 19th century uniform of a RN Captain, this might just appeal to my interests...
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

frunk

Quote from: Benedict Arnold on July 13, 2019, 03:07:58 AM

CBG has released some great games.  My particular favorites are Quebec 1759 and Rommel in the Desert.  I have no idea how good they will be about adapting their games, although much of the design reasoning behind blocks (hidden information from opponent without making it difficult to see your own position) doesn't exist on the computer.

Syt

Quote from: Barrister on July 14, 2019, 06:36:07 PM

Speaking as a man who not only has every single Patrick O'Brien book (and has read them multiple times), but has his own personal early 19th century uniform of a RN Captain, this might just appeal to my interests...

I thought of you when posting this. That said, the player reviews seem to be on the mediocre side so far, and Tim Stone's preview on RockPaperShotgun a few weeks ago was also not glowing.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

crazy canuck

Quote from: Barrister on July 14, 2019, 06:36:07 PM

I had the same thought but while this game could be a way to role play the books it is not close to being that kind of experience.  It is more about constant micro management of stations in a race against an opponent to reach the top rank.  They need to remove the race and make it more of a sandbox career game to make it enjoyable.

Barrister

Yeah the reviews I read were universally not positive, so I didn't pursue any further.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Josquius

Battletech is on sale.

Good time to buy?
Whats the status with DLC? - this is a quasi-paradox game.....
██████
██████
██████

Syt

I picked up Rule the Waves 2. I didn't play 1 (though I own it), and look forward to blundering my way through 5 decades of naval history (I have little knowledge of it, but I guess I can at least learn some terms with the game :D ).
—Stephen Jay Gould